EPL

Pogba still at least a month away from Man Utd return, Rangnick confirms

By Sports Desk January 08, 2022

Paul Pogba is still "four or five weeks" away from returning to training with Manchester United, interim manager Ralf Rangnick has revealed.

The 28-year-old midfielder has not featured for United since their 2-2 Champions League draw with Atalanta on November 2, having sustained a calf injury on France duty shortly afterwards.

Rangnick previously indicated Pogba could make a comeback early in the new year, but that timescale has now been revised.

"As far as I know, I was told a week ago, it would be a minimum of at least another four or five weeks before he is fit for training again," Rangnick told United's official website.

"I saw him this morning before the training session. He was in the locker room, and I hope he will be back as soon as possible."

Prior to sustaining his injury, Pogba led the way in the Premier League for assists with seven from nine appearances, averaging exactly one assist per 90 minutes on the pitch.

Despite him missing United's last 11 matches, only Bruno Fernandes (eight) has assisted more goals than Pogba for the Red Devils in all competitions this season.

Among players in Europe's top five leagues to have played as many times as Pogba this term, only RB Leipzig's Brian Brobbey has assisted more goals per 90 minutes (1.45).

Pogba is yet to appear under Rangnick, who was appointed as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's temporary successor in late November, but the German will not rush the midfielder's return.

"Right now, he's not been part of the training group and, even if he was back whenever, two, three or four weeks, it will take some time," Rangnick said.

"It's one thing to be training fit, but he needs to be fit for the match and competition in either the Premier League or the Champions League and this will still take some time."

Pogba is into the final six months of his United contract and has been strongly tipped for a free transfer away from Old Trafford at the end of the campaign.

According to reports in the British press on Friday, United have offered Pogba a new deal worth £500,000 a week.

Speaking last month, Rangnick insisted it is not his job to persuade Pogba – or any other United player – to stay at the club.

The Red Devils are back in action on Monday with an FA Cup third-round game against Aston Villa at Old Trafford.

Related items

  • 'I think he will stay in the end' – Bologna coach confident in keeping Man Utd target Arnautovic 'I think he will stay in the end' – Bologna coach confident in keeping Man Utd target Arnautovic

    Bologna coach Sinisa Mihajlovic has joined the club's sporting director Marco Di Vaio in suggesting 33-year-old Manchester United target Marko Arnautovic will remain in Italy this season.

    Arnautovic arrived at Bologna ahead of the 2021-22 campaign after three years with Shanghai Port in China, and it proved to be a savvy move from the Serie A side as he netted 15 goals in 34 appearances – eight more goals than any of his teammates.

    Speaking before Bologna's Coppa Italia clash against Cosenza, Di Vaio said Arnautovic is at the centre of what he is trying to accomplish this season, and that "it's not a question of money, it's priceless for what it represents for us" before adding "he has no market value".

    After the match, Mihajlovic told the media he believes the club will hold on to the big Austrian.

    "If he were to go away it would be a great loss," he said. "I would be happy for him, but I think he will stay in the end.

    "We talked to each other, surely if he stays here he will train well and do what he has to do. If he goes away we will see, but I don't think so."

    United reportedly have had a €9million offer turned down, while Arnautovic's agent has confirmed "it's true that there is an offer from a well-known club."

  • Everton sign England international Coady from Wolves Everton sign England international Coady from Wolves

    Everton have announced the signing of England international Conor Coady from Wolves.

    The 29-year-old defender joins Frank Lampard's side on a season-long loan, becoming the club's fourth signing of the window after James Tarkowski, Ruben Vinagre and Dwight McNeil.

    Capped 10 times by England, Coady has captained Wolves for the past four seasons and will be hopeful of making Gareth Southgate's squad for the World Cup in Qatar.

    "It's incredible to join Everton. As soon as I heard the interest, from the manager but also the football club itself, I really wanted to be part of it straight away. I'm over the moon to join," he told the club's official website.

    "I've grown up around the city, I know the football club, how big this club is and what it means to the supporters. I'm someone who was desperate to come here, to play for this club. I've got family and friends who are massive Evertonians.

    "I'm here to give absolutely everything I've got for this football club. It's important I work as hard as I can to help my teammates, help the club move forward and make people proud."

    Everton opened the Premier League campaign with a 1-0 defeat to Chelsea but are set to strengthen their ranks further before Saturday's trip to face Aston Villa.

    The signing of 20-year-old midfielder Amadou Onana from Lille is expected to be announced imminently for Everton, meanwhile, Wolves will use the sale of Coady to help fund their move for Valencia's Goncalo Guedes, which was also confirmed by the Spanish club on Monday.

    #welcomeCoady pic.twitter.com/7yx1IMdAc9

    — Everton (@Everton) August 8, 2022
  • Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest

    Bologna sporting director Marco Di Vaio has warned Manchester United off a move for "priceless" forward Marko Arnautovic.

    United are widely reported to have made an approach to try and bring Arnautovic back to the Premier League, where he previously represented West Ham United and Stoke City.

    Erik ten Hag is short of options to lead the line, with Cristiano Ronaldo's future uncertain and Anthony Martial injured, but luring Arnautovic from Bologna will not be an easy task.

    Speaking ahead of the Coppa Italia clash against Cosenza, Di Vaio made it clear that the Serie A club are not willing to negotiate over a deal.

    "It is not easy to play in the market phase, there is a lot of talk, our will is to retain Marko. He is at the centre of our project," he told Italia 1.

    "This interest makes us proud above all because it is an idea born by Sabatini [Walter, Bologna's former sporting director] and carried out by the club to realise a dream that was to bring him here after two three years in China.

    "It was a bet won, he responded on the field and we want to move forward with him. Our will is not to sell, but to strengthen the team to make an important season."

    Pressed over whether the club's stance would change if a significant offer was presented, Di Vaio suggested that would not be the case.

    "It's not a question of money, it's priceless for what it represents for us," he explained.

    "We want to move forward with him because we are convinced that he can do better and help us grow. He is always the first in training to spur others, he has no market value."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.