Ajax melt Eredivisie trophy to produce 'champion stars' for season ticket holders

By Sports Desk May 12, 2021

When a team wins a league title, the standard procedure is to stick the trophy in the club's museum – but Ajax have taken a slightly different approach this time around.

Ajax claimed their record-extending 35th Eredivisie trophy on May 2 with an emphatic 4-0 win over Emmen, a victory that meant bitter rivals PSV could no longer catch them.

Thousands of Ajax fans defied local coronavirus restrictions to celebrate the success, with police opting against stepping in to avoid violence.

The team and CEO Edwin van der Sar led celebrations on a balcony at the Johan Cruijff ArenA as they showed off the trophy to the baying crowd, with Ajax later insisting this was not pre-planned and was a "spontaneous gesture".

While local politicians criticised Ajax's celebrations, it showed the club's connection to the supporters and they have taken that even further.

Ajax posted a video to Twitter on Wednesday showing how the club had their copy of the trophy melted down to create tiny 'champion stars'.

"Piece of victory, piece of history, piece of Ajax. Literally. For you," the video's caption read.

Van der Sar said in a tweet of his own: "To all season ticket holders: XXXV is for you in a special way. We melted our trophy and created a piece of history!"

Ajax say the melting of the shield led to the production of 42,000 of the stars, with each season ticket holder set to receive their own share of the trophy.

Van der Sar added in a statement: "This season, we have largely had to play without our fans. Well, without them sitting in the stands, at least.

"Despite this, we have felt their support every week. On the way to the stadium, on social media and in our personal contacts.

"Previously, when we said, 'This title is for you', we were expressing how we were doing it for the fans; however, sharing the trophy is the ultimate proof that we really are. After a turbulent year, we are ensuring our fans feel part of our championship."

Fans have been unable to attend Eredivisie matches for most of 2020-21 but were allowed to return in reduced numbers last month.

Related items

  • Neymar to be 'back to his best' in time for World Cup final, says Brazil star's father Neymar to be 'back to his best' in time for World Cup final, says Brazil star's father

    Brazil star Neymar will be "back to his best" in time for the World Cup final, according to his father.

    The Selecao have already qualified for the last 16 and only need a point to win their group after beating Switzerland and Serbia across their first two matches in Qatar.

    However, Neymar suffered an ankle injury during the matchday-one victory over Serbia, ruling him out until the knockouts.

    Brazil remain among the favourites to win the tournament despite Neymar's absence, which has a loose timeline.

    But the forward – who is only two away from matching Pele's record haul of 77 goals for Brazil – will seemingly be back in plenty of time for the World Cup final, assuming Brazil make it that far, his father believes.

     

    Speaking to talkSPORT through an interpreter, Neymar Sr said: "The most important thing is he can come back to the field and be at his best.

    "When he was injured before and he came back again he was at his best. He will do his best.

    "Everyone knows Neymar is very important, a great influence on the field and [on] all his colleagues. When Neymar is on the field it's totally different because he's number one. We know Neymar's importance to the group.

    "I believe Neymar will be in the field again in the final match and he'll do his best to win the World Cup together with his colleagues in the Brazilian team.

    "He'll do his best to help them and together win the competition."

    Brazil face Cameroon in their final group game. They will meet the still undecided Group H runners-up if they do finish top.

    The Selecao are aiming to win the tournament for the first time since 2002.

  • 'I don't disrespect anyone' - Messi defends himself after incurring the wrath of Canelo 'I don't disrespect anyone' - Messi defends himself after incurring the wrath of Canelo

    Lionel Messi says he did not disrespect Mexico during post-match celebrations following Argentina's World Cup victory last week after incurring the wrath of Canelo Alvarez.

    Messi helped Argentina bounce back from a shock opening defeat at the hands of Saudi Arabia in Qatar with a 2-0 win at Lusail Stadium on Saturday.

    Video footage appeared to show Messi catching a Mexico shirt with his foot in the dressing room after that win, prompting a furious response from Canelo, though the boxing superstar later apologised for his comments.

    Messi does not believe he did anything wrong and has nothing to apologise for.

    "It was a misunderstanding," he stated. "Those who know me know that I don't disrespect anyone. These are things that happen in the locker room after the game.

    "I don't have to ask for forgiveness because I didn't disrespect the people of Mexico or the jersey."

    Argentina wrapped up their Group C campaign with a 2-0 victory over Poland, with Mexico crashing out despite a 2-1 win over Saudi Arabia.

    Lionel Scaloni's side will face Australia in the round of 16 on Saturday.

     

     

  • Santos has trust in every Portugal player as he weighs up changes for final group game Santos has trust in every Portugal player as he weighs up changes for final group game

    Fernando Santos has no issues with rotating his squad in Portugal's final Group H match against South Korea.

    Portugal's place in the knockout stage of the World Cup was assured when they beat Uruguay 2-0 on Monday.

    While top spot in the group is not secured ahead of the meeting with Korea at Education City Stadium, Portugal's goal difference (+3) puts them in prime position to go through as winners.

    Santos suggested he will make the changes, but he believes utilising more of his 26-man squad is the only way his team will develop.

    "We must continue to grow. To me the most important thing is the confidence I have in all of my players, I trust all of them," he said at a press conference on Thursday.

    "We have at least three who will definitely play. As for the others, we will have to see.

    "The players are in great shape, but we have begun to see fatigue, which can lead to injuries. We have another player who is somewhat fatigued and we'll have to look into that, but we also have to deal with the bookings we have got. 

    "I'm very confident about who I'll be putting on the pitch. We have to understand for every match we have to make these decisions and I have to play the team I am most confident in regardless of previous results."

     

    Asked if Ronaldo, who thought he had scored a 119th international goal when he tried to nudge home Bruno Fernandes' cross against Uruguay, would feature, Santos replied: "If he is well enough physically, he will be playing.

    "I don't know if the chance is even 50-50, it depends on our training session. It depends if nothing happens and he will be able to play."

    Winning the group would mean Portugal are likely to avoid a last-16 tie with Brazil, who look set to claim first place in Group G.

    Santos is less concerned about the prospect of facing Brazil than he is about having fewer days in-between matches, however, as winning the group would mean Portugal play their last-16 match on Tuesday rather than Monday.

    "At this stage, in terms of not running into Brazil – we're not really concerned about that at this point," Santos explained.

    "When you come to a World Cup you strive to achieve something very important, so it's much more important to have at least 24 hours for the players to recover.

    "I hope they will all be ready to play but if it's difficult to be in the best shape after four days, then after three days it's even more difficult."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.