Messi has Copa concerns amid 'biggest dream' of Argentina glory

By Sports Desk June 13, 2021

Lionel Messi admitted he is concerned about the coronavirus situation as the superstar captain targets a long-awaited title with Argentina at the Copa America.

Messi's Argentina will open their Copa America campaign against rivals Chile in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Monday.

Brazil is hosting the Copa after CONMEBOL controversially removed Argentina and Colombia as co-hosts due to respective political and COVID-19 issues.

Despite being one of the country's worst hit by the coronavirus health crisis, Brazil was awarded hosting duties for this year's showpiece event, which was already pushed back a year because of COVID-19.

Defending champions Brazil won 3-0 on Sunday against a Venezuela side that had reported 12 positive coronavirus tests amongst their ranks earlier in the week.

Speaking on the eve of Argentina's first match, Messi told reporters: "We are concerned about the situation because it is a risk for all of us to catch COVID-19.

"Although we try to take care of ourselves and do everything they tell us is not easy, because then these things happen and we face other national teams where there is a risk of contagion.

"We will try to do our best so that it does not happen to us, but this does not depend only on us and anything can happen."

Despite his remarkable Barcelona success, Messi is yet to win a senior trophy with Argentina following back-to-back runners-up performances at the Copa America 2015 and 2016, having also fallen short in the 2007 final against Brazil.

La Albiceleste and six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi also lost in the 2014 World Cup decider – beaten by Germany.

"I always said that I am available to try to be with the national team and give my best," the 33-year-old Messi said.

"My biggest dream is to achieve something with the Argentina, I was close many times and unfortunately it was not given to me, but I will try to keep looking for it until it is given to me.

"If the coach who is there thinks that I can continue contributing to the team, I will always want to be there and fight for that dream. I was lucky to win everything with my club and individually, and it would be very nice to win something with the national team."

Messi was directly involved in 50 goals (38 scored, 12 assisted) in 47 games for Barca in 2020-21. Only three players in Europe's top-five leagues managed more.

He has now recorded 25-plus goals in each his past 12 league seasons, while the veteran scored 11 LaLiga goals direct following a ball carry last season – the most of any player in Europe's top-five leagues.

Related items

  • Barcelona sign Christensen on free transfer after leaving Chelsea Barcelona sign Christensen on free transfer after leaving Chelsea

    Barcelona have announced the signing of Andreas Christensen on a free transfer from Chelsea.

    The centre-back has moved to Camp Nou after his contract with Chelsea expired at the end of June.

    Denmark international Christensen has agreed a four-year deal that includes a €500millon buy-out clause. 

    Christensen had been linked with Barca for some time after it began to look likely he would not extend his stay in west London.

    Barca president Joan Laporta confirmed on Saturday that Christensen's deal would be officially completed and announced this week.

    He becomes Barca's second signing of the transfer window, with Franck Kessie's move from Serie A champions Milan – also on a free transfer – having been confirmed earlier on Monday.

    Christensen joined Chelsea from Brondby back in 2012 and made his professional debut two years later, but it was only after a two-year loan spell with Borussia Monchengladbach that his Blues career began to take off.

    He has made 167 appearances for the club in all competitions, including 26 last season, scoring four goals in total.

    A Champions League, Europa League, Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup winner in his Stamford Bridge career, Chelsea won 92 of the matches in which Christensen featured.

    With Christensen and Kessie on board, Barca's focus seems to be on completing a move for Leeds United winger Raphinha.

    Chelsea have reportedly agreed a fee with Leeds for the Brazil international, but Laporta insisted Raphinha has indicated he instead wishes to join Barca, who are hopeful of striking a deal despite their financial issues.

    Barca are also in talks with Ousmane Dembele over a new deal, with the France winger now a free agent, while Manchester United have an interest in Blaugrana midfielder Frenkie de Jong.

  • Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

    He played in 31 of Milan's 38 Serie A matches and scored six goals from midfield, a tally only bettered by Zlatan Ibrahimovic (eight), Rafael Leao and Olivier Giroud (both 11).

    However, fresh terms could not be agreed between the Rossoneri and Kessie, meaning the Ivory Coast international became a free agent on July 1.

    Barca were always considered the strong favourites to land the 25-year-old, whose Camp Nou contract contains a €500million release clause.

     

    Kessie will compete with the likes of Sergio Busquets, Pedri, Gavi and Frenkie de Jong for a midfield spot, though the latter is expected to join Manchester United.

    In all, Kessie played 174 Serie A games for Milan since initially joining from Atalanta in June 2017, with Napoli's Piotr Zielinski (179) the only midfielder to feature more times.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.