EPL

Sven-Goran Eriksson granted wish of being Liverpool boss for March charity match

By Sports Desk February 13, 2024

Sven-Goran Eriksson will fulfil his lifelong dream of managing Liverpool when he takes his place in the LFC Legends dugout for a charity game against Ajax Legends next month.

Former England boss Eriksson revealed in January he had “best case a year” to live after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

During a round of TV interviews upon revealing his health issues, the 76-year-old Swede disclosed his lifelong love for Liverpool and how he always wished to be manager of the club.

Liverpool announced on Tuesday morning that Eriksson, who guided England to the quarter-finals of the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, will be part of the LFC Legends management team at Anfield for the match on March 23.

“The former England boss will join a dugout of LFC greats, including Ian Rush, John Barnes and John Aldridge, for the annual LFC Foundation charity match,” Liverpool said.

“All connected with the club and LFC Foundation look forward to warmly welcoming LFC fan Sven and his family to Anfield – and seeing him in the dugout on the day – for a fantastic fundraising occasion.”

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking shortly after Eriksson went public with his diagnosis, opened the door for the Swede to spend the day as Liverpool manager.

“I don’t know him, unfortunately not,” the German was quoted as saying in several newspapers. “I know him without knowing him, we never met.

“Yes, it was obviously very touching news when you heard about it. I heard for the first time about his admiration or love for Liverpool and that he was a fan for his whole life.

“Absolutely he’s very welcome to come here and he can sit in my seat in my office and do my job for a day if he wants. That’s no problem.

“Being on the sideline might be a little bit more difficult. To have him here and show him everything and how this wonderful club developed over the years, I think that’s definitely something we will tell him. He can come over and have a few wonderful hours here, I’m sure.”

Liverpool’s squad for next month’s charity game will include the likes of Jerzy Dudek, Sander Westerveld, Martin Skrtel, Fabio Aurelio, Gregory Vignal and Djibril Cisse, while former Reds and Ajax forward Ryan Babel will feature for both sides.

LFC Foundation’s two previous ‘Legends’ matches against Manchester United and Celtic raised £1.45million in total for the club’s charity and its partners, Liverpool said.

Related items

  • Manchester City welcome back Kyle Walker for Real Madrid clash Manchester City welcome back Kyle Walker for Real Madrid clash

    Kyle Walker is set to return as holders Manchester City bid to reach the Champions League semi-finals for a fourth successive year against Real Madrid on Wednesday.

    The England right-back has missed the treble-winners’ last five matches after suffering a hamstring injury on international duty last month.

    Walker played a full part in City’s final training session before they host Spanish giants Real in the second leg of their quarter-final tie at the Etihad Stadium, which will begin with the aggregate score 3-3.

    Manager Pep Guardiola said: “He’s been training good. I don’t know if from the beginning or from the bench, but I think he will be with us tomorrow.

    “It is incredibly good news for many reasons. You know the physicality is massively important and in football it is how you challenge your opponent. Everyone knows the quality Kyle has.”

    Walker did not travel to Spain for last week’s pulsating first-leg draw at the Bernabeu Stadium but was an unused substitute for the 5-1 thrashing of Luton on Saturday.

    Team-mate Bernardo Silva has welcomed the potential return of the City skipper.

    The midfielder said: “He is very important because we know Kyle has controlled some of the best players in the world and always does a phenomenal job when he plays.

    “He’s our captain and he’s a player who, in the last few years, has played against players like Vinicius, (Kylian) Mbappe and Neymar and has defended against them like nobody else.”

  • Jude Bellingham: Joining Real Madrid last summer was ‘no-brainer’ Jude Bellingham: Joining Real Madrid last summer was ‘no-brainer’

    Jude Bellingham admitted joining Real Madrid last summer was a “no-brainer”.

    The England midfielder opted for the Spanish giants amid interest from a host of Europe’s top clubs after three highly-impressive seasons with Borussia Dortmund.

    The 20-year-old Birmingham academy product has hardly looked back since, netting 20 times in an outstanding debut campaign at the Bernabeu Stadium that has catapulted him into the game’s elite.

    Bellingham, speaking at a press conference ahead of Real’s Champions League clash with Manchester City on Wednesday, said: “I had good chats with loads of clubs – including Dortmund – and my family were great in helping me chew up that information.

    “It’s difficult while you are still in the season to take in the information and process it and still have to play at the weekend or in the Champions League.

    “I had conversations with other teams but when Madrid came in it was a no-brainer really. The size of the club, the project, the plan going forward, the chance to play with such amazing players.

    “I just jumped at it. That’s why I made my decision.”

    Bellingham has no doubt his game has developed considerably since joining Real and he puts a lot of that down to the influence of veteran manager Carlo Ancelotti.

    He said: “I think the sign of a good manager is when he can make you believe that you’re a bit better than maybe you thought you were before.

    “I think he fills me with that confidence every day, in training and in the game. Not only that, but he’s a top person. He makes you feel comfortable.”

    Real are locked in a ferocious battle with holders City to advance to the semi-finals after an enthralling 3-3 draw at the Bernabeu last week.

    City are now regarded as the favourites due to their home advantage – and the fact they thrashed Real 4-0 at the same venue last season – but Bellingham is taking no notice of predictions.

    He said: “That’s just the impression from the outside, the feeling from everyone else.

    “I’m not a gambler and I’ve never been to the bookies, so I don’t know about betting favourites and things like that.

    “But I do know that we’re a pretty good team ourselves. They’re the treble winners, they’re an amazing team but we’ve got some brilliant players.

    “There’s external noise, but internally, we’re confident.”

  • Old Trafford regeneration task force meet for first time Old Trafford regeneration task force meet for first time

    Manchester United’s regeneration task force charged with exploring the redevelopment of Old Trafford has met for the first time.

    Lord Coe, chair of a group that also includes Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, and former United captain Gary Neville, oversaw the meeting that took place on Monday.

    United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe is looking to build a world-class stadium by either redeveloping Old Trafford or constructing a new ground on adjacent land owned by the Premier League club.

    “Yesterday, I chaired the first meeting of the Old Trafford regeneration task force to kick off a conversation about how development of a world-class football stadium for the north of England can deliver social and economic benefits for the region,” London 2012 chief Coe said on X.

    “At the London 2012 Olympics, I saw first-hand how sport can be a powerful driver of urban regeneration and I am excited to be part of this project.

    “This meeting marked the start of a multi-stakeholder process to explore options for the stadium and surrounding area. We are at the start of this journey, and it is too soon to know where it will lead.

    “But we will consult closely with fans and local residents along the way, and keep everyone informed of progress.”

    Ratcliffe has described the plans to build a new ground and regenerate the Old Trafford area as a “once-in-a-century opportunity”.

    With redevelopment of the existing site costing in the region of £1billion and building a new stadium altogether requiring a £2billion outlay, the task force will also examine options for financing the project.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.