Dortmund have 'no alternative' to Haaland, would listen to 'exceptional' Sancho offer – Watzke

By Sports Desk April 05, 2021

Borussia Dortmund do not have an "alternative plan" should Erling Haaland leave the club, but they would listen to an "exceptional" offer for Jadon Sancho, according to managing director Hans-Joachim Watzke.

Norway international Haaland is in high demand after netting 49 goals in 50 appearances for Dortmund, attracting interest from the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester City and Manchester United.

He has scored 21 goals in 22 Bundesliga games this term, adding another 10 from six games in the Champions League, a competition in which he tops the scoring charts.

Haaland's agent, Mino Raiola, is reported to have been in contact with a number of clubs as speculation over the 20-year-old's future grows.

But, according to Watzke, the Bundesliga outfit are not prepared to envisage life without him.

"We do not have a parallel plan," he told Goal. "We will discuss this in peace with Erling, his father and his advisor Mino Raiola. 

"We also want him to be happy to stay with us, to score goals for BVB next year with conviction. There is no alternative plan."

Another player heavily linked with a move away from the club is England international Sancho. 

Manchester United were reported to be close to a deal for the 21-year-old before the start of the 2020-21 season, but Sancho stayed in Germany. 

He has played 31 games across all competitions this term, scoring 12 goals. 

While Watzke expects a quiet off-season following the turmoil inflicted by the coronavirus pandemic, he said the club would not dismiss a significant bid for Sancho.  

Asked what the likelihood of Haaland and Sancho both playing for Dortmund next season is, Watzke responded: "I'm not getting involved in probabilities, it's no good. 

"Jadon Sancho has been with us much longer than Erling Haaland. We'll have to speak to Jadon, too. If there is an exceptional offer, we will discuss it with the player and the agent, as always. 

"Nonetheless, I am very sure that the transfer market will only run to a very limited extent this summer. Especially with the really big clubs, you can see what kind of wounds coronavirus has inflicted. They are not small ones that heal within two weeks."

Dortmund travel to Manchester City for the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final clash on Tuesday.

Related items

  • Barcelona sign Christensen on free transfer after leaving Chelsea Barcelona sign Christensen on free transfer after leaving Chelsea

    Barcelona have announced the signing of Andreas Christensen on a free transfer from Chelsea.

    The centre-back has moved to Camp Nou after his contract with Chelsea expired at the end of June.

    Denmark international Christensen has agreed a four-year deal that includes a €500millon buy-out clause. 

    Christensen had been linked with Barca for some time after it began to look likely he would not extend his stay in west London.

    Barca president Joan Laporta confirmed on Saturday that Christensen's deal would be officially completed and announced this week.

    He becomes Barca's second signing of the transfer window, with Franck Kessie's move from Serie A champions Milan – also on a free transfer – having been confirmed earlier on Monday.

    Christensen joined Chelsea from Brondby back in 2012 and made his professional debut two years later, but it was only after a two-year loan spell with Borussia Monchengladbach that his Blues career began to take off.

    He has made 167 appearances for the club in all competitions, including 26 last season, scoring four goals in total.

    A Champions League, Europa League, Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup winner in his Stamford Bridge career, Chelsea won 92 of the matches in which Christensen featured.

    With Christensen and Kessie on board, Barca's focus seems to be on completing a move for Leeds United winger Raphinha.

    Chelsea have reportedly agreed a fee with Leeds for the Brazil international, but Laporta insisted Raphinha has indicated he instead wishes to join Barca, who are hopeful of striking a deal despite their financial issues.

    Barca are also in talks with Ousmane Dembele over a new deal, with the France winger now a free agent, while Manchester United have an interest in Blaugrana midfielder Frenkie de Jong.

  • Moutinho commits to Wolves with new one-year deal Moutinho commits to Wolves with new one-year deal

    Joao Moutinho has signed a new deal to stay on as a Wolves player for the 2022-23 campaign.

    The Portugal international had become a free agent on July 1 when his previous contract at Molineux expired.

    He had been tipped to join a new club, but Wolves confirmed on their official website on Monday that the 35-year-old has agreed a new one-year deal.

    Talks over fresh terms had dragged on as Moutinho was reportedly holding out for a two-year extension, but Wolves director Scott Sellars is pleased an agreement was reached.

    "In Joao's time at the club, he's been vital, bringing real experience and quality to the group, so to get him re-signed is a massive boost for us," Sellars said.

    "With contracts, it's about getting to a place where everybody's happy, the club and the player, and it isn't always easy.

    "But in the end what matters is the outcome and we're very happy with it.

    "He's a huge influence in the dressing room, with the younger players, and sets standards that they follow."

    Moutinho is heading into his fifth season as a Wolves player and has already chalked up 176 appearances for the Premier League side, 39 of those coming last season.

  • Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

    He played in 31 of Milan's 38 Serie A matches and scored six goals from midfield, a tally only bettered by Zlatan Ibrahimovic (eight), Rafael Leao and Olivier Giroud (both 11).

    However, fresh terms could not be agreed between the Rossoneri and Kessie, meaning the Ivory Coast international became a free agent on July 1.

    Barca were always considered the strong favourites to land the 25-year-old, whose Camp Nou contract contains a €500million release clause.

     

    Kessie will compete with the likes of Sergio Busquets, Pedri, Gavi and Frenkie de Jong for a midfield spot, though the latter is expected to join Manchester United.

    In all, Kessie played 174 Serie A games for Milan since initially joining from Atalanta in June 2017, with Napoli's Piotr Zielinski (179) the only midfielder to feature more times.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.