EPL

Jesse Marsch appointed new Leeds United head coach

By Sports Desk February 28, 2022

Leeds United have appointed Jesse Marsch as their new head coach.

The former RB Leipzig boss will succeed Marcelo Bielsa on a deal until June 2025, subject to international clearance.

Bielsa left the club following last weekend's 4-0 defeat at home to Tottenham. It was their fourth consecutive loss in the top flight and meant they conceded 20 goals in February alone, the most in a single calendar month by any team in Premier League history.

Leeds director of football Victor Orta said: "We are delighted to welcome Jesse to the club and excited for him to lead us into this new chapter.

"Jesse is someone we identified a number of years ago during his time at Red Bull Salzburg, and we believe his philosophy and style of football aligns with that of the club and will suit the players very well.

"We have a long-term plan and firmly believe he can take Leeds United to the next level and are excited for what the future holds."

Marsch was named Leipzig boss prior to the start of the season after initially joining the club in 2018 as assistant to Ralf Rangnick.

He won the Austrian domestic double with sister club Salzburg in 2018-19, which saw him named as successor to Julian Nagelsmann at Leipzig, but the 48-year-old was sacked last December after winning just five of his first 14 Bundesliga games in charge.

Leeds face Leicester City away in their next league game on March 5.

Related items

  • EFL says Leicester will not face points deduction this season over PSR charge EFL says Leicester will not face points deduction this season over PSR charge

    Leicester will not be deducted Championship points if found to have breached Premier League financial rules before the end of the season, the EFL has announced.

    The Foxes were charged with breaching the top flight’s profitability and sustainability rules (PSR) last month in relation to the assessment period ending with the 2022-23 season, when they were still a Premier League club.

    The club issued “urgent legal proceedings” on March 22 against that charge, and against an EFL transfer embargo.

    The EFL revealed on Friday that as part of those proceedings, Leicester had sought an interim injunction preventing any sporting sanction – such as a points penalty – being imposed in the current season, with the Foxes battling Leeds and Ipswich for automatic promotion to the Premier League.

    However, the EFL has now said that after taking legal advice it does not have the power under its rules as currently drafted to impose any points penalty ordered by an independent commission set up to hear a Premier League charge, and has confirmed that to all parties concerned.

    It said Leicester’s application for an injunction was therefore no longer necessary.

    There had been no realistic expectation that any points penalty arising from the Premier League charge would end up being applied to this season’s total, given the timescales involved.

  • Roberto De Zerbi confident Brighton can secure European football for next season Roberto De Zerbi confident Brighton can secure European football for next season

    Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi believes his side are still capable of securing a place in Europe for a second successive season.

    The Seagulls are 10th in the Premier League with seven games of a campaign memorable for a first foray into continental competition remaining.

    Current form is not good, however, with just one win from the last six league outings, but De Zerbi is optimistic.

    Ahead of Saturday’s trip to Burnley, the Italian said: “It’s difficult to understand how many points we need, but we have to think game by game.

    “I think we have the chance to reach Europe. It’s tough because there are a lot of strong and very good teams, but we have the chance.

    “The schedule is not the best, but we’re going to find a lot of teams who play in Europe – Man City, Chelsea plays in the FA Cup, Aston Villa are playing in Conference League.

    “I think we have the chance and we have to believe in that, and we have to win, for sure.

    “I would like to play next season again in Europe. I think this season we are paying a lot, a big price, for the first experience in the Europa League, but the second one can be easier.”

    Brighton are also hampered by a lengthy injury list. Tariq Lamptey and Julio Enciso are the latest additions after suffering knocks in last weekend’s defeat at Arsenal, taking the number of casualties to nine.

    De Zerbi said: “The situation is tough. We have still nine injured players – yes, nine.

    “It’s more or less the same squad we played against Arsenal but no Tariq. Julio Enciso is the ninth injured player.”

    Solly March, Jack Hinshelwood, Karou Mitoma, Billy Gilmour, Evan Ferguson, Adam Webster and James Milner also remain on the sidelines.

    Of those, Gilmour, Webster and Milner seem the closest to returning.

    De Zerbi said: “Billy is better. I don’t know how much time he needs to start with us on the pitch, but he’s better. James Milner, the same.

    “I think Webster, Milner and Bill can be available (in) the next weeks.”

    De Zerbi also confirmed goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen, who has started the last five matches, will retain his place.

    He said: “Bart plays tomorrow, starts at the beginning in the first XI. I’m happy and lucky to work with Bart and Jason (Steele) as well.

    “They are different players, different keepers, but both are very good, very important for Brighton.”

  • Jonas Eidevall calls Emma Hayes ‘irresponsible’ over League Cup final comments Jonas Eidevall calls Emma Hayes ‘irresponsible’ over League Cup final comments

    Jonas Eidevall believes Emma Hayes was “irresponsible” in accusing him of male aggression in a heated finish to the Women’s League Cup final.

    Eidevall’s Arsenal defeated Hayes’ Chelsea 1-0 earlier this month but the result was overshadowed by a spat between the two managers.

    Hayes took exception to a touchline altercation between Eidevall and Chelsea’s Erin Cuthbert and appeared to push the Arsenal boss after the match.

    Hayes will not face any sanction but, speaking at a press conference ahead of Arsenal’s Women’s Super League clash with Bristol City on Sunday, Eidevall criticised the Chelsea boss for her post-match comments.

    “I thought the comments that I heard after the game were very irresponsible and they were not mirroring the conduct that I had in the technical area,” Eidevall said on arsenal.com.

    “I think always when you make comments about other persons you have to take into consideration what effects that may have. That’s why you need to be, especially when you’re a leader, you need to be very good with words.

    “You need to understand the consequences of both your actions and your language and that’s why I think it’s really, really important that we treat each other with a lot of respect and that we stay at facts as much as possible and don’t get too emotional.

    “I’m very happy with the way I conducted myself and I wouldn’t do anything differently if I could redo it again.”

    Eidevall revealed, meanwhile, that Frida Maanum, who collapsed during the cup final in worrying scenes, could return in next weekend’s match against Leicester.

    “Everything is looking good and that’s the most important thing,” said Eidevall. “She’s on a graduated, monitored protocol now to return to play. She will not be available for selection on Sunday but, after that, if everything goes as planned, it looks promising for her to be available to play again.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.