Ruben Selles demands more from Reading despite huge win

By Sports Desk November 28, 2023

Reading manager Ruben Selles admitted his side could still do better after their 5-1 thrashing of Carlisle lifted them off the bottom of League One.

An own goal from Carlisle skipper Sam Lavelle had given Reading the lead and although Luke Plange quickly levelled, a double from Harvey Knibbs gave the hosts a healthy 3-1 lead at the break.

Carlisle improved in the second half but fine finishes from Lewis Wing and Femi Azeez late on sealed Reading’s second league win in succession.

“The result was good and to score that amount of goals is always difficult in football matches,” Selles said.

“But I still think that we can do better. I still think that the worst part of our games is that, after we score the first goal, then we need to control things more.

“Yet we are in a much better position than we were a month ago. Those moments in which we have conceded, we didn’t do that today or last weekend [in the 2-1 win at Wycombe].

“As a collective, the team looks like we are all learning to manage those moments. We have the potential to score goals and compete against any team in League One.

“In the end, it was a pleasure to have a calm last part of the game.

“We knew that when the other team was trying to chase, we knew that we would be able to find the spaces to counter-attack.”

Carlisle are now without a win in four league games.

“My impression from watching back the first-half goals, we just haven’t done the real basic things properly,” manager Paul Simpson said.

“We were trying to be clever in midfield instead of just turning Reading around.

“We were not clearing our lines, we were missing tackles, we were not communicating.

“I don’t think that you need to be a really good footballer to do all those things better than we did tonight. And we just got punished for it.

“I thought that we started the game brightly. It looked as though it was a game in which we had an opportunity to get something out of. But we allowed it to run away from us.

“I thought that we started the second half brightly as well. To be fair, though, their fourth goal [by Wing] was a really good strike.

“But their fifth goal was really simple. A straight run down the middle and we allowed it to happen.

“So it all ends up being a massive disappointment for us. But we’ve just got to move on.

“Defensively, in the first half, it worried me. Without a doubt. There was just too many simple mistakes, you just can’t do those things.”

Related items

  • Lasse Sorensen scores stunner as in-form Lincoln ease past Shrewsbury Lasse Sorensen scores stunner as in-form Lincoln ease past Shrewsbury

    Lasse Sorensen scored a goal of the season contender as in-form Lincoln stretched their unbeaten League One run to nine matches with a 3-0 defeat of Shrewsbury.

    The Danish full-back found the top corner from the right touchline to add to earlier efforts from Teddy Bishop and Reeco Hackett as the Imps emphatically tamed the Shrews at Sincil Bank.

    Chey Dunkley poked an early effort wide for Shrewsbury before City went down the other end and took the lead.

    Hackett’s corner was headed back across goal by Paudie O’Connor to Joe Taylor, whose shot was blocked, with the rebound falling to Hackett whose effort was then kept out, only for Bishop to find the net.

    Bishop curled a 20-yard free-kick just over and then Hackett missed a golden chance to double City’s lead nine minutes into the second half, drilling wide when put through by Ethan Erhahon.

    Hackett made amends just four minutes later, though, smashing a left-footed shot into the top corner following a delightful back-heeled pass from Taylor.

    Hackett and Taylor were thwarted by Shrews goalkeeper Harry Burgoyne within a few seconds and then Sorensen drove into the side-netting as City went for the jugular.

    A third inevitably came after 67 minutes with an incredible effort from Sorensen.

    The hosts had won a penalty after Ben House was brought down by Burgoyne.

    Bishop struck a post from the spot, with the ball rebounding out to Sorensen on the right wing. The Dane instinctively let fly, with the ball arcing into the top left-hand corner of the net.

    Taylor Perry finally had the Shrews’ first shot on target after 70 minutes but Lukas Jensen produced a routine save.

  • Beryly Lubala scores stunner as Wycombe leave it late to beat Cheltenham Beryly Lubala scores stunner as Wycombe leave it late to beat Cheltenham

    Beryly Lubala’s stunning strike sealed a 2-0 victory for Wycombe over struggling Cheltenham that eased fears of them being dragged deeper into the scrap against relegation.

    The Chairboys were frustrated for most of the night by a superb performance by Robins goalkeeper Luke Southwood, but they were eventually able to record their first win in four games in League One.

    Wycombe dominated the first half, with Kieran Sadlier drawing a good save from Southwood, who later tipped a fizzing volley from Dale Taylor on to the top of the bar.

    The 26-year-old continued to frustrate the hosts after half-time when he saved Freddie Potts’ penalty before he got down brilliantly to push Garath McCleary’s low drive wide.

    But he was finally beaten with five minutes left when Joe Low was on hand to blast in from close range after McCleary’s corner caused havoc in the six-yard box.

    Lubala then sealed the win three minutes later when Luke Leahy rolled the ball into his path and he unleashed a thunderbolt that gave Southwood, for so long unbeatable, no chance.

  • Jayden Stockley’s late double snatches Fleetwood an unlikely point at Port Vale Jayden Stockley’s late double snatches Fleetwood an unlikely point at Port Vale

    Substitute Jayden Stockley scored two late goals as Fleetwood came from 2-0 down to snatch a 2-2 draw with fellow Sky Bet League One strugglers Port Vale.

    Darren Moore looked on course to celebrate his first win as Vale manager as the Valiants looked comfortable with only two minutes remaining.

    Instead, it is now four games without a win for Moore since he replaced Andy Crosby.

    Stockley, who also scored in the Cod Army’s 3-0 success over Vale earlier this month, pulled a goal back in the 88th minute.

    And two minutes into stoppage time he headed in Phoenix Patterson’s corner to earn the visitors the unlikeliest of points.

    Moore has now presided over three defeats and a draw, but first-half goals from Jensen Weir and Ethan Chislett suggested it might be fourth time lucky.

    Brighton loanee Weir opened his account with an 18th-minute strike from teenager Baylee Dipepa’s assist.

    Fleetwood were second best as Chislett won a contentious 42nd-minute penalty which he converted for his ninth goal of the campaign.

    The visitors bossed the second half, however, and super-sub Stockley came to their rescue.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.