Champions League destiny is in our hands – Inzaghi buoyant after Inter beat Sheriff

By Sports Desk November 03, 2021

Simone Inzaghi says Inter's "destiny is in our hands" after a 3-1 victory over Sheriff moved them up to second in Champions League Group D. 

Marcelo Brozovic, Milan Skriniar and Alexis Sanchez were on target for the Serie A side at the Bolshaya Sportivnaya Arena, while Adama Traore scored a late consolation for the hosts. 

The result meant Inter leapfrogged the Moldovan side into second, two points adrift of leaders Real Madrid. 

After victory over Sheriff at San Siro a fortnight ago, Inter have now recorded back-to-back Champions League wins for the first time since winning their opening two of the 2018-19 campaign. 

"Let's say that this evening we improved our position in the group, now our destiny is in our hands and we must go into the last two games with great concentration," Inzaghi told Mediaset Infinity. 

"There was the risk after 10 or 12 chances that we'd get frustrated and frenetic, but instead the lads were always sharp and focused. We made it seem simple, but don't forget Sheriff beat Real Madrid in Madrid and also Shakhtar Donetsk. This gives us more confidence." 

Inzaghi's attention now turns to his first Derby della Madonnina against Milan on Sunday, with Inter looking to inflict a first Serie A defeat of the season on their rivals. 

"We know what awaits us, it means a lot to our fans and the club," he added. "We must prepare it in the best way with just three days to get ready. 

"It's a long flight back to Italy, but we will try to recoup that physical and above all psychological energy." 

Brozovic shared Inzaghi's sentiments, saying going back to Italy with maximum points was all that mattered. 

"Now we control our own destiny," Brozovic, who scored his first Champions League goal in his 27th appearance in the competition, told Sky Sport Italia. 

"The only thing that mattered today was winning. We played really well, attacked and did not allow any counter-attacks. 

"The coach said a few things [at half-time], we needed to move the ball quicker and then we'd 100 per cent score a goal." 

Related items

  • Medvedev battles into French Open second round after Koepfer triumph Medvedev battles into French Open second round after Koepfer triumph

    Daniil Medvedev staved off a Dominik Koepfer fightback to record a battling victory in the French Open first round on Monday.

    The world number five raced out the blocks on Court Simonne-Mathieu and eventually triumphed 6-3 6-4 5-7 6-3 in Paris.

    Medvedev, a five-time major runner-up and 2021 US Open champion, broke Koepfer's first service game in the French capital with that a seeming sign of things to come.

    Though the 28-year-old dropped his serve in the first set, Medvedev had little trouble in responding with the score finely poised at 3-2 to claim first blood at Roland-Garros.

    The fifth seed has only ever gone as far as the quarter-finals, three years ago, at the French Open but showed his clinical best to snatch the second set after holding all six service games for a narrow triumph.

    World number 65 Koepfer battled back in the third but the resilient Medvedev responded by breaking his German opponent early in the fourth set, finally securing victory in just over three hours.

    Data Debrief: Medvedev gets better of Koepfer again

    Medvedev has won all four of his meetings with Koepfer, with his most recent such victory seeing him reach the second round at Roland-Garros for the third time in eight attempts.

    Since the start of the 2021 season, Medvedev is 27-1 against players ranked outside the top 50 at major events, with his only loss in that run coming against Seyboth Wild in the French Open first round last year.

    Koepfer, meanwhile, extends to 1-17 against top-10 players in his career, earning his only such victory against over Gael Monfils – then ranked ninth in the world – at the 2020 ATP Masters 1000 event in Rome.

  • Euro 2024 absence caps cruel period for Netherlands midfielder De Roon Euro 2024 absence caps cruel period for Netherlands midfielder De Roon

    Netherlands will be without Marten de Roon at Euro 2024 after an injury blow capped a cruel period for the Atalanta midfielder.

    De Roon suffered a muscle injury two weeks ago in Atalanta's 2-0 Coppa Italia final loss to Juventus, subsequently missing Gian Piero Gasperini's side lifting the Europa League with victory over Bayer Leverkusen.

    The Netherlands international was in the stands in Dublin for the 3-0 win over Xabi Alonso's Bundesliga champions that secured Atalanta's first European trophy in history.

    Having already been named in Ronald Koeman's 30-man provisional squad for the Euros in Germany, starting in June, De Roon suffered another gut-wrenching punch after his absence was confirmed.

    "I can't imagine I've had a week in my career, or in my life, that has had so many ups and downs," the Atalanta man wrote on social media on Monday.

    "Lost the Coppa Italia, couldn't play the final, win the Europa League.

    "In that last euphoric state, I spent a lot of time with the medical staff: it turns out I can't play the Euros.

    "I will get over it, I will watch the squad and my friends as a fan, but for now it's a very tough day."

    De Roon has won 42 caps for his country and featured at the last European Championships and the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

    His absence means Koeman has to cut just six players down from his provisional squad for the final 23-man selection, which will be announced on Wednesday.

    Netherlands open their Euro 2024 campaign against Poland on June 16 before facing France and Austria in the group stages.

    Koeman's squad assembled on Monday for their pre-tournament training camp, ahead of warm-up matches with Canada and Iceland.

  • Bochum avoid Bundesliga relegation after play-off penalty drama downs Dusseldorf Bochum avoid Bundesliga relegation after play-off penalty drama downs Dusseldorf

    Bochum will be playing in the Bundesliga once again next campaign after staving off relegation with a penalty shoot-out victory over Fortuna Dusseldorf in the play-offs.

    Heiko Butscher's side finished 16th in the German top-flight table in the 2023-24 season, though got the better of their 2.Bundesliga opponents to secure another season in the competition.

    Needing to overturn a three-goal deficit from the first-leg play-off defeat, Philipp Hofmann stole the show with a goal in either half before Kevin Stoger's 70th-minute penalty sent the tie to extra time.

    The pair could not be separated across an additional 30 minutes at Dusseldorf Arena, ensuring spot-kicks were required to decide the fate of the two Bundesliga hopefuls.

    Andre Hoffmann missed Dusseldorf's first but Erhan Masovic also faltered, leaving a winner-takes-all scenario in a sudden-death shoot-out with the score at 4-4.

    Maximilian Wittek then converted before Takashi Uchino fired wide, sealing a 6-5 penalty shoot-out victory for Bochum after a 3-0 win on Monday snatched a 3-3 aggregate draw.

    Dusseldorf finished third in Germany's second division this season and will be forced for, at least, another campaign in 2. Bundesliga after this play-off heartbreak.

    This was the first time a play-off has gone to penalties since the Bundesliga reintroduced the fixture, with Bochum ultimately prevailing to keep their top-flight status intact.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.