Leyton Orient head coach Richie Wellens wanted more from Bristol Rovers draw

By Sports Desk November 28, 2023

Leyton Orient head coach Richie Wellens believed that his side warranted the three points after their 1-1 draw against Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium.

Rovers took the lead in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage time through Grant Ward, and Wellens was not happy with how his side defended the set-piece.

Orient did dominate possession and territory however, if unable to fashion chances, finishing the match with only two shots on target.

Their last-gasp equaliser was an own goal by Rovers defender Tristan Crama.

“The set-up is poor on our part. We shouldn’t be letting good players have a strike from the edge of the box but then we weren’t really in any danger,” said Wellens.

“I remember watching the second half and I don’t remember looking right, it was always in their half. Our football was smooth, that system really suited us but we just need to make more clever and unselfish runs to pick up space.

“Then apart from when we went to 1-1 and Browny (Jordan Brown) headed back and Marquis ran onto it we weren’t really in any danger.

“The performance was such that we deserved the three points.”

Andy Mangan, interim Bristol Rovers manager, explained that his side are being affected by the ongoing managerial situation following the sacking of Joey Barton.

Mangan said that he recognises that the players are not playing freely currently, after they took the lead through Ward but were unable to keep a second clean sheet in four league games.

“I’m gutted for the lads. We’ve dropped deeper and deeper and they keep getting balls in there and one has dropped for them. The goal should stand. The officials haven’t done anything wrong there,” he explained.

“The lads were nervy at that point (late in the game). They’re desperate to do well for the staff. But balls keep coming into the box and you have to see it out. In these winter months you’re going to see games like that.

“I can’t be any prouder of the players – they’re desperate for the staff to stay and they can’t give any more.

“I thought Leyton Orient were decent tonight. We’re not firing on all cylinders at the moment, which is completely understandable. They’re not playing free at the moment, with the situation going on at the moment.

“Everyone knows what’s happening at the club: are the staff going to stay or are they going to go? It’s a difficult situation.

“All I can say is that it’s been a wonderful experience and I’ve got nothing but thanks for the owners. All I can do is be thankful for the opportunity (to manage the club since Barton left).”

Related items

  • Stevenage move back into the play-off places with victory over Cambridge Stevenage move back into the play-off places with victory over Cambridge

    Jordan Roberts scored the only goal as Stevenage edged past managerless Cambridge to move back into the play-off places in Sky Bet League One.

    Roberts put the hosts in front 10 minutes before the break, firing past U’s goalkeeper Jack Stevens from the edge of the box.

    But Stevenage’s opener could have come earlier had it not been for Stevens saving Cambridge on two occasions.

    The first stop came after Jamie Reid raced away before Kane Hemmings’ header forced Stevens to parry a second chance.

    Boro finally took the lead when Roberts collected the ball and struck on the swivel for his fifth league goal of the season in the 35th minute.

    Cambridge, who saw manager Neil Harris depart for Millwall last week, managed to get a foothold in the second half and Jack Lankester hit a volley just over the crossbar.

    But Stevenage held on for a vital boost to their play-off hopes, reclaiming a place in the top six after a second successive 1-0 home win.

  • Ollie O’Neill scores only goal as Leyton Orient boost League One play-off hopes Ollie O’Neill scores only goal as Leyton Orient boost League One play-off hopes

    Leyton Orient kept their Sky Bet League One play-off hopes alive as Ollie O’Neill scored the only goal in the 1-0 victory over Blackpool.

    Both teams battled hard in the opening half in a vain attempt to gain supremacy without managing to break down resilient defences.

    The visitors almost nosed ahead after 11 minutes when Karamoko Dembele raided down the right side and delivered a cross into the box that just eluded Jake Beesley.

    At the opposite end, Orient striker Shaq Forde raced clear but instead of shooting for goal, he opted to overhit a pass which gave the Tangerines chance to retreat.

    The second half was just seven minutes old when O’Neill opened the scoring. Collecting a pass from Ruel Sotiriou he drilled a left-footed shot into the far corner to record his third goal since joining from Fulham in January.

    Blackpool’s woes continued when, shortly afterwards, substitute Andrew Lyons pulled up whilst chasing the ball and was carried off the pitch on a stretcher.

    The visitors failed to manage a shot on target in the second period as Orient’s defence, superbly marshalled by Brandon Cooper, comfortably protected their lead.

  • Bolton suffer setback as Stephen Humphrys and Wigan complete double Bolton suffer setback as Stephen Humphrys and Wigan complete double

    Bolton suffered a huge blow to their promotion hopes as Wigan completed a Sky Bet League One double over their neighbours thanks to a Stephen Humphrys goal at the DW Stadium.

    Bolton created the first chance when Paris Maghoma burst his way past Luke Chambers only to be denied by Sam Tickle.

    The visitors were then hampered by the loss of Carlos Mendes Gomes to injury in pretty innocuous fashion, but they continued to boss proceedings.

    And defender Eoin Toal had two great chances, heading over from a right-wing cross before seeing a long-range strike well saved by Tickle.

    The second half was the same story as Nathaniel Ogbeta’s shot was tipped round the post by Tickle, who then turned away a dangerous free-kick by Josh Sheehan.

    At this point, Wigan had not registered an attempt on goal, but that changed on 69 minutes when substitute Humphrys – who had scored twice in August’s 4-0 away win – played a one-two with Chambers before prodding the ball under Joel Coleman.

    Wigan had chances to kill off the game too, with Thelo Aasgaard’s volley forcing a brilliant save from Coleman before another substitute, Martial Godo, poked the ball just wide.

    Bolton had a great chance to level with two minutes to go, only for Ricardo Santos to head wide from four yards, with most of the players on the pitch being embroiled in a melee on the full-time whistle.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.