Lazio v Torino abandoned as visitors stay away after COVID-19 positives

By Sports Desk March 02, 2021

Lazio turned up for a Serie A clash with Torino on Tuesday, but their opponents stayed away in a move that looks set to trigger a fresh dispute over how Italian football is handling the coronavirus crisis.

The Stadio Olimpico fixture had an early evening kick-off, scheduled for 18:30 local time, and home side Lazio duly arrived, with coach Simone Inzaghi announcing a team for the game.

That was already in the knowledge, however, that Torino would not be present to provide the opposition, having stayed in Turin on the advice of their local health authority after a COVID-19 outbreak.

Torino's home match against Sassuolo, due to take place last Friday, was postponed because of those cases becoming apparent.

However, Lega Serie A decided the Lazio game should go ahead, despite Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina declaring it was an "objective impossibility" to get the match on.

Gravina, quoted in La Gazzetta dello Sport, said he understood Torino's situation to be "a full-blown force majeure" and not a spur-of-the-moment decision not to travel to Rome for the game. League chiefs, however, were not as obviously sympathetic.

A string of training sessions were postponed by Torino last week. At around the time Lazio published their team sheet for Tuesday's game, Torino posted a training update, saying players had been working individually because of the restrictions imposed by local authorities.

The Corriere dello Sport newspaper said referee Marco Piccinini declared the game abandoned at 19:15 in Rome, adding that two Lazio players were called for routine doping tests despite the fixture not being played.

It remains to be seen what steps Lega Serie A takes next, but there has been a precedent of sorts this season, when Napoli were barred from travelling to Turin to face Juventus in October.

League chiefs had turned down a request to call off the game and awarded a 3-0 victory to Juventus, also docking Napoli one point. However, the Naples side appealed to the Italian Olympic Committee's Collegio di Garanzia dello Sport - the highest sporting court in the land - and overturned the Lega Serie A decision. That game will be replayed, with March 17 reportedly a possible date.

Lazio sporting director Igli Tare told Sky Sport Italia ahead of Tuesday's intended kick-off time: "I could say many things, but I keep them to myself.

"We respected the rules and we came to the stadium. Now we will wait 45 minutes, then we will leave everything in the hands of the competent bodies.

"Would I have preferred to play? Absolutely yes."

Tare said it was not important whether he understood Torino's point of view.

"I just have to respect the rules of the Lega," he said. "We know how things stand. We are here and this is the only thing that matters."

Related items

  • Darmian signs new Inter contract Darmian signs new Inter contract

    Matteo Darmian has signed a new contract with Inter until 2024.

    The full-back was due to see his previous deal expire at the end of the season, although it was widely expected fresh terms would be agreed.

    Inter announced the news on Thursday, less than 48 hours after Darmian scored the winning goal in the Coppa Italia quarter-final against Atalanta.

    "Hi Inter fans. I'm delighted to keep on wearing these colours. See you at the stadium," Darmian said in a video posted on social media.

    Darmian joined Inter in 2020 from Manchester United, initially on loan before making a permanent move the following year.

    He was part of the Serie A winning side in his first year at the club and lifted the Coppa Italia last season, as well as the Supercoppa Italiana – a trophy Inter retained last month by beating rivals Milan.

  • Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships

    Head coach Merron Gordon and his staff have selected the 20-man squad which will represent Jamaica at the Concacaf U17 Men’s Championship in Guatemala from February 11-26.

    He also named four reserves who will continue to train with the team as changes can be made in case of injury, as late as match day minus one.

    Gordon’s assistant coaches will be Andrew Peart and Vassel Reynolds while Andrew Sewell will serve as goalkeeping coach.

    The rest of the staff reads: Ronald Watson (Kit Man), Wendell Downswell (Technical Director), Lamar Morgan (Physical Trainer), Dr. Edmund Regis (Team Doctor), Remawn Thomas (Team Manager), Alvin Green (Masseur), Tajay Bailey (Physiotherapist), Baron Watson (HOD).

    The delegation departs on February 9.

    The squad is as follows: Taywayne Lynch (Mount Pleasant Academy), Joshua Grant (Inter Miami FC), Ahir Dixon (Mount Pleasant Academy), Alexavier Gooden (Cavalier SC), Malik Robinson (Unattached), Nashon Bolt (Unattached), Ronaldo Barrett (Cavalier SC), Adrian Reid (Cavalier SC), Malachi Molina (FC Dallas Academy), Brandon Bent (Inter Miami FC Academy), Ja-son White (Unattached), Jordan Mantagal (South Florida Academy), Everald Swaby (Unattached), Jahmani Bell (Phoenix Academy), Dusting Cohen (Vere United FC), Orane Watson (Harbour View FC), Nicholas Simmonds (Richmond United Academy), Adrian Mahoney (Toronto FC Academy), Ashton Gordon (Atlanta United Academy), Dyllan John (Phoenix Academy).

    Reserves: Odane Wilberforce (Mount Pleasant Academy), Samir Bloise (FC Prime), Ryan Heron (Orlando City FC), Che-Daniel Gardner (Unattached).

  • Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped

    Criminal proceedings against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been discontinued, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has announced.

    The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 and was due to stand trial in November on accusations of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.

    However, the CPS confirmed on Thursday that all charges have been dropped.

    A statement read: "Mason Greenwood was charged in October 2022 with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

    "A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code of Crown Prosecutors."

    A CPS spokesperson said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

    "In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

    "We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met."

    Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, Greater Manchester Police's Head of Public Protection, said: "Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

    "The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

    "Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail."

    Greenwood last played for United on January 22 last year in a 1-0 victory against West Ham before being suspended by the club.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.