Ilkay Gundogan looking forward to enjoying many more years with Barcelona

By Sports Desk December 02, 2023

Ilkay Gundogan says he hopes to stay at Barcelona for many more years and wants to win titles with the Catalan giants.

The 33-year-old moved to the club in the summer after seven years at Manchester City – where he signed off by winning the Champions League.

Gundogan has played 19 times in all competitions so far this season for Xavi’s side, scoring once, and says he is starting to find his feet at the club.

“I am getting more and more used to it,” Gundogan told Barca TV.

“The start of course is always a bit difficult. You come from a different country, a different league, you don’t know many people. So there are things that you need to get used to.

“But as a family we are settling in more and more, we have found an apartment for ourselves. Everyone is amazing to me, the way I get treated here in the club.

“We love the city as a family, we feel very at home and very comfortable.

“I did not have any doubt for one second, I did not regret my choice for one second. We are very happy and we are looking forward to many more years here. And I came here to prove myself, play amazing football and win a lot of titles hopefully.”

Barcelona host Atletico Madrid on Sunday sitting fourth in LaLiga, level on points with their opponents and four adrift of Real Madrid and surprise challengers Girona.

Xavi’s men slipped up last weekend with a 1-1 draw at Rayo Vallecano before securing their spot in the Champions League knockout phase with a 2-1 win over Porto in midweek.

Striker Robert Lewandowski knows that this is a key week for Barcelona, with home games against Atletico and Girona, and is targeting taking six points.

“We know we need to take a step forward. The season is very long,” Lewandowski said.

“We want to win every game and now we have very important games in the league and I hope to win both games and get six points.

“It’s always hard to play against Atletico Madrid. Atletico always play very well in defence, good at attacking with good players too.

“But we are Barca and we’re playing at home. From the first minute we have to play very well, attack and score goals. We’re playing two teams that are very high up in the table and I think we know how important it is for us to play well in defence.

“We attack with a lot of players in the area. With a lot of players in the area we have more chances to score goals. Of course it’s a challenge for us and now we want to start not only winning but also playing better. That’s very important for us.

“Yes it’s not just Atletico and I hope that we end up with six more points.”

Related items

  • Haynes high on confidence as young Soca Warriors ready to kick off U-20 Champs against St Vincent and the Grenadines Haynes high on confidence as young Soca Warriors ready to kick off U-20 Champs against St Vincent and the Grenadines

    Trinidad and Tobago Head coach Brian Haynes is exuding confidence that his young Soca Warriors should open their Concacaf under-20 Championship qualifiers account with victory over St Vincent and the Grenadines at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Friday.

    The young Soca Warriors, which recently wrapped up their preparation phase, now has the much-anticipated opportunity to impress both their coach and fans on home soil. They lock horns with St Vincent and the Grenadines in the Group D feature game at 6:00pm, after group favourites Canada meet Dominica in the 3:00pm curtain-raiser.

    With only the group winner to progress to the Championship round where they will join the confederation's top-six ranked teams, United States, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica and Dominican Republic, Haynes is well aware that his team has no room for mistakes throughout the campaign.

    "We are preparing for the first game. That is it. Nothing means anything unless we play that first game and do what we have to do to win that game," Haynes told T&T Football Association (TTFA) media.

    "No disrespect to St Vincent or whoever we are going to play, but that is our focus – winning that first game," he added.

    After their opening game against St Vincent and the Grenadines, the young Soca Warriors play Dominica on Sunday, before ending the group assignment against Canada on February 27. All games will be played at the Mucurapo venue.

    Haynes, who included seven overseas-based players in his 21-member squad, admitted to knowing little about their opponents.

    "(We have not been able to get much information on other teams), which is fine. It is really quiet out there. It made me more determined to prepare my team the way we have to play, the tactician shared.

    With 11 of the players being those that represented the twin island republic at last year's Concacaf under-17 championship, there is some cohesion and intensity in Haynes's side, which he believes the overseas-based players have strengthened. The overseas-based players are goalkeeper Ailan Panton, striker Larry Noel, attacking midfielder Derrel Garcia and English-born flanker Rio Cardines, a Crystal Palace youth player.

    "The level of professionalism is one thing, and the level of play is another thing. The body of work these guys bring to the group is awesome," Haynes said.

    "They are not here to be casual. They are here working hard and giving their best. What it has done is lift the level of all the players," he noted.

    Haynes promised possession-oriented football with a purpose, as he underlined the significance of keeping clean sheets in the qualifiers, especially given the quality of his defensive group.

    "(The fans) are going to meet a bunch of players who are very hard-working. Second of all, they are going to meet a bunch of players who play for each other. Thirdly and most importantly, (the fans will see) a team that wants to win and entertain T&T," Haynes ended.

  • Jamaica’s football legends to be honoured at 2024 All-Star Football Tournament Jamaica’s football legends to be honoured at 2024 All-Star Football Tournament

     

    Former national football players Allan ‘Skill’ Cole and Walter ‘Blacka Pearl’ Boyd will be honoured at the inaugural staging of the 2024 All Star Football Tournament, set for Sunday, February 25, 2024 at the Constant Spring Football Field in St. Andrew.

    The winners of the two playoffs will receive trophies named in honour of Cole and Boyd, who represented Jamaica at the highest level on the national and international arena. 

    Both Cole and Boyd will be on-hand to present the trophies to the winning teams. The respective trophies will remain with the team coaches for one year.

    Competition Director Haron Martin said the training sessions have been going well and the players are in high spirits as they look forward to Sunday’s games.

    “The players are excited about the tournament. They are very focused and have been preparing well to represent their teams and showcase their talent,” Martin said.

    “We are also upbeat about the tournament, and we anticipate that the players will get the kind of exposure that they deserve,” he added.

    An All-Prep team will square off against an All-Primary team; while at the Under14 level; the teams will consist of schools north grouped and south grouped of Kingston combined together. They will compete against each other for trophy bragging rights.

    According to Tournament Director, Leighton Davis, the competition will showcase the best youth talents that will prove to be an exciting and entertaining showpiece for the spectators.

    “This tournament is to highlight and reward players who have done well throughout the season. These types of games will help players develop and improve because they are playing against the best of the best,” Davis said.

    Main sponsor for the event is Project 2 Project Consultancy; with MDS Limited, the hydration sponsor and 876 Stream the social media sponsor, Blacktie Images and Insight Studios.

    Gates open at 1:00pm with games being played 2:30pm and 4:00pm respectively.

  • AC Milan progress in Europa League despite Rennes fightback AC Milan progress in Europa League despite Rennes fightback

    AC Milan held off a stirring comeback by Rennes to book their place in the Europa League last 16.

    The Italian side looked to have the job done after last week’s 3-0 first-leg win at the San Siro, but the Ligue 1 outfit gave them a scare on home soil, with Benjamin Bourigeaud’s hat-trick sealing a 3-2 victory in the second leg.

    Milan goals from Luka Jovic and Rafael Leao proved pivotal as they secured a 5-3 aggregate win to go into the hat for Friday’s draw.

    Rennes knew they would have to make early inroads into their deficit if they were to have any chance of repairing the damage from a harrowing night in Milan last week.

    And they enjoyed the dream start as they went ahead in the 10th minute.

    Bourigeaud received the ball in the centre of the pitch, took a touch and then drilled a scorching low effort into the bottom corner.

    Milan were able to weather the early storm and got a crucial leveller in the 21st minute to restore their three-goal advantage.

    Tijjani Reijnders burst forward and teed up Theo Hernandez to send in an inviting cross which an unmarked Jovic powered home with his head.

    The hosts came again and thought they had made it 2-1 soon after but Arnaud Kalimuendo’s effort hit Mike Maignan without the Milan goalkeeper knowing too much about it.

    The French side did go back in front in the 54th minute when Bourigeaud got his second of the match, converting from the penalty spot after Martin Terrier had been fouled by Simon Kjaer.

    But they were again pegged back four minutes later as Milan made it 2-2 thanks to a fine Leao strike, the Portugal international guiding into the corner after a fine solo run.

    Bourigeaud claimed the matchball as Rennes took the lead for the third time in the match as he again emphatically scored from the penalty spot after VAR had spotted a foul by Jovic.

    That left them with 22 minutes of normal time to try and muster two goals and, although they attacked with intent and bluster they could not forge any real chances.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.