FIFA condemns 'barbaric' mass brawl at Queretaro-Atlas clash in Mexico's Liga MX

By Sports Desk March 06, 2022

FIFA has called for "swift justice" after Mexican football was shamed by a mass brawl between supporters in the Liga MX game between Queretaro and Atlas.

The world governing body said the violence was "barbaric" and "tragic", with 26 supporters reported to have been hospitalised after Saturday's top-flight fixture.

Violence broke out just beyond the hour mark at Estadio Corregidora, with visitors Atlas leading 1-0, forcing fans to stream onto the pitch to escape the trouble.

Any hope of restarting the match was extinguished as fighting spread around the upper bowl of the stadium.

Mexican newspaper El Universal reported three supporters were in a serious condition in hospital on Sunday, with a further three having been discharged. Quoting Mauricio Kuri, governor of the state of Queretaro, the report said two of those taken to hospital were women.

League authorities called off the weekend's remaining games, while Atlas executive president Jose Riestra said the episode was "truly unfortunate, very far from the values ​​that football represents".

Now FIFA has expressed its dismay and called for those responsible to be held to account.

In a statement on Sunday, it said: "FIFA is shocked at the tragic incident that took place at La Corregidora stadium in the city of Queretaro during the fixture between Queretaro and Atlas. The violence at the La Corregidora stadium was unacceptable and intolerable.

"FIFA joins the Mexican Football Association and CONCACAF in condemning this barbaric incident and encouraging the local authorities to bring swift justice to those responsible. Our thoughts are with all those who suffered its consequences.

"Once again FIFA would like to stress that violence should have absolutely no place in football and we will continue working with all parties to eradicate it from our game."

Kuri denied reports there had been deaths.

He said on Twitter: "I know that the images of the stadium are disturbing and that the names of people who are supposed to have died have been released; but today we confirm that fortunately they are ALIVE and receiving medical attention.

"We have no reason to lie, we will continue to make all verified information available to the public."

Kuri added: "This violent and angry minority does not represent Queretanos or our values. It is a tragedy that will be punished with the full weight of the law.

"Rest assured that we will handle the results with all transparency and clarity. We will not allow impunity to stain Queretaro."

Related items

  • Galatasaray interested in signing Spartak Moscow, Jamaica striker Nicholson Galatasaray interested in signing Spartak Moscow, Jamaica striker Nicholson

    Top Turkish club Galatasaray are rumoured to be interested in acquiring the services of Jamaica international Shamar Nicholson.

    The 25-year-old forward only recently secured a move to Russian club Spartak Moscow last summer from Belgian team Charleroi FC for 8m euros and has a contract until 2026.

    The current situation with Russia’s ongoing war in Ukraine, which has led to the club being suspended from all European competition, could see the player being allowed to leave the team.

    Initially, the club had expressed an interest in both Mauro Icardi, who was expected to leave PSG, and Andrea Belotti, who left Torino, but either deal materialised.  So far this season, Nicholson has played 98 minutes in 3 games but failed to score a goal.

    Last season, Nicholson, who played a total of 34 matches with Charleroi and Spartak Moscow jerseys, scored 21 goals and made 7 assists.

  • Lecce 1-2 Inter: Last-gasp Dumfries goal ensures winning start for Nerazzurri Lecce 1-2 Inter: Last-gasp Dumfries goal ensures winning start for Nerazzurri

    Denzel Dumfries scored a dramatic 95th-minute winner as Inter began their Serie A campaign with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Lecce, as Romelu Lukaku scored on his Nerazzurri return.

    Lukaku required just 82 seconds to head home the opener on his second Inter debut, but Simone Inzaghi's side looked set to make a stuttering start when Assan Ceesay levelled three minutes after the break.

    But substitute Dumfries was on hand to convert from a corner deep into stoppage time as Inter made a winning start to the new campaign.

    Having watched champions Milan beat Udinese in their own season-opener early on Saturday, Inter ensured they matched their rivals' exploits at the outset of what is likely to be another thrilling title race.

     

  • PSG 5-2 Montpellier: Neymar scores twice as Galtier maintains winning start PSG 5-2 Montpellier: Neymar scores twice as Galtier maintains winning start

    Neymar scored twice as Paris Saint-Germain made it consecutive wins to start the Ligue 1 season with an emphatic 5-2 victory over Montpellier at the Parc des Princes on Saturday.

    The champions started their title defence with a 5-0 win against Clermont last weekend in Christophe Galtier's first league game in charge, and they followed that up with a ninth success in their past 10 league games against Montpellier, despite a penalty miss from Kylian Mbappe midway through the first half.

    The France international made amends soon after when his cross was turned into his own net by Falaye Sacko, before Neymar doubled the hosts' advantage from a second penalty of the game.

    Neymar and Mbappe scored either side of Wahbi Khazri's goal for the visitors, while there were late efforts from debutant Renato Sanches and Montpellier's Enzo Tchato Mbiayi. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.