Inter director Marotta says squad 'will be 90 per cent confirmed for this season'

By Sports Desk July 14, 2021

Inter director Beppe Marotta is bullish about retaining the bulk of the Italian champions' squad for the 2021-22 season, saying "90 per cent will be confirmed".

Title-winning head coach Antonio Conte was replaced by Simone Inzaghi already this off-season, with reports his departure was due to the club's need to cut operating costs.

That situation has also led to questions about Inter's transfer business this off-season and ability to retain their squad, with Achraf Hakimi already being sold to Paris Saint-Germain for €60m while Ashley Young has left for Aston Villa.

“We start from a squad that won the Scudetto and will 90 per cent be confirmed for this season, so that is a very important foundation to build on," Marotta told DAZN.

“We’ll now work to complete the squad in relation to Hakimi’s departure by being creative, as it’s difficult for any club right now to get involved in economically expensive deals.”

Inter have been linked with PSV Eindhoven talent Denzel Dumfries along with Arsenal's Hector Bellerin.

"There are many names, it’s too early to try predicting what will happen now," he said on the speculation.

The Nerazzurri have added Matteo Darmian, Zinho Vanheusden and Hakan Calhanoglu this off-season, with the latter joining as a free agent from rivals Milan.

"It was not an insult towards Milan, he was just a player who was a free agent," Marotta said. "Maybe next time it’ll be Milan who take a player when his contract with Inter expires."

Marotta was pressed on Christian Eriksen after his cardiac arrest at Euro 2020, creating doubts about his club career.

The Inter director said the situation would be analysed as the Danish midfielder recovers.

Related items

  • Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal

    Mohamed Salah has ended speculation over his future by signing a new long-term contract with Liverpool.

    The Egypt forward only had a year remaining on his previous deal with the Reds and could have departed as a free agent after the 2022-23 season.

    Liverpool on Friday revealed Salah has agreed to extend his successful stay at Anfield until 2025.

    The 30-year-old helped the Reds win the FA Cup and EFL Cup last season, while they also reached the Champions League final and finished second in the Premier League.

    He finished level with Son Heung-min as the Premier League's top scorer in the 2021-22 campaign, but his Liverpool future appeared to be in the balance as negotiations over a new deal dragged on.

    Salah's decision to remain on Merseyside is a huge boost for Jurgen Klopp’s side after the departure of Sadio Mane to Bayern Munich.

    He told Liverpool's official website: "I feel great and [I am] excited to win trophies with the club. It’s a happy day for everyone."

    Salah scored 31 goals and provided 15 assists in 51 appearances for the Reds last season.

    He scored 23 of those goals in the top flight as Liverpool pushed Manchester City all the way in the title race, only missing out on the final day when Pep Guardiola's team came from 2-0 down to beat Aston Villa and regain the trophy.

    Salah had been linked with the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, but his stint with Liverpool is far from over, as he prepares for a sixth season with the Reds, having arrived from Roma in 2017.

  • Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax Onana fulfils 'dream' move to Inter after leaving Ajax

    Andre Onana has fulfilled a dream after completing his move to Inter.

    Inter confirmed the signing of the Cameroon international on Friday, the day after his contract with Ajax – where he has spent the past six years – came to an end.

    Last season's Serie A runners-up did not announce the length of Onana's deal, but it is reported to run through until the end of the 2026-27 campaign.

    Onana becomes Inter's fourth signing of the window, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Kristjan Asllani and Romelu Lukaku also arriving, the latter two on loan.

    "Dreams come true," Onana posted on his official Twitter page. "Super excited to join my new club, Inter.

    "I want to thank the president, the whole board of Inter, the coach and my own team for making my dream reality."

    Onana, who served a nine-month suspension last year after taking a banned substance, will provide competition for Samir Handanovic at San Siro.

    He becomes the fourth Cameroonian to play for Inter after Samuel Eto'o, Daniel Maa Boumsong and Pierre Wome, and their first African goalkeeper.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal BREAKING NEWS: Salah signs new long-term Liverpool deal

    Mohamed Salah has ended speculation over his future by signing a new long-term contract with Liverpool.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.