Koeman forced to do some forward thinking as 'important' Coutinho faces three months out

By Sports Desk January 02, 2021

Ronald Koeman expects to be without Philippe Coutinho for at least three months following surgery to repair a knee injury.

Coutinho suffered damage to the external meniscus of his left knee after coming on as a second-half substitute in Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Eibar on Tuesday at Camp Nou. 

The Brazil international was told he required an operation following further assessment and, while the club has yet to offer a timetable for his return, Koeman has confirmed it will be a lengthy absence. 

Speaking ahead of Saturday's LaLiga fixture away to Huesca, the Barca boss admitted it is a blow to lose another forward option, considering he is also without the services of Ansu Fati. 

"It's unlucky because we have so many important players out injured and Philippe will be about three months out," Koeman told the media.  

"He always has been an important player and he will be important, but now he has to recover, and I don't know when he will be 100 per cent fit.  

"An important absence. Up front, we are having some problems, of course, and I will have to see how we can solve Philippe's absence." 

Coutinho's injury will increase speculation over Barca making a move for long-time target Memphis Depay in the January transfer window. 

The Netherlands international is in the final year of his contract at Lyon and media reports in both France and Spain have suggested he could be available at a greatly reduced price, considering he can leave for free at the end of the 2020-21 season.

In the short term, Koeman will at least have Lionel Messi back for the game with Huesca, as Barcelona aim to avoid losing three successive games against newly promoted sides in the top flight for the first time in their history.

The Blaugrana were beaten by Osasuna in July towards the end of the previous season, then humbled by top-flight new boys Cadiz last month.

Related items

  • Mourinho ponders 'what next' after Conference League success Mourinho ponders 'what next' after Conference League success

    Jose Mourinho has already turned his attention to his next challenge as he looks to build on Roma's Europa Conference League win.

    A first-half strike from Nicolo Zaniolo on Wednesday secured a 1-0 final win over Feyenoord to give the Giallorossi secured their first UEFA trophy and first title in any competition since the Coppa Italia in 2008.

    Mourinho became the second coach to win five major European titles after Giovanni Trapattoni; the Portuguese coach added to his two crowns in both the Champions League and Europa League/UEFA Cup.

    Roma had already secured Europa League football for next season by finishing sixth in Serie A, seven points behind a place in the top four for Champions League qualification.

    Mourinho will lead them into that competition, having asserted his desire to stay, but he is quickly focusing on "what next" in the Eternal City.

    "Memories stay forever and history can't be deleted," Mourinho posted on Instagram. "For me these were incredible, unforgettable emotions, but I need to think 'what next'...

    "Before that, I need to hug everyone. I need to tell the world my gratitude to my PLAYERS: every one of them, from Rui [Patricio] who played 54 matches to Pietro [Boer] who didn't play one single minute.

    "But in this team everyone played every minute of every game, that is what the Einsteins of football don't know, don't understand, and I feel sorry for them.

    "Football is what you see and what you can't see, football is not played by 11, it is played by many more, and we were so many… Players, coaches, medical staff, analysts, kitmen, kitchen people, families, friends, Romanisti, Mourinhisti, and I am so grateful to everyone.

    "One day I will leave Roma and AS Roma, that's the law of football, but more than one or more cups I would love to see this club forever and ever united by this passion and love.

    "Two pictures to hug you all. Have a great June."

  • 'I wanted to play them' – Aubameyang 'sad' after Arsenal miss out on Champions League spot 'I wanted to play them' – Aubameyang 'sad' after Arsenal miss out on Champions League spot

    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang says he was disappointed with Arsenal's failure to qualify for the Champions League, as he had hoped to face his former club with Barcelona.

    Despite enjoying an encouraging campaign under Mikel Arteta, Arsenal missed out on a top-four finish to fierce rivals Tottenham after losing two of their final three games of the Premier League season.

    Their late-season collapse meant Arsenal have not finished in the Premier League's top four since Arsene Wenger's Gunners finished second to Leicester City in the 2015-16 campaign.

    Aubameyang, meanwhile, departed the Emirates Stadium in January after four years at the club, scoring 13 goals in all competitions for Xavi's Barcelona as the Blaugrana secured second in LaLiga.

    That return made the Gabon forward Barca's joint-top goalscorer for the campaign along with Memphis Depay, despite him making just 23 appearances since his arrival at Camp Nou.

    Speaking to Sky Sports while attending the Monaco Grand Prix, the 32-year-old admitted he was sad to see his former club miss out on a place in European football's premier competition, but hopes they can impress upon their return to the Europa League. 

    "Yeah, [they came] really close. I think they did a lot of improvements," Aubameyang said.

    "I'm a bit sad because I wanted to play them in the Champions League. I have a lot of friends over there, but I'm wishing them all the best for next season.

    "Obviously, I think it's going to be a good thing for them to get back to the Europa League as well, hopefully they can win it."

  • Grim ending to first full season, but Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney 'will be back' for Wrexham sequel Grim ending to first full season, but Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney 'will be back' for Wrexham sequel

    Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney will be back at Wrexham next season despite the Red Dragons failing to reach the promised land of the English Football League.

    That assurance came on Saturday evening from Humphrey Ker, the British comedy actor and writer who first brought the club to the attention of the Hollywood duo.

    Wrexham suffered a harrowing 5-4 defeat to Grimsby Town after extra time in the National League play-off semi-finals, with Reynolds and McElhenney both at the Racecourse Ground to witness the disappointing reverse.

    Ker got to know It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia star McElhenney when he joined his production company, and talks between the duo during the first COVID-19 lockdown led to the idea of becoming involved with a team, with McElhenney said to have become hooked on the Netflix documentary Sunderland 'Til I Die.

    Deadpool superstar Reynolds was then brought on board and Wrexham were taken over, with the view to making a documentary series about the club, set to be titled Welcome to Wrexham.

    But there was a sour twist at the end of the stars' first full season as Wrexham owners, as Grimsby's Luke Waterfall scored his second goal of the game in the 119th minute to give the Mariners victory after extra time, earning them a place in the play-off final at the London Stadium on June 5.

    Adding to the cruel narrative was the fact Waterfall is a former Wrexham player.

    Ker, executive director of the club, wrote on Twitter: "Thank you to all the players, staff and fans of @Wrexham_AFC for a very special first full season. We will be back, we will be stronger, and we will be honoured to do it for the people of this great town."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.