Juventus great Giampiero Boniperti dies aged 92

By Sports Desk June 18, 2021

Juventus legend Giampiero Boniperti, the club's honorary president, has died aged 92.

The Bianconeri announced his passing on Friday.

Boniperti represented Juve for 15 years as a player, winning five Scudetti between 1946 and 1961.

He retired having scored 179 goals for the Turin club, a record that stood for almost 40 years before it was passed by Alessandro Del Piero.

Boniperti's 443 Serie A appearances also set a Juve benchmark, again topped by Del Piero.

The club great became Juve president in 1971, overseeing 16 trophy wins, and was later given his honorary title.

"Winning is not important, but it is the only thing that matters," he was famously quoted.

A Juve statement on Friday said: "This is the news we never wanted to give you.

"Today, June 18, 2021, we bid farewell to Giampiero Boniperti, who passed away in Turin at the age of 92.

"This emotion we are all feeling right now will not prevent us from thinking fondly of him, for everything our president was and will always be in Juventus' life. 

"An indelible figure, who, as of today, is handed over to memory, because he has been in the history of football for some time.

"Because when you express a thought, and that thought becomes part of the DNA of the club you have dedicated your life to, it means that your character has become its identity and way of being. Forever."

Related items

  • Bayern Munich and France defender Lucas Hernandez avoids jail time after successful appeal Bayern Munich and France defender Lucas Hernandez avoids jail time after successful appeal

    Bayern Munich and France defender Lucas Hernandez has avoided jail time for disobeying a restraining order in 2017 after a Madrid court accepted his appeal.

    The 25-year-old appeared in court last week and was given until October 28 to voluntarily enter a prison of his choosing, where he faced a six-month sentence.

    However, the latest appeal Hernandez lodged was upheld by the Madrid Provincial High Court on Wednesday.

    Hernandez, a World Cup winner with France in 2018, has instead been handed a suspended sentence of four years and ordered to pay a €96,000 fine.

    "We consider that the appeal must be accepted and that the execution of the sentence of deprivation of liberty imposed on Lucas Francois Bernard Hernandez must be suspended," a statement from the court read.

    The charge relates to a conviction of domestic violence against then girlfriend and now wife Amelia de la Osa Lorente from five and a half years ago.

    He was sentenced to 31 days of community service at the time and barred from approaching or communicating with his partner for the next six months.

    Four months later, Hernandez was arrested at an airport in Madrid in the company of Lorente, whom he had since married. The couple also now have a child together.

    Hernandez was sentenced to six months in prison in 2019 as a result of breaching the order, with his appeal initially rejected due to being a repeat offender, but his latest appeal has been accepted.

    "Regarding his family and social circumstances, it has been highlighted in the appeal that the convicted person lives with Mrs de la Osa and their son, without any new incidents between them being recorded," the court statement added.

  • A-League player Josh Cavallo comes out as only openly gay male top-flight footballer A-League player Josh Cavallo comes out as only openly gay male top-flight footballer

    A-League star Josh Cavallo has come out as gay, making the announcement in a video and open letter on social media.

    The 21-year-old is the only openly gay top-flight male footballer in the world.

    In his video, he said: "There's something personal that I need to share with everyone. I am a footballer and I am gay."

    His open letter stated: "It's been a journey to get to this point in my life, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to come out. I have been fighting my sexuality for six years now and I'm glad I can put that to rest.

    "Growing up, I always felt the need to hide myself because I was ashamed. Ashamed I would never be able to do what I loved and be gay. Hiding who I truly am, to pursue a dream I always wished for as a kid, to play football and be treated equally never felt like a reality."

     

    pic.twitter.com/CwrfpeWRVL

    — Josh Cavallo (@JoshuaCavallo) October 27, 2021

    The conversation around the lack of openly gay male elite footballers has been growing in recent times, and Cavallo is hopeful that his statement will help others to find the courage to follow suit.

    "I want to help change this," he said. "I want to show that everyone is welcome in the game of football and deserves the right to be their authentic self.

    "It is astonishing to know that there are currently no gay professional footballers who are out and actively playing, not only in Australia, but around the world. Hopefully this will change in the near future."

  • Rumour Has It: Pogba halts Man Utd contract talks, Barcelona eye Klopp move Rumour Has It: Pogba halts Man Utd contract talks, Barcelona eye Klopp move

    Any hopes of Paul Pogba remaining at Old Trafford appear to be fading. 

    The Manchester United stalwart has halted contract talks with the club. 

    Multiple European clubs are said to be interested in the 28-year-old. 

     

    TOP STORY – POGBA ENDS MAN UTD TALKS

    Paul Pogba has ended talks over a potential new contract at Manchester United amid an apparent row with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, The Sun reports. 

    The France international will be out of contract in June and appears likely to move on. 

    The Sun reports he apologised to his team-mates but did not speak to Solskjaer after being sent off 15 minutes after coming on as a substitute in Sunday's 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool. 

    His former club Juventus could be an option, while Paris Saint-GermainReal Madrid and Barcelona are also said to have shown interest. 

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona would prefer to have Jurgen Klopp take over whenever they sack Ronald Koeman, says Sport. Klopp is under contract with Liverpool through 2024. 

    - Newcastle United are prepared to offer Alex Ten Hag £6million a year after taxes if he leaves Ajax for St. James' Park, reports the Mail. 

    - Arsenal and Manchester City are interested in Barcelona's Spain international Sergi Roberto, says Fichajes. 

    - Inter have had talks with Sampdoria midfielder Morten Thorsby's agent over a potential move, claims Calciomercato. 

    - River Plate forward Julian Alvarez is drawing interest from Milan, Bayer Leverkusen and Aston Villa, says Calciomercato. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.