Saudi Arabia sports minister says ‘everyone’s welcome’ at 2034 World Cup

By Sports Desk December 08, 2023

Saudi Arabia’s sports minister insists everyone will be welcome at the 2034 World Cup despite the country’s criminalisation of same-sex activity.

The Middle East kingdom is all-but certain to host the finals in 11 years’ time after emerging as the sole bidder.

Concerns have been raised at what conditions will be like in Saudi Arabia for individuals from the LGBTQ+ community, but sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al Faisal has told the BBC: “Everyone’s welcome in the kingdom.

“Like any other nation we have rules and regulations that everyone should abide by and respect.

“When we come to the UK we respect the rules and regulations, whether we believe in them or not. Through the 85 events that we have had so far, we haven’t had any issues.”

The same issue was prevalent before and during the 2022 finals in Qatar. At that tournament, spectators had rainbow-coloured items confiscated by stadium security guards.

Seven countries’ captains were also threatened with sporting sanctions starting at a yellow card by FIFA if they wore rainbow-coloured ‘OneLove’ armbands at the tournament.

That competition was played in winter due to the oppressive summer heat in the Middle East, causing disruption to many leagues in Europe, but Prince Adbulaziz said it was not certain that would need to be repeated in Saudi Arabia.

“Why not see what the possibilities are to do it in the summer?” he added.

“Whether it is summer or winter it doesn’t matter for us, as long as we make sure that we (deliver) the right atmosphere to host such an event.”

He also said concerns over the treatment of migrant workers involved in building World Cup infrastructure, which dogged Qatar’s hosting for more than a decade in the run-up to the finals, would not be repeated.

“We have 10 years to work on that, we already started in a lot of the venues, so we have a long time to do it in the right time, in the right process,” he said.

“We’re already developing infrastructure… so we are not required to build a lot more to host such an event.”

There has been criticism of the process FIFA followed that left Saudi Arabia as the single bidder in the race for 2034.

FIFA announced in October that its Council had agreed the Portugal, Spain and Morocco bid as the sole candidate to host the 2030 finals and that the first three matches of the tournament should be played in South America to mark the event’s centenary.

On its continental rotation, that meant only bids from countries in the Asian and Oceania confederations would be considered for 2034.

When Australia announced on October 31 that it would not bid, Saudi Arabia was left as the sole candidate.

Prince Abdulaziz said it was “just a theory” that FIFA had engineered the process in Saudi Arabia’s favour and added: “Everyone was clear on the regulations, nobody objected to them during (the process) so I don’t think there was any lack of transparency from FIFA. It was only that we were ready to do it and maybe others weren’t. That’s not our fault.

“As you can see from the announcement of more than 125 federations in support of the Saudi bid… the world also wants us to host 2034.”

The bids for 2030 and 2034 still need to be fully evaluated and then ratified by all member associations at a FIFA Congress.

Related items

  • ‘No regrets’ says Pep Guardiola after Manchester City loss in Champions League ‘No regrets’ says Pep Guardiola after Manchester City loss in Champions League

    Pep Guardiola insisted there were no regrets after Manchester City’s bid to retain their Champions League crown ended in a heartbreaking penalty shoot-out loss to Real Madrid.

    The holders were beaten 4-3 on spot-kicks by the Spanish giants after their quarter-final tie ended 4-4 on aggregate – 1-1 on the night – despite a dominant display from Guardiola’s side in the second leg at the Etihad Stadium.

    City fell behind early to a Rodrygo goal but created a host of chances as they sought to regain control of the tie but Kevin De Bruyne’s 76th-minute equaliser was their only reward.

    City manager Guardiola said: “I would have preferred to win but congratulations to Real Madrid, they defended so deep with incredible solidarity and we did everything.

    “I don’t have any regrets about what we have done. Always we try to create more chances and concede less, because we believe that helps you to win and we did everything.

    “We played exceptionally in all departments and unfortunately we could not win.”

    Bernardo Silva and Mateo Kovacic both missed in the shoot-out, with the former’s effort proving a particularly comfortable save for Andriy Lunin.

    Guardiola refused to blame the Portuguese for his failure to register.

    He said: “Bernardo asked to take it, he’s a reliable player and decided to shoot in that way. What a game he had played. It happens.”

    Guardiola also had no complaints about Real’s tactics, with the Spanish side forced to sit back and defend deep for much of the game.

    “I don’t judge,” he said. “I’m not here to do this. It’s football. In this competition, that’s the way football happens.”

    City’s loss also ended their hopes of winning a second successive treble and they must now pick themselves up for Saturday’s FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea at Wembley.

    Guardiola said: “Now we will rest and on Friday we travel to London to play the game.

    “We will see how people will react. Of course the recovery is easier when winning, rather than losing, but it is the semi-final of the FA Cup and we will try to compete as much as possible.”

    Real manager Carlo Ancelotti admitted the strength of City had forced them to soak up pressure and look to take the tie on penalties.

    The veteran Italian said: “We defended really, really well. This was about survival. Madrid is a club based on always fighting to stay in situations where there seems to be no way out – but we always find a way.

    “By the time the penalty shoot-out came, we were totally convinced we’d go through.

    “This is about the only way you can come to City and win. You work, sacrifice and win however you can.”

  • Mikel Arteta: What Arsenal still have to play for is beautiful Mikel Arteta: What Arsenal still have to play for is beautiful

    Mikel Arteta wants Arsenal to end their season in “beautiful” fashion after they were knocked out of the Champions League by Bayern Munich.

    The Gunners lost 1-0 at the Allianz Arena as Joshua Kimmich’s second-half header was enough to seal a semi-final against Real Madrid with a 3-2 aggregate victory.

    It followed on from a 2-0 home loss to Aston Villa on Sunday that has dented Arsenal’s Premier League title chances.

    They travel to Wolves on Saturday evening needing a reaction to a poor week and Arteta feels his side will approach the game in the correct manner.

    Asked how painful the Champions League exit was, the Spaniard said: “It’s there.

    “It’s not going to go away, certainly tonight, but I can guarantee you by tomorrow we’re fully focused on Wolves and everybody is lifted.

    “What we still have to play for is beautiful. I said before it’s time to be next to these players.

    “It’s easy to be behind them and praise the players and talk nice things when we win 10 in a row and one draw.

    “The moment is now to be behind them and be next to them.”

    After a tight game in which Bayern also hit the woodwork twice and Gabriel Martinelli missed a glorious chance to put the away side ahead, Arteta said his side are continuing to learn after returning to the Champions League for the first time in seven years.

    “We haven’t played this competition for seven years and we haven’t been in this stage for 14 years,” he added.

    “There’s a reason for it. We want to do everything fast forward, super quick in one season. I think we have the capacity and the quality to be in the semi-final because the margins are very small.

    “Those margins are coming from something else that maybe we don’t have yet. We have to learn it. When you look historically it took other clubs seven, eight or 10 years to do it. Today that’s not going to make us feel better that’s for sure.”

    While Arsenal are still relatively inexperienced at this level, Bayern are now preparing for a ninth semi-final in the competition since the Gunners last made it that far.

    Manager Thomas Tuchel also becomes just the second man, after Jose Mourinho, to guide three different clubs to the final four and was pleased with the performance of the hosts.

    “It’s always better to play in front of your own fans,” he said.

    “With every tackle and every good action you get the support and it lifts you and gives you a second wind.

    “Now it’s the semi-finals and everyone needs to step up – we need to step up and the supporters need to step up again.

    “It was a chess game in the first half. Nobody wanted to make the first mistake. Everyone played a bit safe – there were moments for us, there were moments for Arsenal.

    “We encouraged the team at half-time to show a bit more personality, a bit more courage. We were more fluid and played a fantastic second half. We deserved to win.”

  • I still believe – Philippe Clement not losing hope despite title setback I still believe – Philippe Clement not losing hope despite title setback

    Defiant Philippe Clement still believes Rangers can win the cinch Premiership title despite another set-back with a goalless draw at Dundee.

    The Ibrox side lost for the first time ever against Ross County on Sunday in the poorest performance since the Belgian replaced Michael Beale last October and he was looking for a response against the Dark Blues, who had clinched a top-six place at the weekend.

    However, in a game played at the third time of asking after the Dens Park pitch was twice ruled unplayable, the visitors could not get the breakthrough and were booed off the park by angry supporters.

    The Ibrox side were eight points behind league leaders Celtic at one point and with five post-split matches remaining including a trip to Parkhead, they are three points behind but asked if they could still win it, Clement said: “I still believe that.

    “I was maybe the only one in Glasgow who believed that in October, probably the only one of the whole town who believed that.

    “We are now six months later and if we win all our games then there is a really big possibility for that.

    “I think that is already a big step forward and I believe in this group, because I have seen what they have done this season already. They can do it again.

    “Of course it is frustrating because you want to win, of course. You see the team gives everything for that. There was only one team who deserved to win this evening if you see the possession and the chances. It is frustrating if you have those things and don’t have the points.

    “It would be concerning if it was the same performance as Sunday. That was not the case.

    “So, there were a lot of things much better, it was also needed because Sunday was our worst performance in the six months that we’ve been together.

    “Then it’s a pity that they show better things but don’t get the result behind you. But, it’s about standing up and being ready for Sunday again, to take the result.

    “If they keep on pushing what they did today then results come also because that’s not big difference from how they played a few weeks ago or a few months ago.”

    Ahead of the Scottish Gas Scottish Cup semi-final against Hearts at Hampden Park on Sunday, Clement asked for the backing of the Gers fans who were left so frustrated.

    He said: “They need to stick with the team. That is super important. It is winning together and losing points together.

    “I know as a fan you have the emotions and for sure after the game. But they have been great the last couple of months and pushing the team over difficult moments. That is what I expect also in this situation.

    “They expect that the team gives everything to win games. Maybe in the next weeks they can push the team a few times over the line, or the ball over the line.”

    Tony Docherty strongly disagreed with Clement’s assertion that only one team deserved to win the game.

    “I thought it was, again, a really fantastic performance by the team,” said the Dundee boss, who revealed skipper Joe Shaughnessy will have a scan on a knee injury which saw him limp off early in the first half.

    “I thought we went toe to toe with a really good Rangers team which has a huge motivation in the title race.

    “But who had the more motivation in that game there?

    “I thought my players served up a fantastic performance out of possession and in possession.

    “I couldn’t be more pleased with them because I thought their focus going into the last two games was outstanding.

    “And I thought we got our rewards tonight.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.