Lamine Yamal brace helps salvage point for Barcelona at home to lowly Granada

By Sports Desk February 11, 2024

Teenage star Lamine Yamal rescued a point for Barcelona in a thrilling 3-3 draw against LaLiga strugglers Granada.

Yamal, who became the youngest scorer in the competition’s history against the same opposition earlier this season, curled home his second goal of the game 10 minutes from time to deny the visitors their first away win of the campaign.

The 16-year-old had opened the scoring in the first half, but Granada equalised through Ricard Sanchez just before the interval and Facundo Pellistri made it 2-1 on the hour mark before Robert Lewandowski levelled moments later.

A third goal in the space of six minutes from Ignasi Miquel restored Granada’s lead as they belied their lowly place in the table, only for Yamal to have the last word with a brilliant solo effort.

Yamal had come close to setting up Lewandowski for the opening goal before breaking the deadlock himself seconds later, volleying home at the far post from Joao Cancelo’s cross.

Myrto Uzuni attempted to get Granada back on level terms in spectacular fashion but failed to make contact with an overhead kick after 18 minutes, while Oscar Melendo’s follow-up shot blocked.

The home side looked certain to regain their lead shortly before the interval when Ilkay Gundogan squared for Lewandowski with the goal seemingly at his mercy, but the 35-year-old’s shot was brilliantly cleared off the line by Martin Hongla.

And Granada made the most of that reprieve in the 43rd minute when Pellistri drove to the byline before pulling the ball back for Sanchez to drill a first-time finish past Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

Barcelona coach Xavi had used his pre-match press conference to herald the “great news” that Ter Stegen was fit to play for the first time since November following back surgery, but the Germany international will be disappointed to have been beaten at his near post.

Pellistri and Sanchez continued to cause problems for Barca in the second half and it was no surprise that the former gave his side the lead on the hour mark.

Pau Cubarsi’s poor header from a hopeful cross into the box fell perfectly for Uzuni to send the ball back across goal and give Pellistri the simple task of turning it into an empty net.

The lead lasted just two minutes before Lewandowski rifled in an equaliser from the edge of the area after a delightful lay-off from Gundogan, but Miquel then headed home from Faitout Maouassa’s cross to stun the home crowd.

Fermin Lopez had a goal correctly ruled out for offside before Yamal had the final word,
dispossessing Jose Callejon before curling a 25-yard shot into the bottom corner.

Related items

  • Football rumours: Brentford monitoring Norwich striker Josh Sargent Football rumours: Brentford monitoring Norwich striker Josh Sargent

    What the papers say

    Brentford are reportedly keeping tabs on Norwich’s in-form American striker Josh Sargent. The Sun says the Bees view the 24-year-old, who has scored 11 goals in 17 matches this season, as an ideal replacement for Ivan Toney, who is expected to be sold in the summer.

    Miguel Gutierrez is on the radar of Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, according to The Sun. Citing a report from Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo, the paper says the 22-year-old defender is a high priority transfer target for the United boss, though Gutierrez’s former club are thought to Real Madrid retain 50 per cent of his rights and a buy-back clause and could prove a substantial roadblock for the Red Devils.

    And the Daily Mirror reports Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United all had scouts in attendance to watch Sporting Lisbon striker Viktor Gyokeres net his 31st goal of the season against Benfica last week.

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Andy Robertson: Football Insider says Liverpool are set to open contract talks with the defender, who has been linked with Bayern Munich in recent days.

    Francesco Camarda: Gazzetta dello Sport, via Football Italia, reports Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund are monitoring the 15-year-old AC Milan forward.

  • On this day in 2012: Andre Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea On this day in 2012: Andre Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea

    On this day in 2012, Andre Villas-Boas left Chelsea as former midfielder Roberto Di Matteo was appointed interim manager until the end of the season.

    Villas-Boas, 34, lost the job he had held for just eight months less than 24 hours after a 1-0 defeat at West Brom which left the Blues sitting in fifth place in the Premier League table and having won just five of their previous 15 games in all competitions.

    The Portuguese had been recruited at great expense – around £13.3million – as Carlo Ancelotti’s replacement by then Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in June 2011 and handed the task of overhauling an ageing squad after winning a remarkable quadruple with Porto.

    However, he quickly found himself under pressure and reports of dressing room unrest coupled with faltering form prompted the club to act ahead of an FA Cup trip to Birmingham and an impending Champions League showdown with Napoli.

    In a statement, they said: “Unfortunately the results and performances of the team have not been good enough and were showing no signs of improving at a key time in the season.

    “The club is still competing in the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League and the FA Cup, as well as challenging for a top-four spot in the Premier League, and we aim to remain as competitive as possible on all fronts.

    “With that in mind, we felt our only option was to make a change at this time.”

    Assistant Di Matteo was placed in temporary charge and made rather a good fist of it, at least initially.

    The Italian guided Chelsea to FA Cup final victory over Liverpool and then famously at the Allianz Arena, a dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final as Didier Drogba, whose late header had taken the game to extra time, converted the decisive spot-kick to complete Abramovich’s quest for European glory.

    Di Matteo’s reward was a permanent two-year contract, although his reign too proved short-lived when he was sacked after just five months at the helm.

  • Barcelona lose Frenkie de Jong and Pedri to injury in Athletic Bilbao stalemate Barcelona lose Frenkie de Jong and Pedri to injury in Athletic Bilbao stalemate

    Barcelona suffered a costly evening against Athletic Bilbao as they failed to make ground on leaders Real Madrid after a goalless draw that saw Frenkie de Jong and Pedri pick up injuries.

    Defeat for second-placed Girona and Real’s draw at Valencia opened up an opportunity for Barca but they were held to a stalemate at San Mames and sit eight points off top spot.

    Worse yet, they lost midfielders De Jong and Pedri in the first half, with the latter unable to hold back the tears as he contemplated the latest in a series of fitness setbacks.

    Ernesto Valverde’s side struggled to get time on the ball in the opening stages, with his former club Barcelona enjoying plenty of possession as Joao Cancelo established himself as the liveliest outlet on the park.

    Hanging on to the ball did not translate into obvious openings, though, with a pair of set-pieces the closest they came to an early breakthrough.

    Andreas Christensen headed over Ilkay Gundogan’s free-kick and Jules Kounde’s ambitious flick off a corner also cleared the crossbar.

    For their part, Athletic were feeding on scraps and largely unable to make use of the ball when they made it into the final third. Barca’s flow was disrupted when De Jong went over on his ankle in the 26th minute, clearly unable to shake off the pain as Fermin Lopez took his place.

    They almost grabbed an opener out of nowhere shortly after the half-hour when Cancelo tried his luck from long-range after Unai Simon’s punt up-field and caught the keeper out of position. Simon managed to back-track and get a hand on it but still needed Yeray Alvarez to clear up on the line.

    With time running down on the first half Pedri went down with nobody else involved, forced out of the match and letting his emotion get the better of him as he returned to the dugout.

    Athletic came alive at the start of the second period, captain Inaki Williams twice finding space in behind and twice missing the target as he let loose. Barca defenders Ronald Araujo and Pau Cubarsi were also forced into shutting down promising moves as the tide threatened to turn.

    Alex Berenguer had a couple of promising breaks but floundered when it came to an end product while 16-year-old Lamine Yamal, Pedri’s replacement, saw a penalty shout waved away at the other end.

    The hosts almost made Barca’s night even worse in added time when Dani Garcia arrived unmarked at the far post from a corner but failed to direct his header on target.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.