Modric fends off contract talk ahead ahead of PSG showdown

By Sports Desk March 08, 2022

Luka Modric says now is not the time to discuss his future as Real Madrid prepare for a huge Champions League showdown with Paris Saint-Germain.

Modric's contract expires at the end of June but the Croatia captain has expressed his desire to stay at Santiago Bernabeu.

Madrid will be counting on the midfield maestro to pull the strings when they attempt to overcome a 1-0 deficit and reach the Champions League quarter-finals with home advantage on Wednesday.

The playmaker says he is in no rush to agree terms on a new deal.

"i don't really want to talk about this now, there are more important things ahead like Wednesday's game," he said. 

"It is a huge game for the club on Wednesday night and i'm only focusing on that match."

Modric believes the LaLiga leaders have a great chance of advancing on the back of a 4-1 thrashing of Real Sociedad on Saturday.

He said: "Every game is different. The important thing is that we go out and try and do what the coach asks of us.

"The most important thing is that we go out there and show the character, good energy and aggression that we produced against Real Sociedad.

"If we manage to do that, we'll be in with a very good chance of getting through the tie. We'll have to give our all."

Los Blancos will be without suspended midfielder Casemiro but Toni Kroos has returned to training after missing the resounding win over Sociedad due to a hamstring injury.

Modric says Casemiro will be missed, but Madrid have no shortage of quality options to replace him.

He added: "Casemiro's absence is a shame because we all know exactly what he brings to our system, but we've got other players who are capable of performing well, such as [Federico] Valverde and [Eduardo] Camavinga.

"I hope that Kroos is involved and I'll have to do just what I always do and give that little bit extra to cover the job that Casemiro does as he won't be involved.

"We're all going to have to give a bit more, particularly on the defensive side of the game. I'm certain that whoever plays tomorrow will go out and perform well."

Related items

  • Nagelsmann backs Kompany potential as Bayern prepare for shock appointment Nagelsmann backs Kompany potential as Bayern prepare for shock appointment

    Germany manager Julian Nagelsmann backed Vincent Kompany to succeed at his former club Bayern Munich as expectations grow for the Belgian to take charge in Bavaria.

    The former Manchester City captain, who began his coaching career in Belgium with Anderlecht, oversaw Burnley's relegation from the Premier League in the 2023-24 season.

    Yet Kompany is expected to soon be announced as the new head coach of Bayern.

    The Bundesliga giants parted ways with Thomas Tuchel after a rare season without silverware but Nagelsmann, speaking on Sky Germany, expects Kompany to deliver for the Bavarian side if appointed.

    "I've heard that he's a very good coach with outstanding prospects, and he has had many good coaches who trained him, so he'll do well," said Nagelsmann, whose two-year spell with Bayern ended in 2023.

    "In the end, it's good for the club that they didn't win the championship this time. I don't think it's a bad situation for a young coach who can leave his mark.

    "Who, I think, can change more than if they had won the championship again or been extremely successful."

    Bayern lost their last game of the Bundesliga season to finish third, having failed to win any of the four trophies they were in for, as their German top-flight dominance ended to Xabi Alonso's Bayer Leverkusen.

    Alonso, who oversaw Leverkusen's unbeaten league season, had been Bayern's primary target but their former midfielder has elected to stay at Leverkusen next season.

    Kompany would come as a surprise choice but Bayern will hope he can rediscover his magic touch from when guiding the Clarets to promotion, earning 101 points in the process in his first 2022-23 season.

    However, Burnley managed just five wins this term on their way to taking 24 points this season as they finished 19th, going back down alongside Luton Town and Sheffield United.

    The former Belgium international, if appointed, will leave Burnley having managed 96 games, winning 41 (42.7 per cent) of those matches.

  • Alex Sandro leaves Juventus cherishing Bianconeri connection after Monza win Alex Sandro leaves Juventus cherishing Bianconeri connection after Monza win

    Alex Sandro celebrated trophies and finals with Juventus but says he will cherish his bond with the Bianconeri supporters the most after an emotional farewell on Saturday.

    The Brazil international waved goodbye in Turin for one final time against Monza, signing off with a goal in a 2-0 victory at Allianz Stadium.

    Alex Sandro made a record-equalling 327 appearances for Juve, matching Pavel Nedved's record for the most by a foreign player in the club's history.

    Yet the versatile defender will be moving onto new beginnings after Juve ended the season third in Serie A.

    "It was emotional for me, I have never cried so much in my life," he told DAZN, having joined the club in 2015.

    "I am proud of myself and what I achieved. Over the last few days, I told everyone that the trophies and finals were lovely, but what I take away is the bond with the people."

    Paolo Montero was in interim charge once more for the clash with Monza, in which Federico Chiesa was also on target.

    The Juventus caretaker also oversaw a 3-3 draw with Bologna after Massimiliano Allegri was dismissed, and Montero acknowledged he has not changed much in terms of tactics.

    "I honestly did not come here to transform anything, but to collaborate and I am proud to be with these players," Montero told DAZN.

    "Every time they play, I sit in the stands to watch them, so it was an honour to be here with them."

    Montero referenced Chiesa as one of Juve's key players going forward.

    "We evaluated the players in the best shape," Montero added. "Chiesa has the quality to play on the right like at Fiorentina or the left like for Italy.

    "He is a champion with a very positive mentality and is prepared for the Euros this summer.

    "Chiesa makes the difference, I saw that at the stadium. If he continues to play at this tempo, he creates spaces and becomes deadly in one-on-one situations.

    "These players can play wide, central, left or right, the important thing is that they have space to take men on."

  • 'We cannot replace him' – Mbappe departs PSG 'filled with joy' 'We cannot replace him' – Mbappe departs PSG 'filled with joy'

    Kylian Mbappe says he is leaving Paris Saint-Germain with his head held high but Luis Enrique does not expect to replace his star forward.

    Mbappe announced this month he would leave the French capital at the end of the season after a seven-year stay during which he became their all-time top scorer, with 256 goals.

    His last game for Luis Enrique's side came in Saturday's Coupe de France final at Lille's Stade Pierre-Mauroy, with first-half strikes from Ousmane Dembele and Fabian Ruiz securing a 2-1 win against Lyon.

    "It was both difficult and enjoyable because it's a final, and in the end, we won. It's filled with joy," Mbappe told reporters.

    "It's all good memories, many years, both at PSG and of course in this league. We leave with our heads held high, especially with a trophy, and we only keep the positives."

    Mbappe has been heavily linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.

    Asked why he had not announced his next club yet, the 25-year-old said: "Because I think that the best thing to do is to finish these goodbyes.

    "I think all I wanted was to finish well with my club. There's a trophy. I think there's a time for everything.

    "I'll announce my new club in due course. I think we're just a few days away, so there's no problem."

    PSG head coach Luis Enrique says there will be no single replacement for Mbappe, placing the focus on the entire team.

    "I have had the good fortune to coach Kylian this season, it has been a difficult one for him after seven years at his club and all that he has achieved, it is difficult to say goodbye," Enrique told a news conference.

    "There is no substitute for Mbappe, we cannot replace him, we will do it through the team and four, five or six signings we can make.

    "Kylian's replacement will be the team that, along with the fans and our ambition, will try to win everything in the following seasons."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.