'Chiellini at 20 was like him, maybe worse' - Allegri predicts long Juve future for De Ligt despite Raiola comments

By Sports Desk September 18, 2021

Massimiliano Allegri has reminded Matthijs de Ligt's critics that even Giorgio Chiellini had his struggles as a young player and is convinced the Dutchman has a long future ahead of him at Juventus despite Mino Raiola encouraging speculation.

De Ligt joined Juve on the back of Ajax's unlikely journey to the 2018-19 Champions League semi-finals, in which he played a vital role as he helped build moves from the back with his passing abilities but also proving a dominant physical presence despite his tender age.

His 0.45 headed shots on target every 90 minutes was the most of all defenders in the competition to play at least 270 minutes that season, while only four of them bettered his 4.2 aerial wins per game.

While De Ligt has not made quite the same use of his physicality at Juve, those strengths could lend themselves to a future in the Premier League, where he is thought to be admired by numerous clubs, with his agent Raiola suggesting on Saturday that the Dutchman may not see out the rest of his contract, which runs to 2024, at Juve.

Raiola's comments came after seeing De Ligt dropped for last week's 2-1 defeat at Napoli and playing in only one of the Netherlands' three recent World Cup qualifiers, with the centre-back yet to truly convince since signing two years ago.

 

The spotlight is very much on Juve's defence ahead of Sunday's clash with Milan, as they have conceded in each of their previous 17 league games, the third-longest run in club history and the worst currently across Europe's top five leagues.

But Allegri appears to retain belief in De Ligt, backing him for a long future at Juve.

"I've already said it before; De Ligt is 22 years old, he's very good, but when you arrive at Juve with an enthusiasm that overwhelms you, it's normal to lose some clarity," the Juventus head coach told reporters when asked about Raiola's comments.

"When he was signed, someone described him as a future Ballon d'Or winner, but it requires tranquillity. He was a 20-year-old boy who arrived at Juventus, a shirt that weighs heavy.

"Chiellini at 20 was like De Ligt, or maybe worse. Then at 28 he became a serious player.

"There is a path for everyone, players and coaches. De Ligt is still a young, good player, who can stay at Juve for many years, regardless of whether he plays one more or one less game."

Related items

  • Nadal suggests French Open farewell after Zverev forces first-round disappointment Nadal suggests French Open farewell after Zverev forces first-round disappointment

    Rafael Nadal says there is a high chance he has appeared at the French Open for the final time after his first-round exit on Monday.

    The Spaniard has won a record 14 titles on the clay courts at the Paris tournament, yet came unstuck in a straight-sets hammering by Alexander Zverev.

    An emotional Court Philippe-Chatrier crowd watched on as Nadal was picked apart by the impressive Zverev, who triumphed 6-3 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 in just over three hours.

    In doing so, Zverev became only the third player to defeat Nadal at Roland-Garros – after Robin Soderling and Novak Djokovic.

    Yet this defeat could mark Nadal's last in the French capital as speculation swirls over the 37-year-old's future with injury issues persisting.

    Nadal said after the loss: "It's incredible. I don't know if it's going to be the last time that I'm going to be here in front of all of you.

    "I am not 100 per cent sure, but if it's the last time, I have enjoyed it. The crowd have been amazing during the whole week of preparation and today.

    "The feelings I have today are difficult to describe in words. For me, it's so special to feel the love of the people in the place that I love the most."

    Nadal has won 112 matches at Roland-Garros, the highest tally in men's singles main draws in the Open Era at a single major event.

    The 22-time major winner adding to that impressive record appears unlikely.

    "I have been going through a very tough two years in terms of injuries," he continued. "I went through all these processes with the dream to be here at Roland Garros.

    "I was competitive, I had my chances, but it was not enough against a great player like Sacha.

    "There's a big percentage that I will not be back here playing at Roland-Garros, but I can say that I've enjoyed playing here a lot.

    "Maybe, in two months, I say it's enough and I can't give anything else, but it's something I don't feel yet.

    "I have some goals. I hope to be back on this court for the Olympics, that motivates me. That's going to be another chance. I really hope to be well-prepared."

  • Zverev sees off Nadal on potential French Open swansong Zverev sees off Nadal on potential French Open swansong

    Rafael Nadal's possible French Open swansong came to an end following a straight-sets defeat by Alexander Zverev.

    The German came out on top 6-3 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 in just over three hours on an emotional Court Philippe-Chatrier.

    It is widely believed this will be the Spaniard's final appearance at Roland Garros, where he has won a record 14 titles, though the 37-year-old acknowledged he is not yet certain on his future.

    The two players were back on Chatrier two years after their notorious semi-final showdown, which was curtailed when Zverev suffering a horrifying ankle injury that ruled him out for the remainder of the season.

    However, fresh from his ATP Masters triumph at the Italian Open, the German was quickly into his stride this time around, winning 12 of his last 13 service points on the way to taking the first set.

    The fourth seed, who has reached three successive French Open semi-finals, then prevailed in a nail-biting second-set tie-break, before a couple of breaks in the third paved the way for him to seal a commanding win.

    Data Debrief: Third time lucky for Zverev

    Whether or not that was Nadal's final match at the French Open remains to be seen.

    What is certain is that his 14 titles are the most by any player in a single tournament in the Open Era, and his 112 match wins are the highest tally in men's singles draws in a single major event.

    Of the 74 different opponents he has faced at Roland Garros, Zverev is only the third to defeat the Spaniard after Robin Soderling and Novak Djokovic.

  • Emery 'excited to continue journey' with Villa after signing new five-year deal Emery 'excited to continue journey' with Villa after signing new five-year deal

    Unai Emery has signed a new five-year deal with Aston Villa after guiding the club into the Champions League last season.

    The Spaniard, whose existing deal still had another three years to run, has put pen to paper on fresh terms that will keep him at Villa Park until 2029.

    Villa were 17th in the Premier League when Emery succeeded Steven Gerrard in November 2022, but he dragged them away from danger to a seventh-place finish.

    The former Sevilla and Paris Saint-Germain head coach then oversaw a memorable 2023-24 season, in which the Villans finished fourth and qualified for Europe's premier club competition for the first time in 41 years.

    Villa also reached the Europa Conference League semi-finals, losing out to Olympiacos, and Emery is thrilled to extend his stay at Villa Park.

    "I am very happy to take this step and the responsibility of leading this club," he said.

    "There’s great chemistry at Aston Villa, and the element of the fans’ support also makes the difference to feel like home. We are really excited to continue this journey with no limits to our dreams."

    "We are building something special here at Aston Villa with Unai at its core, and we are delighted that he has signed a new deal with the club until 2029," chairman Nassef Sawiris added.

    "As we move into our historic, 150th anniversary year, there is a lot to look forward to with Unai at the helm."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.