Shaun Maloney determined to repay Wigan chairman Mike Danson with FA Cup run

By Sports Desk December 01, 2023

Wigan manager Shaun Maloney admitted he was determined to reach the third round of the FA Cup for chairman Mike Danson following a 1-0 win at York.

Maloney, who was a member of the Latics’ 2013 FA Cup final-winning team, is desperate to repay Danson with a money-spinning run in this season’s competition after he saved the club from financial ruin when he took over in the summer.

The Latics had to start their League One campaign with an eight-point deduction due to the off-pitch issues Danson inherited, meaning a good cup run would prove a perfect fillip given the handicap they were given in the league.

After Stephen Humphrys’ goal sealed victory at the National League outfit, Maloney said: “I am very happy to be in the third-round draw.

“The chairman literally saved the club so I want to repay him for that and I know, with what happened in the summer, how important the finance you can get from this competition can be.

“We wanted to be at our best in this tie which I showed with my team selection,” added the former Scotland forward, who picked an unchanged starting XI following Tuesday’s 3-0 home win against Fleetwood, “and I was reasonably happy with the performance, although the last three or four minutes were a bit nervy.

“It was a brilliant finish by Stephen, though, to win the game and he’s got so much talent in one-on-one situations with his speed.

“I’m always confident that our attacking players will take a chance at some point in a game. The only criticism I would have in this game is that we could have been more clinical but, to be fair to York, they had a couple of good chances as well.”

York boss Neal Ardley was left to reflect on what might have been after a mistake by defender Tyler Cordner led to Humphrys’ goal and captain Lenell John-Lewis missed two great chances to force a replay late on.

“I thought our game-plan went really well,” Ardley said. “We wanted to still be in the tie after 70 minutes and then look to bring the two wingers off the bench.

“But the outcome has been settled by one mistimed header. It just came down to that one moment and, then, Lenny (John-Lewis) had two great chances that haven’t gone in and, if we were going to get through tonight, we had to be mistake free and take our chances when they came.

“But the effort of the players and their execution of the game-plan was really good because a team who are causing problems for a lot of teams in League One struggled to break us down.

“We nearly nicked an equaliser after throwing caution to the wind and people will say why didn’t you start like that? But it doesn’t work like that.”

Related items

  • Hazard 'bit sad' with Chelsea decision to sack Pochettino Hazard 'bit sad' with Chelsea decision to sack Pochettino

    Eden Hazard "was a bit sad" to see Chelsea part company with head coach Mauricio Pochettino after just one season in charge.

    Pochettino left Chelsea by mutual consent last week after a trophyless campaign and a sixth-place finish in the Premier League.

    Chelsea great Hazard, who spent seven years at Stamford Bridge, believes the former Tottenham boss deserved more time.

    "I was a bit sad," he told talkSPORT. "I think he did a great job. I know people want Chelsea to be in the top four but it’s a season of transition. 

    "He's a great manager. I wish him good luck and let's see who is going to be there in the future."

    Chelsea are reported to have whittled their shortlist to four names - Thomas Frank, Kieran McKenna, Roberto De Zerbi and Enzo Maresca

    However, Hazard cheekily suggested that former Chelsea team-mate Cesc Fabregas could be an option for the Blues.

    Fabregas is working as an assistant manager with Italian side Como and helped guide them to Serie A promotion this season.

    Asked about possible contenders for the job, Hazard said: "I have my friend in Como. He can be the first manager."

  • Inzaghi 'not worried' about Lautaro future ahead of meeting new Inter owners Inzaghi 'not worried' about Lautaro future ahead of meeting new Inter owners

    Simone Inzaghi says he is "not worried" about Lautaro Martinez's future, with the Inter skipper yet to sign a new contract at San Siro.

    The Argentina international, who is under contract until 2026, was the top scorer in Serie A with 24 goals, as the Nerazzurri claimed their 20th Scudetto after finishing 19 points clear of second-place Milan.

    Inter are now under new ownership with American firm Oaktree completing their takeover of the club from Suning last week.

    The future of Lautaro will be high on the agenda when Inzaghi meets with the new owners this week, with the skipper's salary demands reportedly delaying negotiations, but the head coach is confident the situation will be resolved.

    "I am not worried because I know the club," he said. "Although the owners have changed, the directors have maintained continuity and will continue to do so."

    Inter concluded a memorable campaign with a 2-2 draw at Verona on Sunday, with Marko Arnautovic's double securing a point, and Inzaghi saluted his players' efforts.

    "We didn't hide ourselves this season," he said. "We said our objective was the second star. We wanted it so badly, knowing that the other four, five, or six contenders wanted the same. We were the best in Italy."

    When asked if the Champions League was the club's main target next season, he added: "We know what it means to play so many games. We know it won't be easy, but we'll prepare in the best way."

  • Guardiola 'pretty sure' Grealish will return to peak form Guardiola 'pretty sure' Grealish will return to peak form

    Pep Guardiola is "pretty sure" Jack Grealish will return to his form of old in a Manchester City shirt after an underwhelming 2023-24 campaign.

    Grealish was one of the poster boys of City's remarkable treble-winning campaign last year, but he struggled for starts this time around.

    The 28-year-old was an unused substitute in the FA Cup final loss to Manchester United and did not feature at all in City's final four games.

    Jeremy Doku, who joined last August, was instead preferred from the bench at Wembley and scored for City in their 2-1 defeat.

    However, Guardiola believes City's club-record signing will return to his best next season.

    "He will be back," Guardiola said. "He’s struggled this season and Jeremy has made an incredible step forward as everyone has seen. 

    "But Jack will be back at the level of last season, I'm pretty sure."

    City became the first club in English football to win four top-flight titles in a row, but they fell short in the Champions League and FA Cup, as well as the EFL Cup.

    Star midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has just one year to run on his contract, while others - goalkeeper Ederson among them - have been linked with a move away.

    The reigning Premier League champions will also no doubt be looking to bring in new players as they prepare to defend their title once again.

    "I know some players have to take a decision on whether they stay with us and some players might come," Guardiola said after the defeat to fierce rivals United.

    "My sporting director says everything is fine for next year but right now, I don't know what might happen."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.