Martinez determined to scuttle Liverpool's Champions League hopes with Inter

By Sports Desk February 15, 2022

Lautaro Martinez expects Inter to be quickly on the front foot when they tackle Liverpool in the Champions League at San Siro on Wednesday.

The blow of losing top spot to Milan in Serie A could be softened by a positive midweek result against Jurgen Klopp's Premier League giants.

Inter remain firmly in the Scudetto race, one point behind Milan and with a game in hand, and last season's champions are also eager to make progress in Europe.

Liverpool will provide them with a stiff test, and the Reds have already won away against Milan in the competition earlier this season.

Martinez told Prime Video: "Against Liverpool, we want to be protagonists, keep the ball, attack, defend the goal well and hurt the opponent."

The Argentinian forward has yet to score in the Champions League this season, despite totalling 2.14 expected goals (xG) in the group stage. That metric assesses the chances he has had, with Martinez having had 25 shots so far, of which just six have hit the target.

He has played six games in the Champions League in each of the last three seasons, hitting five goals in 2019-20 and one last term. Indeed, since scoring against Real Madrid in November 2020, Martinez has played 697 minutes without finding the net in the competition.

To get off the mark against Liverpool would be ideal timing.

"You will see a player who has grown a lot," Martinez said. "It will be a great game to play. We passed the group phase, which was already important to us. Now I hope to do well and to lend a hand to the team to try to move forward, which is our dream."

Martinez hailed Liverpool boss Klopp as "a great coach", and predicted the German will have done his homework on Inter.

"Liverpool have many strong players," Martinez added. "We have to prepare for the game well and work on the possession phase because it will be important. They attack with a lot of people, they play with very fast forwards. We will have to be careful."

Liverpool won home and away when these sides met at the same last-16 stage in the 2007-08 season, with Fernando Torres getting the only goal of the game at San Siro.

Up to this point, the only team to have recorded wins over both Milan and Inter in the same European Cup or Champions League campaign have been Harry Redknapp's Tottenham in the 2010-11 season.

Related items

  • No Ronaldo move for Bayern Munich after Man Utd exit, stresses CEO Kahn No Ronaldo move for Bayern Munich after Man Utd exit, stresses CEO Kahn

    Free agent Cristiano Ronaldo will not be joining Bayern Munich, says chief executive officer Oliver Kahn, despite acknowledging "we all love" the forward.

    Portugal captain Ronaldo will be on the hunt for a new club after his exit from Manchester United, which has come less than 18 months after his return to Old Trafford.

    With the attacker's focus firmly on the World Cup, his next steps are not yet known, though that has not stopped him from being linked to a slew of leading sides across the globe.

    One club he will not be headed to, however, is Bayern, with Kahn reiterating there is no place for Ronaldo in the make-up of Julian Nagelsmann's team.

    "We have already dealt with this [speculation]," Kahn told Sky Sport Germany. "We have a clear idea, a clear philosophy of how our squad should be put together.

    "We all appreciate him, there's no discussion. We all love Cristiano Ronaldo, but that's something that doesn't fit into our idea."

    Kahn sidestepped speculation over Bayern's reported long-term interest in England captain Harry Kane, with the Tottenham forward frequently mooted as a target.

    "Of course he's a very good player, but there are also many other very good players," Kahn said. "I've read that everywhere, Oliver Kahn and Harry Kane.

    "We deal with many, many players, and it is not okay to talk about players who are signed to other clubs. We have a very good squad that is doing an excellent job at the moment."

    Bayern sit four points clear at the top of the Bundesliga, ahead of Freiburg, and topped their Champions League group earlier this season with a perfect record of six wins from six matches.

  • Kane compares 'hype and noise' around injury to Beckham and Rooney fitness scares Kane compares 'hype and noise' around injury to Beckham and Rooney fitness scares

    Harry Kane has compared the "hype and noise" around his injury to similar fitness furores involving David Beckham and Wayne Rooney at other major tournaments.

    Kane sustained a foot injury in England's World Cup opener against Iran, only to recover in time to lead the Three Lions out again against the United States.

    The Tottenham striker struggled to impact that goalless draw, however, and there have been calls for him to be left out for the final group game against Wales on Tuesday.

    But Kane insists he feels "good", suggesting speculation over the severity of his injury is an overreaction.

    "I was an England fan before I was an England player. I know [about] when Rooney got injured [during Euro 2004], when Beckham had the injury [ahead of the World Cup in 2002], so I know the hype and noise that can come," Kane told BBC Sport.

    "I know and understand why it happens, but from our point of view, we are fully focused on ourselves to go far in the tournament.

    "I feel good. I know there has been a lot of noise. In the Iran game, I could easily have played the full 90 minutes, but the manager changed it for tactical reasons.

    "I had a precautionary scan, which is common in our sport, and it came back pretty much all clear. Good to go.

    "Physically, I feel good and I will be ready for the game."

    Should Gareth Southgate decided to shuffle his pack for the final group game, Newcastle United striker Callum Wilson would likely replace Kane in attack. 

    Kane would have no issues with that, adding: "Whether or not I am fully fit or injured, someone else can come in, in any position.

    "The team isn't just me. We have 26 players here who are all looking to achieve the same thing: to win a World Cup."

  • World Cup chief says 'improvements have to happen' after death of '400 to 500' workers World Cup chief says 'improvements have to happen' after death of '400 to 500' workers

    World Cup chief Hassan Al-Thawadi admits "improvements have to happen" after estimating "between 400 and 500" migrant workers died working on projects related to Qatar 2022.

    The awarding of the competition to the Gulf state in 2010 has only grown more controversial in the years since due to its chequered past on human rights issues, its treatment of migrant workers and the illegality of homosexuality.

    The official count for those to have died on World Cup sites is 37 among non-work related deaths and three from work-related accidents. However, it was reported by The Guardian last year the overall figure may surpass 6,500 deaths.

    FIFA has constantly reiterated it is fully committed to protecting the rights of workers on projects such as constructing stadia, while president Gianni Infantino launched an impassioned defence on the eve of the competition.

    While the actual death figure is unknown, Al-Thawadi – who was responsible for ensuring infrastructure and development projects were delivered in readiness for Qatar 2022 – accepts it is a lot higher than the 40 previously reported.

    "The estimate is around 400, between 400 and 500," he told Piers Morgan in an interview with TalkTV. "I don't have the exact number; that's something that's been discussed. One death is a death too many, plain and simple.

    "I think every year the health and safety standards on the sites are improving, at least on our sites. The World Cup sites that we were responsible for, most definitely to the extent that you've got trade unions commending the work that's been done on the World Cup sites and the improvements."

    When asked directly if the health and safety standards were good enough at the beginning of the project, Al-Thawadi said: "I think overall the need for labour reform itself dictates that yes, improvements have to happen.

    "Just so we're clear, this was something we recognised before we bid. The improvements that have already happened aren't because of the World Cup. These are improvements we knew that we had to do because of our own values.

    "Improvements that had to happen whether it's our health and safety standards, whether it's in terms of improving the accommodation standards, whether it's in terms of dismantling the Kafala System.

    "The World Cup served as a vehicle, an accelerator, as a catalyst because of the spotlight which we recognised early on was going to be shed. It caused a lot of initiative not only in terms of improvement in isolation but in terms of enforcing it as well. 

    "That's where today we got to a position where our most ardent of critics consider us to be a benchmark in the region."

    Al-Thawadi addressed a number of other issues in the interview, such as whether Qatar is a safe place for people in same-sex relationships to visit.

    "It's safe for everybody to be in Qatar, yes. Unequivocally, Piers, yes. I think it's safe for everybody to live in Qatar, Piers. From our position, and my personal position, we've always said everyone's welcome.

    "We've worked hard to create an environment and to ensure that people from all parts of the world, all walks of life come into Qatar, engage and interact with people from the Arab world and the Middle East even though we might not see eye to eye on certain things, even though we might not agree on certain things, but everyone is welcome."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.