Inter hit back at 'offensive and disrespectful' comments by mayor of Milan

By Sports Desk March 18, 2021

Inter have hit out at the mayor of Milan, Giuseppe Sala, describing his comments about the club's stadium project as "offensive and disrespectful".

The Nerazzurri, along with city rivals Milan, have plans in place to build a state-of-the-art stadium to replace San Siro and renovate the surrounding area.

But speaking on Thursday, Sala revealed the project is on hold until Inter's ownership situation becomes clearer.

Current owners Suning, who acquired the club in 2016, are reported to be looking to find a buyer amid financial uncertainty.

"I think that until Inter clarifies its fate, things must necessarily be at a standstill for us," Sala said.

"The point is, and I want to say clearly to the people in Milan, that we are not just talking about the stadium, but a project in which half the investment is on the stadium and half on other things that make up the future of that area.

"It will mean that there will be, I assume, five or six years of work. I cannot entrust a district of the city for such a long period to a reality whose future ownership is not certain.

"I speak with respect of [Inter president Steven] Zhang, but they must necessarily clarify the future of the club, until then I think it's logical to stop."

However, Inter released a statement on their official website later on Thursday that was a rebuke to Sala's comments.

"FC Internazionale Milano has a glorious ultra-centenary history," the statement read. "It existed before Mayor Sala and will continue to exist when his mandate ends.

"We find the comments from the mayor of Milan offensive towards the owners, disrespectful towards the history and reality of the club and its millions of fans in Milan and all over the world, not to mention irrelevant with respect to the current administrative process on the new stadium for Milan project.

"If it is confirmed that Inter and the owners are not appreciated by the current administration, we will know how to take the consequent decisions."

Related items

  • 'A no-brainer!' – Rangers captain Tavernier signs new contract 'A no-brainer!' – Rangers captain Tavernier signs new contract

    Rangers captain James Tavernier has reaffirmed his commitment to the Scottish Premiership giants by signing a new long-term deal.

    The 30-year-old is into his eighth season at Ibrox and has been a regular in each of those, during which time he has helped Rangers win four trophies.

    Tavernier, the last remaining player from Rangers' time in the lower divisions of Scottish football, was only under contract until the end of next season.

    However, Rangers announced on Wednesday that the right-back has agreed fresh terms on a deal that will take him to a decade in Glasgow.

    "I just want to spend more years here and have that security," Tavernier, who has made 353 appearances for Rangers, told the club's official website.

    "It is such a great place to play football and I can't wait to see what the coming years have to bring.

    "I am settled here, my family are settled here, so it was a no-brainer to get the contact extension over the line."

    Tavernier skippered Rangers to the Scottish Premiership title two seasons ago and led the team in last season's Europa League final defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt.

    He previously represented the likes of Newcastle United, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham United, Wigan Athletic and Bristol City.

  • Nianzou joins Sevilla from Bayern Munich Nianzou joins Sevilla from Bayern Munich

    Sevilla have completed the signing of defender Tanguy Nianzou from Bayern Munich for a reported fee of €20million.

    Nianzou has signed a five-year deal with the Andalusian side.

    The 20-year-old came through the youth setup at Paris Saint-Germain before moving to Bayern in July 2020.

    He made 28 appearances in all competitions for the Bundesliga giants across two seasons, scoring his only goal for the club in a 4-0 win against Union Berlin in March.

    Nianzou is the fourth arrival of the transfer window for Sevilla, joining Marcao, Isco and Alex Telles as head coach Julen Lopetegui looks to mount a challenge in LaLiga and the Champions League.

    He could make his debut in Friday's LaLiga clash with Real Valladolid. 

  • Werner 'lost a bit of the fun' under Tuchel at Chelsea Werner 'lost a bit of the fun' under Tuchel at Chelsea

    Timo Werner "lost a bit of the fun" playing under Thomas Tuchel at Chelsea after losing his place in the side ahead of returning to RB Leipzig.

    Germany international Werner sealed a permanent move back to Leipzig last week, just two years on from joining Chelsea in a £47.5million (€50m) deal.

    Werner struggled to live up his price tag at Stamford Bridge as he scored just 10 Premier League goals in 56 appearances, and 23 goals in 89 games overall.

    The 26-year-old found playing time hard to come by in the 2021-22 campaign, starting just 15 out of a possible 38 league matches – only the 15th most of all Chelsea players.

    After bringing an end to his Stamford Bridge stay, Werner has explained he opted for a return to Leipzig as he wants to play regularly again with an eye on Qatar 2022.

    "For me, having fun playing football is the most important thing," Werner, who won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2021, told the Einfach mal Luppen podcast. 

    "I was very successful at Chelsea, but in the end I lost a bit of the fun because I didn't play regularly any more.

    "I think the coach's game system didn't suit me perfectly. So it was clear to me that I wanted to take a new step. I'm at an age where I want to play as much as I can."

    As well as playing a part in last year's Champions League triumph, Werner also won the European Super Cup and Club World Cup with Chelsea.

    Werner was spotted in the Stamford Bridge stands during Sunday's 2-2 draw with Tottenham and says he will forever be connected to the west London side.

    "I really associate Chelsea with great successes – the greatest of my career," he said. "It'll always be a special club for me. I'll stay in contact with many players from the team."

     

    Werner contributed to 40 goals in 89 appearances for Chelsea, which was bettered only by Mason Mount (46 goal involvements in 108 games) during his time at the club.

    The ex-Stuttgart star netted just 36 minutes into his second debut for Leipzig in last week's meeting with Koln, scoring from his only attempt, yet it was only enough for a 2-2 draw.

    "I would have liked a win to start," Werner said. "Still, I can't complain because the team have welcomed me back and I was involved right away.

    "We have a great squad here and, if we improve further, we can achieve a lot with this team in terms of trophies."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.