Pogba set for return against Middlesbrough, confirms Rangnick

By Sports Desk February 03, 2022

Paul Pogba will be at the disposal of Ralf Rangnick for the first time on Friday as the Manchester United midfielder makes his return from injury.

Pogba has not played since early November due to a groin issue sustained on international duty with France – the 28-year-old pulled up during a shooting drill.

While United did not put a specific timeframe on his recovery initially, it was then revealed in early January that they were not expecting him back for at least another month.

Pogba, whose contract expires at the end of this season, spent part of his rehabilitation period in Dubai, a decision Rangnick appeared to openly question.

But despite that apparent disagreement and the lingering doubts around Pogba's future at the club, Rangnick is seemingly ready to throw him straight back into the action when United face Middlesbrough in the FA Cup fourth round on Friday – several others will be missing, though.

"Yes, Paul will be part of the group, he may even be in the starting XI," Rangnick told reporters on Thursday.

"There are still a couple of players missing out: Edi Cavani will only return at the weekend. He contacted me a week ago and asked me if he could have two more days at home and I allowed him because I knew that he couldn't be in the starting XI [against Boro] anyway with the jet-lag and only coming back today or last night, so he won't be part of the group.

"Victor Lindelof has been ill the whole week and not training so will miss out, the same is true of Jesse Lingard [he has been absent from training]. He asked for a couple days off to clear up his mind, so he will be back in the group next Monday for training and then be a regular part of the squad again.

"Eric Bailly came back yesterday, he has some problems, a swollen ankle, and will therefore not be a part of the squad [on Friday] but all the other players will be available."

United's squad looks rather slimmer than before the international break. With Mason Greenwood absent "until further notice" and the club allowing Donny van de Beek, Anthony Martial and Amad Diallo to depart on loan, Rangnick's options have depleted.

Added to that, United did not make any first-team signings during the January transfer window, though Rangnick felt before that the squad was too large.

"As I said earlier [in January], I thought so far the group was slightly too big, too many players, too many without seeing the chance for regular game time, this is why I'm happy not only for the club but also the players," he continued.

"Players like Donny, Anthony and Amad, they deserved to get regular game time. I wish them all the very best, I was in contact with all three players.

"Amad has already played and scored, and I'm pretty sure Anthony and Donny will do well at Everton and Sevilla and come back in the summer in good form."

Rangnick was also asked about the possibility of Mauricio Pochettino taking over as coach at the end of the season, though the German – who is set to move into a consultancy role from next season – could not offer any great insight.

He said: "I have no idea, my full focus is on developing and training the group right now. We have important games coming up in three different competitions.

"I can't give any reasonable answer to that, my focus is on the upcoming games and months."

Related items

  • Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

    He played in 31 of Milan's 38 Serie A matches and scored six goals from midfield, a tally only bettered by Zlatan Ibrahimovic (eight), Rafael Leao and Olivier Giroud (both 11).

    However, fresh terms could not be agreed between the Rossoneri and Kessie, meaning the Ivory Coast international became a free agent on July 1.

    Barca were always considered the strong favourites to land the 25-year-old, whose Camp Nou contract contains a €500million release clause.

     

    Kessie will compete with the likes of Sergio Busquets, Pedri, Gavi and Frenkie de Jong for a midfield spot, though the latter is expected to join Manchester United.

    In all, Kessie played 174 Serie A games for Milan since initially joining from Atalanta in June 2017, with Napoli's Piotr Zielinski (179) the only midfielder to feature more times.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

  • Fulham land 'one of top targets' Joao Palhinha from Sporting CP Fulham land 'one of top targets' Joao Palhinha from Sporting CP

    Fulham have completed the signing of Portugal international midfielder Joao Palhinha from Sporting CP on a five-year deal.

    The newly promoted Premier League side are reported to have paid £20million (€23.2m) to sign Palhinha, with the contract containing the option of a further 12 months.

    Palhinha, capped 14 times by Portugal and in contention to be part of their squad for the 2022 World Cup, had also been linked with Manchester United and Wolves.

    But Fulham confirmed on their official website on Monday that the 26-year-old has become their first signing since earning promotion from the Championship in April.

    Vice-chairman Tony Khan is delighted to have won the race for Palhinha, who had spent a decade on Sporting's books.

    "Joao Palhinha has excelled in Portugal playing both club and international football. He's been one of our top targets in this window," Khan said.

    "While there were other prominent clubs aiming to secure his signature, we're thrilled Joao chose to come here and that he wants to play under our great coach Marco Silva.

    "We believe that Joao will be a valuable addition to strengthen the squad to compete this season in the Premier League."

    Palhinha played 27 times for Sporting in the Primeira Liga last season and scored three goals from defensive midfield.

    He has spent his entire career on Sporting's books, albeit with spells out on loan with Moreirense, Belenenses and Braga, making Fulham his first club outside of Portugal. 

    "I'm very glad to be here. It's a big opportunity for me, for my career, to play in what is – in my opinion – the best league in the world," Palhinha said.

    "I've signed with a great club. The club wanted me, and I chose the club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.