Juventus 2-0 Genoa: Cuadrado and Dybala deliver win for Allegri's men

By Sports Desk December 05, 2021

Juventus moved up to fifth in Serie A as goals from Juan Cuadrado and Paulo Dybala sealed a 2-0 win over Genoa at the Allianz Stadium.

Cuadrado got Juve on their way in the ninth minute of Sunday's game, the wing-back whipping in straight from a corner for his third league goal of the campaign.

Salvatore Sirigu made a string of saves to deny Juve after that, but Dybala ensured there was to be no tense finale with a fine finish eight minutes from full-time.

Despite now winning four of their last five Serie A matches, Juve are still seven points adrift of fourth-placed Atalanta, while Genoa remain 18th and two points from safety.

Juve went ahead when Cuadrado's corner from the left looped over Sirigu and in off the underside of the crossbar, the Colombia international becoming only the eighth player to score directly from a corner in Serie A since 2010.

Sirigu blocked a Federico Bernardeschi effort at his near post soon after, and the Genoa goalkeeper did superbly to keep out Matthijs de Ligt's initial header and close-range follow-up in the 37th minute.

Sirigu was called into action again on the stroke of half-time, this time repelling Alvaro Morata's strike on the stretch after an incisive break.

Dybala whipped over at the start of the second period, before an inspired Sirigu denied Morata, Dybala and Cuadrado in quick succession.

Argentina international Dybala did eventually get the better of Sirigu, firing across him from the left-hand side of the penalty area after being played in by Bernardeschi.

Related items

  • 'I think he will stay in the end' – Bologna coach confident in keeping Man Utd target Arnautovic 'I think he will stay in the end' – Bologna coach confident in keeping Man Utd target Arnautovic

    Bologna coach Sinisa Mihajlovic has joined the club's sporting director Marco Di Vaio in suggesting 33-year-old Manchester United target Marko Arnautovic will remain in Italy this season.

    Arnautovic arrived at Bologna ahead of the 2021-22 campaign after three years with Shanghai Port in China, and it proved to be a savvy move from the Serie A side as he netted 15 goals in 34 appearances – eight more goals than any of his teammates.

    Speaking before Bologna's Coppa Italia clash against Cosenza, Di Vaio said Arnautovic is at the centre of what he is trying to accomplish this season, and that "it's not a question of money, it's priceless for what it represents for us" before adding "he has no market value".

    After the match, Mihajlovic told the media he believes the club will hold on to the big Austrian.

    "If he were to go away it would be a great loss," he said. "I would be happy for him, but I think he will stay in the end.

    "We talked to each other, surely if he stays here he will train well and do what he has to do. If he goes away we will see, but I don't think so."

    United reportedly have had a €9million offer turned down, while Arnautovic's agent has confirmed "it's true that there is an offer from a well-known club."

  • Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest Bologna determined to retain 'priceless' Arnautovic amid reported Man Utd interest

    Bologna sporting director Marco Di Vaio has warned Manchester United off a move for "priceless" forward Marko Arnautovic.

    United are widely reported to have made an approach to try and bring Arnautovic back to the Premier League, where he previously represented West Ham United and Stoke City.

    Erik ten Hag is short of options to lead the line, with Cristiano Ronaldo's future uncertain and Anthony Martial injured, but luring Arnautovic from Bologna will not be an easy task.

    Speaking ahead of the Coppa Italia clash against Cosenza, Di Vaio made it clear that the Serie A club are not willing to negotiate over a deal.

    "It is not easy to play in the market phase, there is a lot of talk, our will is to retain Marko. He is at the centre of our project," he told Italia 1.

    "This interest makes us proud above all because it is an idea born by Sabatini [Walter, Bologna's former sporting director] and carried out by the club to realise a dream that was to bring him here after two three years in China.

    "It was a bet won, he responded on the field and we want to move forward with him. Our will is not to sell, but to strengthen the team to make an important season."

    Pressed over whether the club's stance would change if a significant offer was presented, Di Vaio suggested that would not be the case.

    "It's not a question of money, it's priceless for what it represents for us," he explained.

    "We want to move forward with him because we are convinced that he can do better and help us grow. He is always the first in training to spur others, he has no market value."

  • Galatasaray confirm double signing of Mertens and Torreira Galatasaray confirm double signing of Mertens and Torreira

    Galatasaray have confirmed the double signing of Dries Mertens and Lucas Torreira.

    The Turkish Super Lig side announced they were in negotiations for both players on Saturday, with images circulating on social media of the pair travelling to Istanbul from Milan.

    Mertens, a free agent following the end of his nine-year stint with Napoli, has penned a one-year deal with the club.

    The Belgium international won the Coppa Italia twice during his time in Naples and was a member of the Red Devils squad that came third in the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

    At 35-years-old, Mertens is yet to announce his international retirement and could yet feature at this year's World Cup in Qatar, where Belgium will be in Group F alongside Canada, Croatia and Morocco.

    Torreira, meanwhile, had fallen down the pecking order at Arsenal, spending the past two seasons on loan with Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina. He has signed a four-year contract.

    Capped 39 times by Uruguay, the midfielder will be aiming to represent the South Americans in Qatar – who sit in Group H with Ghana, Portugal and South Korea.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.