EPL

Everton to 'assess all options' as 777 Partners takeover falls through

By Sports Desk June 01, 2024

Everton will "assess all options" regarding the club's ownership after a proposed takeover by 777 Partners fell through on Saturday.

Majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri agreed to sell his 94 per cent stake in the club to the US-based consortium last September, but the Premier League refused to sign off on the takeover.

The deal was repeatedly delayed as 777 failed to meet the Premier League's required conditions of ownership, though the consortium provided financial support to the club for several months. 

Everton lost eight points to two deductions in 2023-24 for breaching the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules, but still finished 14 points clear of the relegation zone.

Moshiri is now looking for alternative buyers to come forward, with Crystal Palace co-owner John Textor having expressed an interest in investing last month.

The club said in a statement: "The agreement between 777 Partners and Blue Heaven Holdings Limited for the sale and purchase of the majority shareholding in the club expired today. 

"The board of directors recognises the considerable level of financial support 777 Partners has provided the club over recent months and would like to take this opportunity to thank them for this.

"The club will continue to operate as usual while it works with Blue Heaven Holdings to assess all options for the club's future ownership.

"The board of directors would like to thank everyone connected to Everton for their patience over recent months and reiterate its commitment to providing further updates when it is appropriate to do so through the club's official communication channels."

Related items

  • Newcastle sign Serbia youth international Pivas Newcastle sign Serbia youth international Pivas

    Newcastle United have completed the signing of Serbia youth international Miodrag Pivas.

    The 19-year-old defender, who can also play as a defensive midfielder, is the Magpies' fifth arrival ahead of the 2024-25 season, after Odysseas Vlachodimos, Lloyd Kelly, Lewis Hall and John Ruddy.

    Pivas joins Newcastle from Jedinstvo, who he helped gain promotion to the Serbian Super Liga last term, while he has also turned out for Austrian sides Siezenheim and Grodig.

    "It's absolutely unbelievable to join such a big club like Newcastle United and I cannot wait to get started," he told the club's official website. "I see the project of the club, and it looks great, which helped convince me to sign for Newcastle.

    "I see the young players have developed very well here, and I would like to do the same - to develop and get into Newcastle's first team. I'm very excited."

    Darren Eales, Newcastle's CEO, added: "Miodrag is a promising talent with high potential. Our recruitment network is continuing to watch young players like Miodrag around the world with a view to identifying and developing them into first-team players of the future.

    "We are pleased to welcome him to Newcastle United, and we look forward to supporting his development at this important stage of his career."

  • Meunier completes return to French football with Lille Meunier completes return to French football with Lille

    Thomas Meunier has completed a return to French football, signing for Lille after just five months with Trabzonspor. 

    Meunier, who won the Ligue 1 title three times with Paris Saint-Germain during his four years at the Parc des Princes, has signed a two-year contract with Les Dogues.

    The 32-year-old featured eight times for Borussia Dortmund this season after missing the start of the campaign through injury, before completing a move to Turkey in February. 

    Meunier will provide experience for Bruno Genesio's side, who will compete in the Champions League this season following their fourth place finish in Ligue 1. 

    "Lille was the perfect choice from a sporting and family point of view. With its proximity to Belgium, it's like being at home," Meunier said in a statement.

    "My experience in the various European Cups will enable me to coach the youngest members of the dressing room and ensure that they're 100% focused on the club's sporting success."

    Meunier becomes the French side's third addition this transfer window following the long-term arrivals of Ethan Mbappe and Ngal'ayel Mukau. 

    Having allowed defender Leny Yoro to complete a reported £59.8million deal with Manchester United, Lille are expected to dive into the transfer market for further additions to their squad. 

  • Howe relays 'unwavering commitment' to Newcastle amid England job links Howe relays 'unwavering commitment' to Newcastle amid England job links

    Eddie Howe has insisted he remains "committed" to Newcastle United amid links to the vacant England head coach position. 

    Southgate, who led England to back-to-back European Championship finals, resigned on Tuesday following the Three Lions' Euro 2024 final defeat to Spain. 

    Howe is among several names linked with the role alongside Graham Potter, Lee Carsley and an ambitious swoop for Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola. 

    Newcastle chief executive Darren Eales has already expressed his desire for Howe to remain at St. James' Park, having led the Magpies to Champions League football during the 2022-23 Premier League season. 

    "It is an unbelievable football club. I’m very, very proud to be the manager," Howe told BBC Radio Newcastle at the club's pre-season training camp in Germany. 

    "I love the supporters, I love the players, I love the staff. So really, there has been no thought in my mind on anything else and I have been very committed to the job here.

    "For me, as long as I am happy and feel supported and feel free to do the work that I love to do at Newcastle, I’ll be very happy - and I am very happy."

    Howe replaced Steve Bruce in November 2021, guiding the club to an 11th place finish in the league, with the Magpies becoming the first team in Premier League history to avoid relegation after not winning any of the first 14 games. 

    The following season saw Howe guide the club to their first cup final in 23 years before going on to secure Champions League football for the first time since the 2002-03 campaign. 

    Howe signed what Eales described as a "multi-year" contract extension last summer before Newcastle finished seventh in the Premier League, failing to secure European football following Manchester United's success in the FA Cup. 

    Newcastle kickstart their pre-season preparations with a fixture against Championship side Hull City next Saturday ahead of hosting newly promoted Southampton on the first day of the season. 

    "Of course that is my expectation because I am the manager of Newcastle and I am very proud to be," Howe said on if he expects to be in charge against the Saints. 

    "But as I said, it is all about the environment I am working in. As long as that is one where I feel I can give my best, then absolutely, we will crack on and I am looking forward to next season."

    England are next in action in September as they face the Republic of Ireland in the Nations League. 

    An interim manager will be in charge if the Football Association is still to appoint Southgate's successor at that point.

    "I’m absolutely honoured and privileged to be manager of Newcastle United. I hope that is for many, many years," Howe added.

    "My commitment is unwavering. I am determined to win a trophy for the football club - that is in my psyche every day. I want to see joy in the supporters. I want to bring that to them, hopefully."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.