FIFA has realised biennial World Cup is 'a no-go', claims UEFA president Ceferin

By Sports Desk March 03, 2022

Aleksander Ceferin is confident FIFA will soon abandon its plans for a biennial World Cup, which he considers "a no-go for everyone in football".

FIFA, led by chief of global football development Arsene Wenger, has been pushing for its showpiece international tournament to take place every two years, rather than every four.

The idea has been met with widespread opposition by others within football, however – particularly in Europe and South America.

And although the world governing body has publicly continued to pursue the change, UEFA president Ceferin says it has now accepted it cannot happen.

"A biennial World Cup is a no-go for everyone in football," Ceferin said at the Financial Times Business of Football Summit on Thursday.

"I am glad FIFA has realised that as well. I had a discussion with FIFA's president about it yesterday.

"We cannot say football on other continents cannot be developed, but we should be aligned, and it should not hurt European and South American federations.

"We have discussions, but as far as I am concerned, a biennial World Cup is off the table. I am sure we will come to a solution with FIFA soon."

Related items

  • In-form PSG and Brazil star not 'a new Neymar' but feels a more complete player In-form PSG and Brazil star not 'a new Neymar' but feels a more complete player

    Neymar declared "I don't think there is a new Neymar" but the in-form Paris Saint-Germain forward feels like he is "a more complete player".

    The Brazil international has made a great start to the season, scoring 11 goals in 13 games for PSG.

    Neymar has also provided nine assists for the Ligue 1 champions, who are reaping the rewards of having the former Barcelona man fully fit after he spent a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to injury last season.

    The 30-year-old's impressive performances bode well for Brazil ahead of the World Cup in Qatar and he thinks his all-round game is better than it has ever been.

    He told PSG TV: "I don't think there is a new Neymar. I think just that things have dropped into place. I'm having a very good start to the season, like when I came here and in my first two or three years.

    "I feel a more complete player now, because I can defend, attack or score goals, make assists, whatever you like. I think I'm now more complete than before.

    "I think everyone helps. Of course, I know I'm not an extraordinary defender, but I at least try to help my team-mates however I can."

    Neymar is dreaming of a World Cup and Champions League double.

    He said: "I'm very happy to have started my season well, whether it be with Paris Saint-Germain or the Brazil national team.

    "The aim this year is to win with both teams, to win everything with Paris and Brazil. We have a World Cup coming up and we know just how difficult that competition is.

    "But I have a dream of winning it, just like the Champions League will be soon in Paris, I'm sure of that."

  • Matthaus tells England to start Bellingham in 'every game' Matthaus tells England to start Bellingham in 'every game'

    Lothar Matthaus has urged England to start Jude Bellingham in every match at the World Cup in Qatar.

    The Three Lions head to the tournament in poor form, failing to win any of their past six competitive matches, their worst sequence of results ever before a major tournament.

    Questions regarding Gareth Southgate's first-choice XI remain, with the manager staying loyal to those who performed well in the 2018 World Cup and last year's European Championship.

    However, Borussia Dortmund star Bellingham has worked his way into the side and started England's last three matches, with Bayern Munich and West Germany great Matthaus believing that streak should continue in the upcoming tournament.

    "He's someone English football fans need to be hugely excited about," the 61-year-old Bundesliga television pundit told FourFourTwo.

    "With his mentality, he's not somebody that needs to be treated as a young player who hopes for a few minutes here and there, he's a player who should be starting every match.

    "He's becoming an important part of the national team and, in my opinion, he has the potential to be one of the best midfielders England have ever produced.

    "I played against some pretty good ones myself and I see those qualities in him."

    England begin their group stage campaign against Iran on November 21, then tackling the United States and Wales in Group B.

  • USWNT 'angry' but 'unified' after NWSL abuse report, says Rapinoe, who calls on FIFA to act USWNT 'angry' but 'unified' after NWSL abuse report, says Rapinoe, who calls on FIFA to act

    Megan Rapinoe and her United States team-mates are "angry and exhausted" after a report detailed widespread misconduct in the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL).

    Former US Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates released a report on Monday concluding abuse and sexual misconduct spanned multiple teams and coaches, while the NWSL and US Soccer failed to put in "basic measures" to safeguard players or "respond appropriately when confronted with player reports and evidence of abuse".

    The report's findings have cast a dark shadow on women's football ahead of the United States' friendly with England at Wembley Stadium on Friday.

    Rapinoe is grateful the United States' squad were able to support each other at a difficult time.

    "I mean it's horrifying," Rapinoe told reporters at a pre-match press conference. "Obviously, I'm sure everybody read the report, and have read all the reporting that's been going on the last year. Even when you know it, it's just horrifying over and over to read.

    "It's been difficult for the players, some of those players play in those clubs, have been coached by those coaches, and likely have been abused in one form or another.

    "It could definitely be re-triggering or re-traumatising, just to have to deal with that on such an incredible occasion. To be here at Wembley, and be able to participate in this game that is so exciting, the juxtaposition is just kind of ridiculous.

    "We're angry and exhausted, and together and unified. It's nice to be here together as a team, I feel like it's really powerful for us all to be together as a national team and be able to speak on behalf of all this. It has been very difficult, I can't even imagine for the players most affected.

    "In a way, I mean it's really sad to say, but we're used to having to deal with one thing or another. It seems to bring us closer and definitely unify the team and it's just one of those intimate environments that we're in."

    Since the findings were released, Portland Thorns owner Merritt Paulson and Chicago Red Stars owner Arnim Whisler, both of whom were cited in the report, have announced their intentions to step aside.

    Rapinoe has little sympathy.

    "I don't think Merritt Paulson is fit to be the owner in Portland. I don't think Arnim is fit to be the owner in Chicago," she said.

    Rapinoe also demanded more action from football's governing bodies, including FIFA.

    "Obviously, that's a monumental task and a lot of these federations that are funded really well only get together a couple of times a year. I know that can be difficult," she added.

    "But from FIFA's standpoint, as the stewards of the game, they have a responsibility to do everything in their power to ensure that every player is in a safe environment."

    Rapinoe also believes the NSWL and US Soccer must take responsibility.

    "Those people are in positions that have responsibility, and they didn't fulfil those responsibilities and they didn't protect players at all," Rapinoe said.

    "It's year after year after year, it’s impossible to overstate that every single year someone said something about multiple coaches in the league, about multiple different environments so if, year after year after year, you cannot perform your duties - I know I wouldn't be in my position if I couldn't perform my duties year after year."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.