Luis Enrique welcomes Xavi back to Barca – I hope he wins many things!

By Sports Desk November 05, 2021

Luis Enrique welcomed the imminent appointment of Xavi as head coach of Barcelona but doubts he can offer any worthy advice to the Camp Nou legend.

The long-awaited return of Xavi now appears a formality after Al Sadd announced Barcelona had agreed to buy the 41-year-old out of his contract.

Spanish newspaper Sport has reported Barcelona and Xavi are planning to split the cost of buying the coach out of that deal with the Qatar Stars League team.

Barcelona have encountered major financial problems but are optimistic Xavi will be the man who leads a turnaround of their fortunes on the pitch.

Heading into this weekend, they sit ninth in LaLiga after 11 games, having won just four times in the competition. A trip to face Celta Vigo in their test on Saturday, with Xavi reportedly set to be presented on Monday.

Spain boss Luis Enrique played for Barcelona from 1996 to 2004, overlapping with the early years of Xavi's playing career, and later coached the team from 2014 to 2017, winning a stack of trophies including two LaLiga titles and a Champions League.

"It was almost an announced rumour that Xavi would have the chance to come back to his home. Hopefully he will have a great time there, hopefully he will be able to win many things with Barcelona," Luis Enrique said at a news conference on Friday, after announcing Spain's squad for their upcoming international fixtures.

"It's true that I have been in the dressing room at lot at Barcelona, but also at ​​Sporting [Gijon] and Real Madrid. And as a coach I've also been in many dressing rooms.

"But in this one, specifically, Xavi has been there much more than me. I think he will almost be able to give me tips."

Xavi played 767 games for Barcelona, which is a tally only beaten by Lionel Messi (778), whose close-season exit to Paris Saint-Germain has left Barcelona reeling.

In all, Xavi won LaLiga eight times and the Champions League on four occasions before ending his long association with the club in 2015, having played in a treble-winning campaign under Luis Enrique.

Now Xavi is heading back to the Catalan giants, reportedly on an early morning flight from Qatar on Saturday, and is already being portrayed as a saviour.

There could be bumps along the way, given Barcelona's current crop of players does not match up favourably against the teams that Xavi played in while previously with the Blaugrana.

Al Sadd even referred to the "critical stage" at Barcelona as they announced Xavi's exit.

Luis Enrique said: "I hope it goes very well for him and that he can achieve many things with a club as big as Barca."

Related items

  • Inter 3-2 Empoli (aet): Extra-time Sensi strike edges Nerazzurri into Coppa Italia quarter-finals Inter 3-2 Empoli (aet): Extra-time Sensi strike edges Nerazzurri into Coppa Italia quarter-finals

    Stefano Sensi scored the winner as Inter required extra-time to edge past Empoli 3-2 in the Coppa Italia last 16 on Wednesday.

    Alexis Sanchez opened the scoring after just 12 minutes at the San Siro, but Empoli turned things around as substitute Nedim Bajrami equalised before the visitors fortuitously took the lead when Ionut Radu deflected into his own net.

    Andrea Ranocchia produced an acrobatic stoppage-time equaliser to send the tie to extra-time and substitute Sensi delivered the decisive strike after 104 minutes. 

    Victory meant Simone Inzaghi's Serie A leaders squirmed through to the quarter-finals for the 18th time in 19 seasons.

    Inter deservedly took the lead when Sanchez nodded Denzel Dumfries' cross into the bottom-left corner - the forward's second goal in the competition, 4,291 days after his first for Udinese in 2010.

    The same pair combined eight minutes later, but Dumfries saw his effort kept out by Jacopo Furlan before a fantastic double save from the Empoli goalkeeper denied Lautaro Martinez.

    Ranocchia should have doubled the lead immediately after the interval but wastefully headed over.

    Bajrami punished Ranocchia's miss as he placed a left-footed effort into the bottom-right corner after Kristjan Asllani's offload before VAR overturned a penalty decision for a Dumfries handball. 

    Empoli went ahead when Radu inadvertently turned into his own net after Patrick Cutrone nodded against the woodwork, though Ranocchia equalised with an audacious volley past Furlan.

    Sanchez saw a tap-in ruled out for offside at the end of normal time, but Sensi blasted the winner into the top-left corner from the edge of the area in extra time.

     

    What does it mean? Familiar story as Inter need extra-time

    Inter enjoyed last-minute success against Juventus in the Supercoppa final last week and required more last-gasp heroics from Ranocchia to keep them in the tie.

    The centre-back's equaliser meant four of the Nerazzurri's previous eight last-16 meetings in the competition have gone to extra-time.

    Sensi's late strike ensured Inter remain unbeaten against Empoli in 11 games in this competition, the club's longest run against an opponent in the cup without losing, and Inzaghi's side will be among the early favourites to lift the trophy in May.

    Brilliant Bajrami

    Bajrami almost single-handedly changed Empoli's fortunes after his half-time introduction, scoring the equaliser in a classy attacking display, but his efforts ultimately proved to be in vain.

    The substitute created a game-leading four chances despite only playing the second half and extra-time.

    Poor Pinamonti

    Loanee Andrea Pinamonti was offered the unusual opportunity of starting up top against his parent club Inter but did little to impress.

    The striker managed just 13 touches and won none of his five duels before his half-time removal in a timid performance.

    What's next?

    Inter return to league action on Saturday at home to Venezia, while Empoli host Jose Mourinho's Roma the following day.

  • Betis ordered to shut stadium for two games after derby suspension Betis ordered to shut stadium for two games after derby suspension

    Real Betis will be unable to play their next two home games at Estadio Benito Villamarin following the suspension of their Copa del Rey clash with local rivals Sevilla. 

    The last-16 match was halted on Saturday after Sevilla midfielder Joan Jordan was hit on the head by a projectile thrown from the stands while Betis celebrated Nabil Fekir cancelling out Alejandro Gomez's opener in the 39th minute. 

    Betis emerged as 2-1 winners when the game resumed behind closed doors the following day. 

    However, their next two home fixtures will have to take place at a different venue after the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) ordered the closure of their stadium as punishment. It was deemed Betis, who have 10 days to appeal, had taken "insufficient" measures to prevent the event from occurring. 

    The official statement released by the RFEF read: "The sanction application to the disciplinary infraction … would be the total or partial closure of the venue for up to three games, or for two months. 

    "In this sense, this body considers the imposition of the sanction of total closure in its medium degree to be adequate and proportionate." 

    Manuel Pellegrini's side are scheduled to host Villarreal on February 5 and Real Mallorca two weeks later. However, if they are drawn at home in the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey they may not be able to play that match at their usual ground. 

  • AFCON matchday preview: Holders Algeria on the brink, Tunisia with work to do as COVID-19 cases pile up AFCON matchday preview: Holders Algeria on the brink, Tunisia with work to do as COVID-19 cases pile up

    Algeria could become the second major casualty of the Africa Cup of Nations as the group stages are concluded on Thursday.

    The defending champions head into their final – and arguably toughest – Group E match in a desperate position after failing to impress in their first two outings.

    Thursday will also bring an end to Group F, where Algeria's neighbours Tunisia have plenty of work to do as well.

    Ivory Coast v Algeria (16:00 GMT)

    With one point from two matches, Algeria head into matchday three bottom of Group E and staring into the abyss of elimination.

    Only a victory against group leaders Ivory Coast will be enough to take them into the knockouts, otherwise they will fall at the first hurdle for the third time in five AFCON tournaments.

    Ivory Coast will be hoping to gain a measure of revenge for their 2019 quarter-final penalty shoot-out defeat to the Fennec Foxes, with the Elephants heading into the game unbeaten in five AFCON games.

    They too have something to play for, with top spot still up for grabs.

    One to watch: Youcef Belaili (Algeria)

    You certainly cannot fault the effort of winger Belaili, given his eight shots is three more than any of his team-mates and he has also tallied the most touches in the opposition's box (11), but there is little getting away from the fact Algeria in general need to sharpen up in front of goal if they are to avoid following Ghana into shock elimination.

     

    Sierra Leone v Equatorial Guinea (16:00 GMT)

    Before the tournament started, few would have given this pair much hope of finishing in the top two, yet either could grasp that opportunity on Thursday.

    Equatorial Guinea are second and hold a one-point advantage, meaning a draw may well be enough to get them through at least as one of the best third-placed teams.

    But Sierra Leone drew 2-2 with Ivory Coast last time out following a goalless stalemate with Algeria – the results showed they are not to be taken lightly.

    Equatorial Guinea will be favourites, however, and they have only ever lost two of their eight AFCON group games.

    One to watch: Mohamed Nbalie Kamara (Sierra Leone)

    Kamara has been one of the standout goalkeepers at the tournament so far. His 12 saves are the most of anyone, and those stops have seen him record a 'goals prevented' record of 2.1, the second-best record among keepers at the AFCON.

     

    Gambia v Tunisia (19:00 GMT)

    Although Tunisia could potentially sneak through as one of the best third-place teams with their current haul of three points, it would be a disappointing group stage total for a side that came into the tournament with high expectations.

    Yet the Carthage Eagles' situation is slightly complicated by the fact they recorded seven new positive COVID-19 cases in the build-up, with key players Wahbi Khazri and Ali Maaloul among them.

    That will be a boost to Gambia, however, with the Scorpions aiming to become only the third AFCON debutants this century to go unbeaten in the group stage.

    But Tunisia have not lost to an AFCON debutant since the 1996 final.

    One to watch: Hannibal Mejbri (Tunisia)

    Manchester United youngster Hannibal has been used sparingly in this tournament, playing just 45 minutes so far. Yet, his tally of two chances created is only bettered by Khazri and Maaloul (both on three), and given Tunisia's COVID-19 issues, a first start may be on the cards.

     

    Mali v Mauritania (19:00 GMT)

    A wonderful chance presents itself here for Mali, as they target topping Group F.

    If they better Gambia's result against Tunisia, that is exactly what they will achieve, as well as extending their longest ever group stage unbeaten run to seven matches.

    Anything other than a Mali win would be a significant surprise given Mauritania are bottom of the group and pointless, their five goals conceded second-worse to Ethiopia, who have played a game more.

    One to watch: Ibrahima Kone (Mali)

    Kone has played a prominent role in Mali's solid start to the tournament, scoring a penalty in each of their two matches. If he nets against Mauritania, he will be the first Malian to tally get three goals in a single AFCON edition since former Barcelona midfielder Seydou Keita in 2013.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.