Conte refuses to discuss Inter future, insists he respects incoming Roma rival Mourinho

By Sports Desk May 04, 2021

Inter head coach Antonio Conte welcomed the news of Jose Mourinho's Roma appointment and deflected questions about his own future.

Former Chelsea boss Conte clashed publicly with Mourinho during the pair's time in England, when the latter led Premier League rivals Manchester United.

At one stage Mourinho referred to Conte as a "clown", while the latter called the Portuguese a "little man".

However, Conte insisted he fully respected ex-Inter coach Mourinho, who will replace Paulo Fonseca at Serie A rivals Roma from next season.

"It's great news for everybody, I wish him the best, except when he plays against Inter," Conte told Le Iene.

"For sure, there is great respect between us."

Conte's own future has been the subject of speculation, despite leading Inter to their first Scudetto since Mourinho's treble-winning campaign in 2009-10.

The former Italy and Juventus coach's contract expires in 2022 but his position is uncertain amid doubts over Inter's financial situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

"Let's enjoy this moment, there will be time to talk together, with the president [Steven Zhang] and the directors, to choose the best path for Inter," he said.

Conte earned his fourth Serie A title this season – only five other coaches in league history have managed at least four.

The 51-year-old is only the second coach in Serie A history to win a Scudetto with both Inter and Juve, joining Giovanni Trapattoni.

Related items

  • Pulisic fit to start for United States in Netherlands clash Pulisic fit to start for United States in Netherlands clash

    Christian Pulisic was named in the United States' starting XI for their World Cup round of 16 tie with the Netherlands.

    Pulisic scored the USA's winner against Iran on Tuesday, securing their place in the knockout stage, but was sent to hospital for scans on an abdominal injury.

    On Friday, it was confirmed Pulisic had been cleared to play a part against Louis van Gaal's team at Khalifa International Stadium, and Gregg Berhalter did not hesitate in throwing the Chelsea attacker back in from the off.

    Pulisic has been directly involved in six goals in his past nine appearances for the USA, with four goals and two assists, having a hand in both of their goals so far in the World Cup. 

    Josh Sargent, however, did not make the squad due to an ankle problem, with Jesus Ferreira coming in for his first appearance of the tournament.

    The 21-year-old scored 18 goals in 35 MLS appearances for FC Dallas this past season.

    At 25 years, 84 days, the USA's starting team is the youngest in a World Cup knockout match since Slovakia (24 years, 239 days), also against the Netherlands in 2010.

    Van Gaal, meanwhile, stuck with the same team that started in the 2-0 victory over hosts Qatar last time out.

    That means the in-form Cody Gakpo partners Memphis Depay in a front two – the PSV forward could become the first Netherlands player to score in each of his first four World Cup appearances, with Christian Vieri the last European player to do so in 1998. 

  • Foden disappointed with lack of World Cup starts but hopes to be unleashed on Senegal Foden disappointed with lack of World Cup starts but hopes to be unleashed on Senegal

    Phil Foden is "disappointed" not to have made more starts in an "up and down" World Cup for the England attacking midfielder and hopes to play a big part against Senegal.

    Foden made his first start of the tournament in a 3-0 win over Wales on Tuesday that sealed the Three Lions' place in the round of 16.

    Gareth Southgate is facing a tough selection for the showdown with the Africa Cup of Nations champions at Al Bayt Stadium on Sunday, with Foden waiting to discover if he will keep his place in the team.

    It has been a mixed World Cup for the Manchester City star, who hopes the best is yet to come

    "It has been up and down," he told BBC TV. "[I am] disappointed not to start more games, but it is part of the tournament. I am a team player and when I get the opportunities I'll take them."

    Foden added: "I had seen a lot of media attention towards me to start, it is hard to get away from that.

    "There is a lot [of competition]. [Bukayo] Saka has done well and scored in the first game, [Marcus] Rashford has scored and did very well against Wales.

    "Everyone is scoring and everyone has proved a point, so it will be a headache for Gareth to pick the team for the next game.

    "[Scoring against Wales was] definitely up there for one of the best feelings in my career so far, a special moment.

    "I think I have every chance to start the next match. I played well against Wales, but we will have to see what happens."

  • Brazil pair Jesus and Telles ruled out of remainder of World Cup Brazil pair Jesus and Telles ruled out of remainder of World Cup

    Gabriel Jesus and Alex Telles will not recover from knee injuries in time to play again at the 2022 World Cup, Brazil confirmed on Saturday.

    The pair had each been substituted in Friday's defeat to Cameroon, with team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar confirming afterwards they would have scans the following day.

    Brazil have already been playing without Neymar, Danilo and Alex Sandro due to injuries, and their latest two setbacks are significant.

    Reports in Brazil on Saturday had suggested Jesus would miss a month and Telles was potentially facing surgery, also representing blows to Arsenal and Sevilla.

    A statement from the CBF subsequently confirmed neither would feature for the remainder of the World Cup.

    "As announced by the CBF after the game against Cameroon, players Alex Telles and Gabriel Jesus underwent tests this Saturday morning," the statement read.

    "Accompanied by the doctor of the Brazilian team, Rodrigo Lasmar, they performed an MRI on the right knee that confirmed the injuries and the impossibility of recovery in time to participate in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.

    "The coordinator of the Brazilian national team, Juninho Paulista, is in contact with the sports directors of Arsenal and Sevilla to define whether Alex Telles and Gabriel Jesus remain with the squad in Doha for continuity of treatment or if they return to their clubs."

    While Jesus was set to play only as Richarlison's back-up in the knockout stage, Telles could have been in line for a prominent role.

    Alex Sandro is the only other natural left-back in the squad and is uncertain to return in time for the last-16 match against South Korea.

    Brazil are at least more optimistic on the status of versatile right-back Danilo, who was set to return to full training on Saturday.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.