Man City confirm Guardiola has tested positive for COVID-19

By Sports Desk January 06, 2022

Pep Guardiola has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss Manchester City's FA Cup tie against Swindon Town, the Premier League champions have confirmed.

Guardiola and his assistant Juanma Lillo recorded positive test results on Tuesday, and both are now isolating.

City now have 21 members of their squad – seven players and 14 backroom staff – in isolation.

Fourth-tier Swindon host City in the FA Cup third round on Friday, and assistant coach Rodolfo Borrell will take charge of the Premier League leaders.

Guardiola joins three fellow Premier League managers who have had to isolate in the last week.

Arsenal manager and Guardiola's former assistant Mikel Arteta had to watch on from home as the Gunners lost 2-1 to City on New Year's Day.

Jurgen Klopp, meanwhile, was absent for Liverpool's draw with Chelsea on Sunday while on Thursday, Burnley confirmed Sean Dyche was isolating after testing positive.

Related items

  • England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential

    Jamie Bynoe-Gittens was hailed as a "very special" talent as the latest English star to dazzle for Borussia Dortmund signed a new long-term contract.

    England Under-19 star Bynoe-Gittens has committed to the German club until June 30, 2025, with the news emerging swiftly in the wake of his first Bundesliga goal.

    The 18-year-old scored an equaliser as Dortmund went on to beat Freiburg 3-1 last Friday, following in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham in becoming another exciting young English player to emerge at the club.

    Bynoe-Gittens was acquired from Manchester City in September 2020 and played for Dortmund's age-group sides until recently breaking into the first-team ranks.

    He has played just 159 minutes in the Bundesliga, spread across one start and four substitute appearances, but Dortmund are massively excited about his potential.

    Sporting director Sebastian Kehl, a former Germany international, said: "Jamie's speed and creativity have always been excellent. With his unpredictability in one-on-one situations, he gives our squad a very special element even at his young age.

    "It's fun to watch him work on himself and his game. We think he still has a lot more potential for development, and we will give him the time he needs to do it."

    Dortmund announced the new deal in an official club statement, saying it was agreed last week.

    Bynoe-Gittens, who helped England win the Under-19 Euros in July, said the new Dortmund deal "means a lot to me".

    The teenager told the club's website: "It was always my goal to continue at BVB after the coronavirus and some injuries at the beginning of my journey that has just begun.

    "Now I can't wait to continue working hard on myself and my game to hopefully help the team in the coming months and years."

  • Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card

    Crystal Palace defender Joachim Andersen has highlighted the torrent of abuse he has received on social media following the club's 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield.

    The Danish defender was involved in one of the biggest flashpoints of the game, when Reds forward Darwin Nunez headbutted Andersen and received a red card.

    Andersen was able to get under the skin of the Uruguayan, leading to a rise in frustrations and ultimately to Nunez's angry reaction after the pair clashed in the penalty box.

    While Liverpool were able to cancel out Wilfried Zaha's opener through Luis Diaz, the draw leaves them without a win from their opening two Premier League matches of the season and Andersen was a target for trolls on social media after the game.

    Revealing the abuse on Instagram, Andersen shared 17 images including death threats and abusive messages while urging football's governing bodies to take action.

    "Got maybe 300 to 400 of these messages last night. I understand you support a team but have some respect and stop acting tough online," he said.

    "I hope Instagram and the Premier League do something about this."

    Abuse against footballers on social media has been well documented in recent years and there have been frequent calls for more firm action to be taken.

    On Tuesday, a man was handed an eight-week suspended custodial sentence following racist abuse targeted at England footballers Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford following their missed penalties in the European Championship final against Italy last year.

    Last April, English clubs announced a boycott of social media in response to discrimination and abuse aimed at footballers, pundits and other members of the footballing community.

  • Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus

    Jorge Jesus says Fenerbahce have no chance of signing Cristiano Ronaldo as the Manchester United forward wants to play in one of the 'big five' leagues.

    The Red Devils are reportedly open to offers for the Portugal captain, who only returned to Old Trafford from Juventus last September.

    Ronaldo was on the bench for United's 2-1 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in their opening game of the Premier League season, before starting in the chastening 4-0 thrashing at Brentford last Saturday.

    The prolific forward's future has long since been the subject of speculation and Fenerbahce are among a host of clubs said to be keen to sign him before the transfer window closes on September 1.

    Fenerbahce head coach Jesus has ruled out any possibility that the prolific 37-year-old could be on his way to Turkey.

    He said: "Yes, I'm a friend of Ronaldo, But he doesn't want to come, he has other ideas.

    "I think he doesn't want to play in any league other than one of the big five."

    Asked if he thinks Ronaldo will stay at United, the Portuguese replied: "I know that he will not play for Fenerbahce."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.