Bielsa left wanting more despite Uruguay's winning start at Copa America

By Sports Desk June 24, 2024

Marcelo Bielsa insists there is room for improvement for Uruguay, despite kicking off their Copa America campaign with a 3-1 win over Panama in Florida. 

Uruguay's win saw them move level on points with hosts the United States following their victory over Bolivia in the other Group C encounter. 

The 15-time winners were rewarded for their fast start when Maximilian Araujo curled home his first international goal in the 16th minute. 

However, Panama would grow into the contest as Jose Fajardo and Jose Rodriguez squandered golden opportunities for Thomas Christiansen's side. 

And their wastefulness was punished late on as Darwin Nunez, who had missed several chances in the game, settled Uruguay's nerves with a calm finish. 

Matias Vina furthered La Celeste's advantage in the first minute of injury-time with a header, only for Michael Amir Murillo to net a late consolation for Panama. 

However, Bielsa was quick to temper expectations despite the triumph, insisting his side must improve to secure a record 16th Copa America crown. 

The 68-year-old took charge of Uruguay in May last year, beating both Argentina and Brazil in World Cup qualifiers. 

"When it comes to Uruguay's aspirations, we will see that and build it match by match," he told reporters.

"My expectation is that each match will increasingly help us to improve on our level. Uruguay has players of a very good level and we need to see if I can build with those players."

Uruguay continue their group campaign against Bolivia in New Jersey on Thursday, before facing the USA at the Arrowhead Stadium next Tuesday. 

Related items

  • Manchester United bring in Dutch striker Zirkzee Manchester United bring in Dutch striker Zirkzee

    Manchester United have completed the signing of Joshua Zirkzee from Bologna for £35million (€42.5m).

    The Netherlands international, who was part of the side that reached the Euro 2024 semi-finals, has put pen to paper on a five-year deal at Old Trafford, with the option for a further year.

    Zirkzee is United's first major signing of the transfer window, as Erik ten Hag looks to improve on the Red Devils' disappointing eighth-place finish in the Premier League last season.

    The 23-year-old scored 11 Serie A goals last term as Bologna secured Champions League qualification for the first time in their history.

    Zirkzee told United's official website: "Having had discussions with the manager and the leaders of the club I know how exciting the future is going to be here and I cannot wait to play my part in achieving success for Manchester United.

    "I am a player who has always dedicated everything to winning; I’m ready for this next challenge, to go to another level in my career and win more trophies.

    "It is a privilege to join such an iconic club. I have to take a short break now after being with the national team, but I’ll be coming back ready to make an impact straight away."

    United sporting director Dan Ashworth believes the addition of Zirkzee, who outperformed his league expected goals (xG) of 9.0 by two goals last season, represents a major positive for the club.

    "Securing a forward to enhance our already strong group of attacking players was a key aim for this summer," Ashworth said.

    "We are delighted that we’ve managed to sign a player of Joshua’s calibre this early in the transfer window.

    "Joshua is an outstanding talent who is ready to make an impact for Manchester United. His ability and desire to grow into a world-class player means that he will be a great addition to the squad that we are building for the exciting season ahead and beyond."

    United are also interested in bringing Zirkzee's Netherlands team-mate Matthijs de Ligt, with the defender reportedly keen to leave Bayern Munich.

    Everton, meanwhile, have rejected two offers from United for centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite.

  • Southampton bolster defence with Sugawara signing Southampton bolster defence with Sugawara signing

    Southampton have announced the signing of Yukinari Sugawara from AZ.

    The right-back has signed a four-year contract after joining the club for a reported £6million fee.

    Sugawara initially joined AZ on loan in 2019, before making the move permanent the following season.

    In five years at the Dutch club, the Japan international made 198 appearances in all competitions, including a club-record 53 in Europe.

    Speaking to the club's media channels, he said: "To come to Southampton and to play in the Premier League is one of my biggest dreams since I was young, so I am really excited to be here.

    "I felt Southampton is a really good club. When Southampton gave me an offer, I said yes after one second!"

    Sugawara is the sixth addition to Southampton's squad in this transfer window following their return to the Premier League.

  • Malacia returns to individual training at Manchester United Malacia returns to individual training at Manchester United

    Manchester United have confirmed that defender Tyrell Malacia has stepped his fitness programme ahead of the 2024-25 Premier League season. 

    Malacia did not feature for Erik ten Hag's side last term due to injury, as the Red Devils won the FA Cup for 13th time against rivals Manchester City. 

    The Dutch defender arrived from Feyenoord for £15million in 2022, making 39 appearances in all competitions in a promising debut season at Old Trafford. 

    However, Malacia struggled with a knee meniscus injury towards the end of the 2022-23 campaign, requiring two surgeries, that latter coming in November last year. 

    That meant he had to restart his recovery, with the club announcing that the left-back had suffered a setback in his rehabilitation in December. 

    But the 22-year-old has been pictured at Carrington, doing individual work as he aims to be fit for the start of ten Hag's third season at the helm.

    Malacia last appearance came for the Netherlands against Croatia in the Nations League semi-final in June 2023. 

    Ten Hag will be hopeful to have the Dutch defender available for the new season, having spent much of last campaign without first choice left-back, Luke Shaw. 

    Shaw made just 12 Premier League appearances for the Red Devils last season and has not featured for the club since a 2-1 win over Luton back in February. 

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.