Bruno Fernandes in 'last-minute race' for Atletico clash as Man Utd star tests positive for COVID-19

By Sports Desk March 13, 2022

Bruno Fernandes has tested positive for COVID-19 and could miss Manchester United's crucial Champions League home clash with Atletico Madrid.

The playmaker missed Saturday's 3-2 win over Tottenham at Old Trafford, with his absence put down to an undisclosed illness.

Details have now emerged from interim manager Ralf Rangnick, who said Fernandes faced a race against time to be ready for the last-16 second leg on Tuesday.

Luke Shaw could be back from a coronavirus lay-off, while Rangnick is hopeful midfielder Scott McTominay will be able to feature after a calf problem.

Speaking of Fernandes, Rangnick said: "I don't know. With Scotty, I hope so, but he had some muscular problems with his calf. That's why we decided not to play him [against Tottenham], because Scotty, quite like Fred, is only valuable if he can perform with 100 per cent of his physical capacity.

"Luke hopefully will be back in training Monday and Bruno we will have to wait and see until Tuesday. This will probably be a last-minute race with him – due to COVID."

Fernandes has been United's chief creative force in the Champions League this season, with his six assists putting him four ahead of Shaw, who is second on that list at the club. He has also created a team-high 20 chances in the competition, with Cristiano Ronaldo next with nine.

Ronaldo's hat-trick against Tottenham has raised hopes that he can make a telling difference in Europe, too, with United level at 1-1 with Atletico after the first leg in Spain.

Rangnick said of his 37-year-old superstar striker: "He can be a leader with a performance like that. This is what I have been telling him since I arrived, that with this kind of performance he can be one of the engines of the team.

"We have quite a few other players who can do the same, including Fred, Harry [Maguire], Rapha [Raphael Varane], Victor [Lindelof], whoever. Even Edi [Edinson Cavani], when he came on, the last 10 or 15 minutes showed how important and what kind of role he can still play. I wish him to be available until the end of the season."

Rangnick was pleased with Jadon Sancho against Tottenham, with a notable assist for Ronaldo's second goal reflecting the winger's growing influence.

Sancho arrived with a big reputation from Borussia Dortmund last year and the 21-year-old did not immediately make the expected impact, but he is beginning to catch the eye.

"This is what he should be," said Rangnick, quoted on United's official website. "The club paid quite a few pounds for him in order to lure him away from Borussia Dortmund and if you pay that amount of money in a transfer fee for a player, he should perform on this kind of level.

"At the end, they are all human beings. The mere fact he cost a lot of money does not mean that he is playing at that level to start with.

"He told me that of course it was a problem for him to get adjusted to the intensity of the league, to the physicality of the league. Now he has managed to do that. I'm happy to see him play at that kind of level right now."

Related items

  • Former Man Utd director Knighton in talks with 'three billionaires' ahead of potential takeover bid Former Man Utd director Knighton in talks with 'three billionaires' ahead of potential takeover bid

    Former Manchester United director Michael Knighton says he is in talks with several billionaires ahead of launching a potential takeover bid at Old Trafford.

    The 70-year-old revealed he has put together a consortium interested in buying the club, although he would operate in a consultancy role should a successful deal by struck.

    The club's current owners – the Glazer family – have come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season.

    Supporters have staged several protests against the Americans, who Knighton believes have turned Old Trafford from a "theatre of a dreams to a theatre of nightmares"

    And the former director, who had a bid to buy the club accepted in 1989 – although it never came to fruition – explained that he has had conversation with three potential partners to put forward a deal.

    "They are small-time billionaires that I have been speaking to for three to four months now," Knighton told ITV News.

    "When I was approached by some fan groups, oddly enough, saying 'look, our club is dying on its feet, would you please do something?'

    "I made a few phone calls, and I've been pulling this consortium together ever since.

    "The point is: someone had to make a stand."

    Knighton also revealed he has approached British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who recently tried to purchase fellow Premier League side Chelsea, to buy the club.

    He said: "If we can smoke the great Sir Jim out to buy Manchester United, my consortium will be punching the air because we've achieved what we want to do.

    "We will make the bid with our own consortium but, I'll tell you this, we do not have the resources available to do everything that is needed."

  • 'Media only speaks lies' – Cristiano Ronaldo teases revealing interview in coming weeks 'Media only speaks lies' – Cristiano Ronaldo teases revealing interview in coming weeks

    Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to indicate he has a revealing interview planned in the coming weeks that will confirm the "truth" about speculation around his future.

    Ronaldo, 37, for the first time in his career has seemingly found a lack of interest for his services as he reportedly tries to push his way out of Old Trafford.

    Some of the biggest clubs in the world – including Juventus, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid – have all supposedly turned down the opportunity to sign one of the greatest players the game has ever seen, but the Portuguese star believes most media reports focused on his future have been inaccurate.

    In response to a post by a Ronaldo fan page on Instagram, which was criticising the aforementioned speculation, the five-time Ballon d'Or winner added fuel to the fire as he teased a tell-all interview.

    His comment read: "They know the truth when [sic] interview in a few weeks. Media only speaks lies. I have a notebook and in the last few months of the 100 news that made only five [accurate] hits, imagine how things are."

    Ronaldo made his first start of the season in United's embarrassing 4-0 loss to Brentford.

  • Gomez highlights Kompany influence on career and move to Man City Gomez highlights Kompany influence on career and move to Man City

    New Manchester City signing Sergio Gomez highlighted the key role club legend Vincent Kompany played in shaping his career and recent move to the Etihad Stadium.

    Gomez joined City from Anderlecht for a reported fee of £11million (€13m) on Tuesday to become Pep Guardiola's fourth signing of the transfer window after Kalvin Phillips, Erling Haaland and Stefan Ortega.

    The left-back was instrumental for the Belgian side under Kompany last season, racking up 49 appearances and registering 15 assists along the way.

    Kompany enjoyed a hugely successful spell with City between 2008 and 2019, winning 12 trophies, including four Premier League titles and two FA Cups.

    And Gomez, who spent his youth career with Barcelona before a stint at Borussia Dortmund, received the former skipper's blessing before completing his move to the Etihad.

    "I talked to [Kompany] a few days ago when I knew about City's interest in signing me," the 21-year-old told the club's official website.

    "He was very happy for me; he told me this would be a huge step in my career and that I was making the right decision by coming here.

    "It's a big step for me. I'm really happy that [City] showed interest in signing me, and I'm going to give my best to show on the pitch that I deserve to be here, and I hope we can achieve big things together.

    "I think I've grown in every step of my career, I hope to continue doing so here at City. I'm here to learn and help this team as much as I can."

    Previously a wide or central midfielder, Gomez also spoke about how he has not looked back since Kompany converted him into a left-back at Anderlecht last term. 

    "He called me and said I could do very well in that position," the Spain Under-21 international continued.

    "To be honest, I was a little bit surprised, I didn't expect it, but he seemed very sure about the decision, and that gave me confidence.

    "I will always be thankful to Vincent for the opportunity; I'm still playing as a left-back and I really enjoy it."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.