AFCON quarter-finals to be moved following Olembe Stadium tragedy, CAF calls for immediate investigation

By Sports Desk January 25, 2022

Patrice Motsepe, president of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), has called for an immediate investigation into an incident at Olembe Stadium that resulted in the deaths of eight people, while he confirmed upcoming Africa Cup of Nations matches would be relocated.

Eight people died and a further 38 were injured after a stampede outside the stadium in Yaounde during Monday's match between tournament hosts Cameroon and Comoros.

CAF has started an investigation, while FIFA offered its condolences in a briefing on Tuesday.

In a media briefing, CAF president Motsepe confirmed the quarter-final tie due to be hosted at Olembe Stadium on Sunday, which will take place between the winner of Ivory Coast's clash with Egypt and the victor of Morocco v Malawi, would be moved to Yaounde's Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium.

"I've been given lots of feedback and had lots of discussions until very early this morning," Motsepe said on Tuesday.

"The first thing that I’m going to ask the organising committees, the next match that's supposed to take place at the Olembe Stadium should not take place."

Motsepe also confirmed CAF had requested a report on the incident be completed by Friday.

"I spoke to the senior person in the government, and it's correct out of respect for our partners, to indicate that there must be an immediate committee set up to investigate what happened," he said.

"In that context, to find out who was supposed to do what and who did not perform their responsibilities.

"We want that report by Friday but as I said the game that is scheduled for Olembe Stadium on Sunday is not going to take place and it’s going to take place at Amadou. There will be other changes that will be made."

One of those other changes is reportedly moving Sunday's other quarter-final from Douala to Limbe.

A media release attributed to the Cameroon team was released on Tuesday, bearing the name of captain Vincent Aboubakar, was retweeted by the Cameroonian Football Federation (FECAFOOT) and appeared to question the behaviour of supporters in a statement that has received widespread criticism.

Related items

  • Mbappe turns down Real Madrid to stay put at Paris Saint-Germain – reports Mbappe turns down Real Madrid to stay put at Paris Saint-Germain – reports

    Kylian Mbappe has decided to stay at Paris Saint-Germain instead of joining Real Madrid, according to multiple reports.

    Real Madrid were widely expected to sign Mbappe as a free agent following the expiration of his contract.

    However, PSG were determined to keep the 23-year-old forward – who has been in sensational form this season – and they now seem to have won that battle.

    Earlier this week the pendulum seemed to have swung firmly in Madrid's direction, with reports suggesting talks between Mbappe and PSG's Qatari owners had not swayed the striker, and that he wanted to join Los Blancos.

     

    Mbappe's mother and agent confirmed on Friday that agreements had been reached with both clubs and a decision would be made over the weekend.

    On Saturday, multiple major publications in France, including L'Equipe and Le Parisien, as well as ESPN, reported the former Monaco striker will be staying put.

    No details were put forward as to the length of Mbappe's new contract, though it was suggested the France star could confirm his decision at the Parc des Princes following PSG's season-ending match against Metz on Saturday.

    Mbappe is the club's second-highest goalscorer in their history, behind Edinson Cavani, having overtaken Zlatan Ibrahimovic when he netted for the 157th time in a PSG shirt earlier this season.

    The news will come as a blow to Madrid, who face Liverpool in the Champions League final next week.

    Los Blancos had also been linked with Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland, but he has decided to join Manchester City, and it appears as though Madrid president Florentino Perez will be made to wait for his next Galactico.

  • Lewandowski received Bayern contract offer and will not be sold – Kahn Lewandowski received Bayern contract offer and will not be sold – Kahn

    Bayern Munich chief executive Oliver Kahn insists Robert Lewandowski was offered a new contract and will not be allowed to leave in the close season. 

    Lewandowski has one year remaining on his existing deal and it was previously reported Bayern could look to sell the striker ahead of the 2022-23 campaign to avoid him going on a free.

    The Poland international, who has scored 110 goals over the past three Bundesliga seasons, has asked to leave and said after their final game against Wolfsburg last week that he had not received a proposal for new terms. 

    But Kahn denied that is true, telling Welt: "We submitted a concrete offer to his agent, otherwise we wouldn't have said that."

    Asked what fee would be required for Bayern to grant Barcelona-linked Lewandowski an exit before the end of his deal, Kahn was defiant. 

    "This isn't a question for us. Robert Lewandowski has a contract until 2023 and he will fulfil it," he said. 

    "I cannot say how Uli [Hoeness] or Karl-Heinz [Rummenigge] would have acted. When I started here, I was aware that the bar was set very high and that there would be situations where the past would always be brought up. 

    "Every situation is different and I act as I believe is right." 

    He added: "Bayern is not and will not become a development club. Bayern are still a big force. There are many players who would die to play for us. 

    "A development club is forced to sell players every now and then. That's not us. We want to keep our top players for as long as possible.

    "That's why we renewed [Joshua] Kimmich, [Leon] Goretzka, [Kingsley] Coman and [Thomas] Muller this season. Jamal Musiala is also key for the future." 

  • Women's Champions League final a '50-50' affair, says Lyon boss Bompastor Women's Champions League final a '50-50' affair, says Lyon boss Bompastor

    Lyon coach Sonia Bompastor says Saturday's Women's Champions League final against Barcelona will be a "50-50" affair, despite the Blaugrana's favourites tag.

    The French outfit are seeking an eighth title against Jonatan Giraldez's side, who have suffered just one loss this term across all competitions.

    Bompastor is seeking to become the first woman to win the Champions League as both a player and a manager after 2011 and 2012 triumphs with Lyon.

    The chance for looming history means she is determined her side will not be discounted in Turin.

    "Let's not forget Lyon have a lot of experience," she said at Friday's pre-match news conference. "This allows us to know how to approach it, but a final is 50-50. A magician never reveals their tricks.

    "But our team is a talented and we have the skill set necessary to give them a run for their money, which is what we're going to do.

    "This is a 10th final for Lyon and the chance to win an eighth title. That's more important than anything for me as an individual."

    Barcelona forward Asisat Oshoala, meanwhile, insists her side will not underestimate their opponents and their impressive pedigree too, even on the cusp of a famous clean sweep.

    "Lyon are a well respected team in Europe – they won the Champions League five years in a row and they are obviously the team to beat here," she said.

    "They're much stronger than they were three years ago. It would be good to win the Champions League again, not because it is Lyon we're playing against but because it's going to be an amazing experience for us to have it back-to-back.

    "We're getting closer to our goal, we're getting closer to where we want to be, so on the day I think it's going to be amazing.

    "It will be nice to play in front of a full stadium again with an amazing atmosphere, beautiful soccer from beautiful and great teams in Europe."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.