Oxford make perfect start under caretaker Craig Short with win at Leyton Orient

By Sports Desk November 11, 2023

Oxford secured their sixth away win in Sky Bet League One as a 3-2 triumph at Leyton Orient gave interim manager Craig Short the perfect start.

A brace from Ruben Rodrigues and one from Billy Bodin proved decisive, with the hosts replying with a Fin Stevens own goal and a strike from Ruel Sotiriou.

A howler by Sol Brynn presented the visitors – who saw boss Liam Manning take over at Bristol City this week – with the opening goal. The goalkeeper’s intended clearance was directed straight to Rodrigues, who drove the ball into an empty net.

Then in the second minute of first-half stoppage time, Rodrigues struck a post but the ball fell to Bodin, who headed the ball into the net from 15 yards out with Brynn stranded.

Within two minutes of the start of the second half, Oxford extended their advantage when Orient failed to clear a corner and Rodrigues scored from close range in the 47th minute before the home side began their revival a minute later.

A teasing Tom James cross was turned into his own net by Stevens and then, in the 64th minute, Sotiriou volleyed home a header by Aaron Drinan before Dan Happe was denied an equaliser when his header struck a post.

Despite coming under sustained pressure, the U’s held out to maintain their automatic promotion quest.

Related items

  • Jayden Stockley’s late double snatches Fleetwood an unlikely point at Port Vale Jayden Stockley’s late double snatches Fleetwood an unlikely point at Port Vale

    Substitute Jayden Stockley scored two late goals as Fleetwood came from 2-0 down to snatch a 2-2 draw with fellow Sky Bet League One strugglers Port Vale.

    Darren Moore looked on course to celebrate his first win as Vale manager as the Valiants looked comfortable with only two minutes remaining.

    Instead, it is now four games without a win for Moore since he replaced Andy Crosby.

    Stockley, who also scored in the Cod Army’s 3-0 success over Vale earlier this month, pulled a goal back in the 88th minute.

    And two minutes into stoppage time he headed in Phoenix Patterson’s corner to earn the visitors the unlikeliest of points.

    Moore has now presided over three defeats and a draw, but first-half goals from Jensen Weir and Ethan Chislett suggested it might be fourth time lucky.

    Brighton loanee Weir opened his account with an 18th-minute strike from teenager Baylee Dipepa’s assist.

    Fleetwood were second best as Chislett won a contentious 42nd-minute penalty which he converted for his ninth goal of the campaign.

    The visitors bossed the second half, however, and super-sub Stockley came to their rescue.

  • Karoy Anderson’s first senior goal secures shock Charlton victory at Derby Karoy Anderson’s first senior goal secures shock Charlton victory at Derby

    Teenager Karoy Anderson scored his first senior goal earned Charlton a shock 2-1 win at promotion-chasing Derby.

    Eiran Cashin put Derby ahead but Alfie May scored from the penalty spot before 19-year-old Anderson sealed Charlton’s first win since November.

    Derby dominated from the start, but did not have a shot until the 25th minute when Korey Smith fired wide from the edge of the box.

    Charlton did well to frustrate the hosts, but they fell behind to a set-piece in the 39th minute.

    Nathaniel Mendez-Laing swung over a corner and Cashin got in front of a defender to head in at the near post.

    Charlton should have equalised in the 61st minute when substitute Chuks Aneke headed a corner against the crossbar, but they were level four minutes later.

    Home goalkeeper Joe Wildsmith brought down Daniel Kanu and May stroked the penalty into the bottom right corner.

    Charlton stunned Derby in the 80th minute when a mistake by Ebou Adams let Kanu in and although Wildsmith saved, Anderson smashed the rebound home.

  • Lasse Sorensen screamer caps Lincoln win over Shrewsbury Lasse Sorensen screamer caps Lincoln win over Shrewsbury

    Lasse Sorensen scored a goal of the season contender as in-form Lincoln stretched their unbeaten League One run to nine matches with a 3-0 defeat of Shrewsbury.

    The Danish full-back found the top corner from the right touchline to add to earlier efforts from Teddy Bishop and Reeco Hackett as the Imps emphatically tamed the Shrews at Sincil Bank.

    Chey Dunkley poked an early effort wide for Shrewsbury, before City went down the other end and Hackett’s corner created the opener.

    Joe Taylor’s shot was blocked, with the rebound falling to Hackett whose effort was then kept out, only for Bishop to fire his effort into the bottom corner.

    Bishop curled a 20-yard free-kick just over and then Hackett missed a golden chance to double City’s lead nine minutes into the second half, drilling wide when put through by Ethan Erhahon.

    Hackett made amends just four minutes later, though, smashing a left-footed shot into the top corner following a delightful back-heeled pass from Taylor.

    Both Hackett and Taylor were thwarted by Harry Burgoyne within a few seconds and then Sorensen drove into the side-netting as City went for the jugular.

    A third inevitably came after 67 minutes with an incredible effort from Sorensen. The hosts had won a penalty after House was brought down by Burgoyne. Bishop struck a post from the spot, with the ball rebounding out to Sorensen on the right wing. The Dane instinctively let fly, with the ball arcing into the top left-hand corner of the net.

    Taylor Perry finally had the Shrews’ first shot on target after 70 minutes, but Lukas Jensen produced a routine save.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.