Southgate says player abuse is 'unforgivable' as England boss prepares to take a break

By Sports Desk July 12, 2021

Gareth Southgate wants his England squad to heal together following the pain of losing the Euro 2020 final - and insisted abuse aimed towards any of his players is "unforgiveable".

England's hopes of glory at Wembley on Sunday were dashed by Italy in a penalty shoot-out, during which substitutes Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka failed to convert from the spot.

The trio were targets for racist online abuse in the aftermath to the match. The Football Association condemned such behaviour in a strongly worded statement, as well as calling on both the government and social media companies to take action to stop such incidents continuing to occur.

Speaking the morning after his team's heartbreaking defeat, England boss Southgate made clear his squad had been a "beacon of light" during the European Championship, helping unite the nation during their impressive run.

"I'm not totally across everything, but my first thoughts this morning are with the boys that have done so well for us," he said.

"The players have had such a great togetherness and spirit and brought our country together. They should be, and I think they are, incredibly proud of what they have done.

"For some of them to be abused is unforgivable. Some of it has come from abroad, we have been told this, but some of it is from this country.

"It's not what we stand for. We have been a beacon of light to bring people together and the national team stands for everybody. That togetherness has to continue.

"We felt the energy and positivity from the fans and I'm incredibly proud of that."

Southgate added: "We heal together as a team now, we are there for them [the players who missed penalties] and I know that 99 per cent of the public will be as well, because they will appreciate how well they have played."

 

England seized an early lead thanks to Luke Shaw's first international goal after less than two minutes but were pegged back by Leonardo Bonucci's second-half equaliser, forcing extra time.

Goalkeeper Jordan Pickford saved penalties from Andrea Belotti and Jorginho, yet Saka saw his attempt - England's fifth - turned away by Gianluigi Donnarumma, meaning Italy prevailed 3-2 at the end of an dramatic shoot-out.

While his focus will have to quickly switch to securing qualification for next year's World Cup in Qatar, Southgate admitted he is in need of a break.

Asked about reports he could be offered a new contract, Southgate replied: "I don't think now is an appropriate time to be thinking about it.

"We have to qualify for Qatar. I need time to go away and reflect on Euro 2020. I need a rest.

"Its an amazing experience to lead your country in these tournaments, but it takes a toll. I don't want to commit to anything longer than I should. It's not a financial thing.

"I don't want to outstay my welcome. But, as I sit here today, I would be wanting to take the team to Qatar."

Related items

  • Ashes 2021-22: Starc stunned by Anderson and Broad omissions Ashes 2021-22: Starc stunned by Anderson and Broad omissions

    Mitchell Starc was surprised to see both James Anderson and Stuart Broad left out as England were skittled for 147 on the opening day of the Ashes.

    Starc, whose selection for Australia came under some scrutiny, dismissed Rory Burns with the very first ball of the series at the Gabba on Wednesday, setting the tone for a dismal day for the tourists.

    New captain Pat Cummins took 5-38 as Australia dominated, with bad light and rain preventing the hosts from starting their chase after tea.

    On a green pitch in overcast conditions, Australia's bowling attack thrived, and it seemed the ideal situation in which Broad and Anderson, who have played 315 Tests between them, would have been at their best.

    However, neither bowler was selected in the team for the first Test, so the tourists went into the match without pace bowlers who have collected a combined 1,156 Test wickets.

    "I'm not sure if you told anyone a couple of days ago that was going to happen that they would have believed you," Starc, who finished with figures of 2-35, told reporters.

    "To take 300 Test matches and 1,000 wickets out of their side is pretty interesting.

    "I'm glad I don't have to pick any sides, let alone that one, or tap those two on the shoulder and let them know they're not playing."

    Starc's comments might have rubbed salt into Joe Root's wounds - the England captain having elected to bat after winning the toss.

    Ollie Pope was one of just two batsmen to make it above 30, along with Jos Buttler, and while conceding the odds are already stacked against England, he believes all is not lost.

    "It was a disappointing start especially, so there was frustration that we haven't been able to put on the big score we wanted," Pope told a news conference.

    "The pitch did offer a fair bit early, especially off the seam so we are frustrated as a unit. It's a long tour, a long series and we're going to keep the spirits high and come out fighting tomorrow.

    "Looking at the wicket, it did offer today and wasn't the easiest to score on. You don't know with wickets until both teams have batted on them. I think this pitch gets quicker and keeps carrying.

    "It was quite tacky so it made some dents in the middle of the wicket. It'll be interesting if that opens up. We've definitely got the skill set in our bowlers to drag it back and go big second dig."

  • Ashes 2021-22: England paceman Archer 'almost at the end of the road' with recovery from injury Ashes 2021-22: England paceman Archer 'almost at the end of the road' with recovery from injury

    England fast bowler Jofra Archer has revealed he is "almost at the end of the road" with his recovery from an elbow injury.

    Archer has not played since July and was ruled out of the Ashes series in Australia.

    The paceman was a frustrated spectator as Joe Root's side were skittled out for only 147 on day one of the series at the Gabba.

    But Archer was able to offer some positive news for England fans on a painful day for the tourists.

    "It was a tough one to take seeing the ball bouncing and seaming a little bit [when Australia were ripping through the England batting line-up]," he told Channel 7.

    "This is one tour as a fast bowler that you really don't want to miss.

    "The [scan] results came back yesterday and it was quite promising, actually – everything is moving forward nicely.

    "It is just a matter of waiting a little bit more, being a little bit more patient. I am almost at the end of the road."

  • 'Stop calling Marc' – Overmars signs new Ajax deal 'Stop calling Marc' – Overmars signs new Ajax deal

    Marc Overmars is staying at Ajax after extending his contract with the Eredivisie champions until June 2026.

    Ajax's director of football has been linked with Newcastle United, Barcelona and Arsenal.

    But the former Netherlands winger has ended speculation over his future by putting pen to paper on a new deal with the Amsterdam club, who tweeted "stop calling Marc" when they announced his new deal.

    Overmars, who played for the club between 1992 and 1997 before leaving for Arsenal, said: "I still feel very excited by my work and get a lot of satisfaction out of it.

    "The cooperation with my fellow board members is very good, as well as with the people at the Toekomst [the Ajax sports complex] with whom I work together in the fields of scouting, youth, transfers, and the like.

    "I have a feeling that my work at Ajax is not done yet, so I would like to continue here."

    Ajax president-commissioner Leen Meijaard: "The Supervisory board is very pleased with Marc Overmars as director of football affairs.

    "Of course, the performance of the first team under his leadership is most notable. The team, led by Erik ten Hag [head coach], who was appointed by Marc, is exciting and successful, both nationally and internationally.

    "Furthermore, we also see the good development in other technical football matters. With Marc in the management team, we think that the upward trend that our ambitious club has been on for a few years can be continued."

    Ajax are a point clear of Feyenoord at the top of the Eredivisie and cruised into the last 16 of the Champions League, winning all six Group C matches.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.