Bundesliga attendances capped at 15,000 as Germany looks to tackle rising coronavirus cases

By Sports Desk December 02, 2021

Bundesliga fixtures will see stadiums capped at 15,000 spectators from this weekend in a bid to tackle rising coronavirus cases in Germany.

On Thursday, 73,000 new infections and 388 deaths were reported in the country, with a fourth wave threatening to overwhelm intensive care units.

Chancellor Angela Merkel and her soon-to-be successor Olaf Scholz have consequently reached agreement with the leaders of Germany's 16 states to reintroduce preventative measures aimed at limiting the spread of COVID-19.

One of the rules means Bundesliga matches, which have been operating with near-capacity crowds this season, will be restricted to 50 per cent attendance with a maximum of 15,000.

The reintroduction of measures impacts Saturday's Klassiker clash between leaders Bayern Munich and second-place Borussia Dortmund taking place at Signal Iduna Park. Only one point separates the teams at the top of the table.

German Football League (DFL) chief Christian Seifert said the governing body can understand why the rules have been put in place.

"The DFL is aware of the currently difficult corona situation, especially with a view to the strain on some regional health systems," he said via a DFL statement.

"It is regrettable that, due to the pandemic situation and the still too low vaccination rate in Germany, restrictions in many areas of life are once again necessary.

"In this situation, a differentiated, comprehensible, but above all effective policy strategy is required.

"A temporary restriction on the admission of fans to the stadiums is therefore understandable. The DFL hopes that this decision by the federal and state governments will lay the foundation for a rapid improvement in the pandemic situation.

"The DFL and its clubs will of course continue to support all vaccination effort."

Related items

  • England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential

    Jamie Bynoe-Gittens was hailed as a "very special" talent as the latest English star to dazzle for Borussia Dortmund signed a new long-term contract.

    England Under-19 star Bynoe-Gittens has committed to the German club until June 30, 2025, with the news emerging swiftly in the wake of his first Bundesliga goal.

    The 18-year-old scored an equaliser as Dortmund went on to beat Freiburg 3-1 last Friday, following in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham in becoming another exciting young English player to emerge at the club.

    Bynoe-Gittens was acquired from Manchester City in September 2020 and played for Dortmund's age-group sides until recently breaking into the first-team ranks.

    He has played just 159 minutes in the Bundesliga, spread across one start and four substitute appearances, but Dortmund are massively excited about his potential.

    Sporting director Sebastian Kehl, a former Germany international, said: "Jamie's speed and creativity have always been excellent. With his unpredictability in one-on-one situations, he gives our squad a very special element even at his young age.

    "It's fun to watch him work on himself and his game. We think he still has a lot more potential for development, and we will give him the time he needs to do it."

    Dortmund announced the new deal in an official club statement, saying it was agreed last week.

    Bynoe-Gittens, who helped England win the Under-19 Euros in July, said the new Dortmund deal "means a lot to me".

    The teenager told the club's website: "It was always my goal to continue at BVB after the coronavirus and some injuries at the beginning of my journey that has just begun.

    "Now I can't wait to continue working hard on myself and my game to hopefully help the team in the coming months and years."

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd considering moves for Vardy and Aubameyang Rumour Has It: Man Utd considering moves for Vardy and Aubameyang

    Manchester United have come in for huge criticism following their poor start to the season.

    United have failed to land major off-season transfer targets and are eager to add reinforcements.

    The start of Erik ten Hag's tenure as manager has been hugely disappointing, with back-to-back Premier League defeats.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD TURN TO VARDY TO SOLVE STRIKER ISSUES

    Manchester United are considering a bid for Leicester City forward Jamie Vardy to solve their striker conundrum, claims The Athletic.

    The Red Devils have endured a frustrating transfer window and have only netted once in their opening two league games.

    Vardy is among a number of targets United are keen on, having also been linked with Barcelona's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, according to The Sun.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – TalkSPORT claims Manchester United are getting close to a €50million (£42m) deal for Atletico Madrid's Brazilian forward Matheus Cunha. The 23-year-old joined Atletico from Hertha Berlin last year on a five-year deal.

    Chelsea are closing in on a deal for Inter's Cesare Casadei, according to Calciomercato. Inter have set their asking price at €15m (£12.5m) plus €5m in bonuses, which the Blues are edging closer to meet. The deal may aid Romelu Lukaku sealing a permanent switch to the Nerazzurri.

    – Talks are ongoing between Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus on agreeing a move for Leandro Paredes, reports Fabrizio Romano. Personal terms have been agreed between the Argentinian and the Bianconeri on a long-term deal.

    Wolves will sign Portuguese midfielder Matheus Nunes for a club-record fee of €45m (£38m) plus €5m in add-ons from Sporting CP, according to Record. Liverpool, West Ham and Manchester City had been tracking Nunes.

    – Diario Sport claims Barcelona may be willing to let Samuel Umtiti exit as a free agent amid interest from various unnamed clubs. Umtiti, who is contracted at Camp Nou until 2026, has struggled with injuries during his time at the Blaugrana.

  • Allegri 'not worried' about Di Maria injury, coy on Paredes transfer Allegri 'not worried' about Di Maria injury, coy on Paredes transfer

    Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri has insisted he is "not worried" about Angel Di Maria after the Argentine limped off against Sassuolo.

    Di Maria opened the scoring on his debut and provided an assist for Dusan Vlahovic in the 3-0 triumph, where the striker also won and converted a penalty.

    After a slow start, it was largely plain sailing for Juventus after Di Maria's debut goal, but concern was raised after the former Paris Saint-Germain ace limped off in the second half with a suspected adductor injury.

    Juventus also saw Denis Zakaria pick up an injury during the match, but Allegri insisted that he was not concerned about the prospective setbacks.

    "I am not worried. We'll see what the tests say tomorrow," he told DAZN.

    "Unfortunately, these things happen in football. He had this adductor issue a week ago too, perhaps I should've taken him off when we were 3-0 up, but he was enjoying himself out there. 

    "Zakaria just had a cramp, nothing more. The important thing is that we won a game that we really wanted to win, which was by no means simple."

    Juventus' may make further additions before the close of the transfer window on September 1, with Di Maria's compatriot and former PSG teammate Leandro Paredes heavily touted to make a move to Turin.

    The midfielder was shown on social media to be following the game but Allegri played down the significance.

    "They are friends, both from Argentina, so that's natural. I don't know if they can play together, I have to work with the players at my disposal," he added.

    "The club has done well, we lost important players and brought in good replacements."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.