EPL

'Nothing is decided on my future', insists Pogba

By Sports Desk March 27, 2022

Paul Pogba is keeping his options open after claiming "nothing is decided" on his future, with the Manchester United midfielder's contract expiring at the end of the season.

The France international has had an up and down career at Old Trafford since returning from Juventus in 2016.

Speaking to Telefoot, Pogba addressed his current feelings about life at United, suggesting that playing for the national team has been a welcome break from club matters.

"You have to tell the truth: there were difficult times, especially when I have been in Manchester," he said. 

"When I'm not playing or when the results are not there, coming here [to the France national team] gives you a boost."

Pogba has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and former club Juve, but would not rule out signing an extension with United.

"Nothing is decided on my future, there is nothing done. I can decide tomorrow, as I can decide during the transfer window. I want to come back and finish the season well."

Pogba – who has scored 39 goals and registered 47 assists in 222 appearances for the club in all competitions in his second spell – also aired his frustration at the lack of trophies, with United out of the FA Cup and Champions League and seem set to face an uphill battle to finish in the top four in the Premier League.

The 29-year-old spent some time out of action with a thigh injury earlier in the season, and also saw another change of manager at Old Trafford, with Ralf Rangnick replacing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on an interim basis.

"How do I judge my season? It's difficult because there have been a lot of events," Pogba continued. "Between the change of coach and the injury... We no longer have a title to play for, so it is neutral.

"I want to win titles, I want to play for something. Whether it's this year or even the last few years, we haven't won a title. That's what's sad, in the end."

Related items

  • Rodri suggests Arsenal's mentality cost them Premier League title Rodri suggests Arsenal's mentality cost them Premier League title

    Rodri has suggested Arsenal's mentality cost them the Premier League title, after Manchester City became the first team to win four straight English top-flight crowns.

    City edged out Arsenal by two points on the final day of the season, their 3-1 win over West Ham ensuring the Gunners' comeback victory over Everton was immaterial.

    Rodri scored the crucial third goal just before the hour mark to settle nerves at the Etihad Stadium, after Mohammed Kudus had drawn West Ham within one goal.

    City finished the season with nine straight wins after playing out a 0-0 draw with Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium in late March, while the Gunners dropped three points in a 2-0 home defeat to Aston Villa in April.

    Reflecting on that goalless draw, Rodri accused Arsenal of settling for a point and hinted a lack of bravery had cost them.

    Asked by Optus Sport for the secret behind City's success, Rodri pointed to his head as he said: "To be honest, I think it's in here. It's the mentality.

    "Arsenal, also they deserved [to win the league], they did an unbelievable season, but I think the difference was in here.

    "When they came here, they faced us at the Etihad, I saw them and said, 'Ah, these guys, they don't want to beat us, they just want a draw.'

    "That mentality… I don't think we would do it the same way. We caught them. 

    "At the end, if you give us one point, we will win the last seven, eight games even though it's so tough. So I think it comes down to mentality."

    Rodri did not taste defeat in the Premier League throughout 2023-24, with all three of City's losses coming when the Spaniard was suspended.

    He has now gone unbeaten through his last 50 Premier League matches, with only former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell enjoying a longer such streak (56 games between 2002 and 2004).

    City's historic triumph means they have surpassed the achievements of Huddersfield Town (1923-1926), Arsenal (1932-35), Liverpool (1981-1984) and Manchester United (1998-2001 and 2006-2009), all of whom won three straight top-flight titles.

    They could also become the first team to ever win back-to-back league and FA Cup doubles on Saturday, when they face Manchester United in the final of the latter competition at Wembley Stadium. 

  • Xavi unhappy with fans booing Laporta during Rayo Vallecano win Xavi unhappy with fans booing Laporta during Rayo Vallecano win

    Xavi criticised some of the Barcelona fans for booing and negative chants towards club president Joan Laporta during their 3-0 win over Rayo Vallecano on Sunday.

    Barcelona sealed second place in LaLiga with the victory, also guaranteeing a place in the Spanish Super Cup at the start of 2025.

    However, speculation about Xavi’s future continues to dominate the headlines around the club, with reports suggesting the Spaniard could be sacked despite committing a U-turn to stay at the club after announcing his departure.

    During the game, Xavi received a standing ovation, while some of the fans were heard opposing Laporta.

    "On the one hand, I want to thank the people for being with me on a personal level," Xavi said. "But I don't like it when they point to a person, whether it's the president or a player. We need unity. It's a nasty situation that I don't like."

    A meeting between Xavi and Laporta is reportedly set for the end of the season, and the manager has dismissed claims that he has a bad relationship with the president.

    "We have enough trust so far and a friendly relationship to talk about it [his future]," Xavi said.

    "I understand the whole mess, but I haven't been informed [about being fired]. The confidence hasn't changed, I think. If it changes, we will inform you.

    "I continue with the maximum ambition, absolutely nothing has changed about mine. I want to start next season with the utmost enthusiasm.

    "The president has always been honest, and I'm sure he will continue to be so when we see each other."

  • Outgoing Brighton boss De Zerbi not walking into new job Outgoing Brighton boss De Zerbi not walking into new job

    Roberto De Zerbi insisted he does not have another job lined up after overseeing his final game as Brighton and Hove Albion boss on Sunday.

    One day after surprisingly announcing De Zerbi's departure, Brighton ended their Premier League campaign with a 2-0 home loss to Manchester United.

    That meant they slipped below rivals Crystal Palace to finish 11th in the table, their first bottom-half placing since finishing 16th in 2020-21.

    De Zerbi has been linked with several big clubs since leading Brighton to European qualification last season, with Bayern Munich, Milan and Napoli touted as possible landing spots for the former Sassuolo and Shakhtar Donetsk coach.

    However, De Zerbi says he has not reached an agreement with any other club, telling reporters: "There isn't any club – no-one offered me anything. At the moment, nothing.

    "I hope to work in the Premier League again. I don't know where or when, but it was an honour to work in the Premier League."

    Sunday's defeat was De Zerbi's 70th Premier League game in charge of Brighton, with his top-flight win percentage of 37 per cent (26/70) the highest of any boss in the Seagulls' history.

    Battling a lengthy injury list for much of 2023-24, Brighton made a total of 143 changes to their starting lineup throughout the course of the campaign, with only Manchester City in 2019-20 (144) ever making more in a single Premier League season.

    Asked by BBC Match of the Day if there was a particular reason for his exit, the Italian added: "We didn't find the agreement to move on. I want to keep my way. 

    "I know very well what I want to do and I know I am a coach and I have to accept the policies of the club.

    "They gave me an incredible chance. They gave me the possibility to know incredible people, to play and to work in the Premier League, to play in the Europa League. They gave me the opportunity to know this club, this city, these fans and that I cannot forget."

    Ipswich Town boss Kieran McKenna and Nice coach Francesco Farioli have both been tipped as possible contenders to replace De Zerbi, with Brighton having a reputation for excellent succession planning under owner Tony Bloom.

    Asked about the search for a replacement on Sunday, Bloom said: "We always try and have a plan. We have got a plan. We now need to execute that plan."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.