Karim said how he felt - Deschamps talks about Benzema's France recall

By Sports Desk May 26, 2021

Didier Deschamps said Karim Benzema is free to open up about the talks that led to his surprise France recall in the future, but the head coach said details of such discussions will not come from him.

Benzema was last week named in France's squad for the delayed European Championship following an absence of nearly six years.

He had been frozen out by Deschamps since 2015 having been embroiled in a blackmail scandal involving international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.

The 33-year-old has denied the claims and is due to stand trial on the charge of complicity in attempted blackmail in October.

His recall followed another hugely impressive season for Madrid in which he scored 30 goals in all competitions, with 23 of those in LaLiga, trailing only Barcelona's Lionel Messi (30).

Reporters quizzing Deschamps on Wednesday were keen to know what he and Benzema discussed prior to the decision to end the former Lyon star's international exile.

But Deschamps would not oblige such requests.

"Karim said how he felt, I said how I felt too," he told a media conference. "I understand you want details, but they won't come from me, not from Karim either, for the moment. 

"If he wants to, he can. My decision comes from the fact that everything went well. 

"I have a group to manage, he was in this group, he is there again, here is the situation."

Deschamps addressed the issue of vaccination, with every adult in France now able to book a slot to receive a COVID-19 vaccine, and the bubble the squad will remain in to reduce the risk of catching the virus.

He said: "I am not a doctor. Today, there is no obligation or recommendation from UEFA. Vaccination remains a personal decision. Some players may have been vaccinated on their own.  

"We made sure to vaccinate all the staff, who are a little older than the players. We are not 100 per cent protected, but we are in a very strict health bubble.

"We will make sure to be as vigilant as possible. From the moment a player is positive, it's over, he's leaving the competition. We all did a test today, everyone is used to it." 

Related items

  • Arsenal land £12m Jorginho from Chelsea after Caicedo blow Arsenal land £12m Jorginho from Chelsea after Caicedo blow

    Arsenal signed Jorginho from London rivals Chelsea in a deadline day deal to bolster their midfield.

    The Gunners agreed a reported £12million fee with the Blues for the 31-year-old midfielder and the Premier League leaders got the deal over the line in time.

    Arsenal, bossed by Mikel Arteta, had been pushing to sign Moises Caicedo from Brighton and Hove Albion but saw a number of bids rejected, with the Seagulls making it clear the Ecuador international would not leave this month.

    The Gunners moved instead to strengthen their squad with a proven performer, swifty completing a deal for Jorginho, whose contract with Chelsea was set to expire at the end of the season.

    Jorginho's arrival comes amid concern for Arsenal midfielder Thomas Partey, who was withdrawn in Friday's FA Cup defeat to Manchester City with an apparent rib injury, while Mohamed Elneny has been sidelined with what Arsenal described as a "significant" knee problem.

    A Champions League winner with Chelsea in 2020-21, Jorginho was also part of the Italy squad that won the Euro 2020 title.

    Arteta said of his new recruit: "Jorginho is a midfield player with intelligence, deep leadership skills and a huge amount of Premier League and international experience. Jorginho has won in his career, but he still has the hunger and huge willingness to contribute here.

    "We are so pleased to sign Jorginho and welcome him and his family to the club."

    Gunners sporting director Edu said on Arsenal's website: "Jorginho is an established professional with a strong mentality who brings quality and experience into our squad.

    "He is a player who fits our style of play, and he joins us at a very good moment where he can contribute in a key position to help maintain our momentum. We welcome Jorginho to Arsenal."

  • PSG made to wait for Skriniar as Inter chief rules out January move PSG made to wait for Skriniar as Inter chief rules out January move

    Paris Saint-Germain will have to wait until June to sign Milan Skriniar after Inter chief executive Beppe Marotta ruled out the move happening before the January transfer window shuts.

    The centre-back revealed on Sunday he was joining the French champions, though it was unclear whether PSG would pay the reported €20million fee Inter wanted for the defender to move this month.

    Skriniar was left out of Inter's squad for Tuesday's Coppa Italia quarter-final against Atalanta but Marotta stated the Slovakia international will stay in Milan for the rest of his contract before joining PSG.

    "There are dynamics whereby players frequently change their shirts," Marotta told Mediaset. "We have to get used to this kind of football.

    "It's not what we like, it's not what the fans like, but we compare ourselves with professionals.

    "Skriniar made a choice that falls within his rights, we have a duty to respect it.

    "We're certain that he will continue to demonstrate the same professionalism and seriousness that he always has in all the months to come before the season is over, and that he's up to the task of continuing to represent this shirt."

  • Grange names new IPL board Grange names new IPL board

    The Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, the Honourable Olivia Grange, has announced the new Board of Directors of Independence Park Limited.

    The Board will be chaired by Dr. the Honourable Michael Fennell with Mr. David Shirley as Deputy Chairman.

    The other members are:  Mrs. Annmarie Heron, Assistant Commissioner of Police Terrence Bent, Lieutenant Colonel Eldon Morgan, Ms. Stefani Dewar, Mr. Lenford Salmon, Mr. Carlton Dennis, Ms. Audrey Chin, Mr. Edward Barnes, Dr. Peter Charles, Ms. Shaneek Clacken and Major Desmon Brown.

    The Board will serve for a period of two years with effect from 16 January 2023. Independence Park Limited operates, promotes, and manages sports facilities including the National Stadium Complex and Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.