Ian Evatt impressed with Bolton’s defending in win over Shrewsbury

By Sports Desk November 07, 2023

Bolton boss Ian Evatt was pleased with how his side defended after a 2-0 win over Shrewsbury made it four consecutive League One away victories.

The triumph helped the Trotters pile the pressure on second-placed Oxford, with whom they are now level on points.

It was a game of few chances for both sides, but the visitors were the more clinical.

Paris Maghoma’s long-range effort trickled through the palms of the injured Marko Marosi and Aaron Morley confirmed all three points after he found the bottom corner in additional time.

Evatt said: “This is a tough place to come, they are a big physical strong team, every player coming on is my size.

“I thought we defended set-plays superbly well. We are not going to have it our own way all the time; we have to be patient.

“They set up in a good shape, made it difficult for us, difficult to play through, they frustrated us at times, but back to what we spoke about in previous years, they cannot do it for 90 minutes.

“I thought we just started to get them fatigued and started to take over when the first goal came. Then we had to dig deep, and this group can dig deep; they are capable of that, and they showed that tonight.

“They have won their last four home games and not conceded many goals, so to get the victory is really pleasing.

“It is quite a heavy pitch and lots of bobbles, so when we are trying to be precise with our passing, particularly the final third, some of our fast connections against a deep low block couldn’t quite come off at times, but the players didn’t get frustrated.”

Shrewsbury suffered a third consecutive league loss.

Boss Matt Taylor said: “The performance was good up until an error which is uncharacteristic for Marko.

“He has been brilliant since I have been here, and he has been a fantastic servant to the football club and that changed the game.

“The first goal in this league is hugely important, so they go on and we give away a second goal slightly naively.

“For large parts, we were excellent out of possession. We, of course, always want to be better with the ball, but in terms of effort and performance, really good.

“Up until that point (Marosi’s error), we dominated in terms of final third entries, corners and in terms of the areas of the pitch we want to be in.

“We haven’t made them territory advantages count, but we are playing against one of the best and biggest clubs in the league.”

Related items

  • Lasse Sorensen scores stunner as in-form Lincoln ease past Shrewsbury Lasse Sorensen scores stunner as in-form Lincoln ease past Shrewsbury

    Lasse Sorensen scored a goal of the season contender as in-form Lincoln stretched their unbeaten League One run to nine matches with a 3-0 defeat of Shrewsbury.

    The Danish full-back found the top corner from the right touchline to add to earlier efforts from Teddy Bishop and Reeco Hackett as the Imps emphatically tamed the Shrews at Sincil Bank.

    Chey Dunkley poked an early effort wide for Shrewsbury before City went down the other end and took the lead.

    Hackett’s corner was headed back across goal by Paudie O’Connor to Joe Taylor, whose shot was blocked, with the rebound falling to Hackett whose effort was then kept out, only for Bishop to find the net.

    Bishop curled a 20-yard free-kick just over and then Hackett missed a golden chance to double City’s lead nine minutes into the second half, drilling wide when put through by Ethan Erhahon.

    Hackett made amends just four minutes later, though, smashing a left-footed shot into the top corner following a delightful back-heeled pass from Taylor.

    Hackett and Taylor were thwarted by Shrews goalkeeper Harry Burgoyne within a few seconds and then Sorensen drove into the side-netting as City went for the jugular.

    A third inevitably came after 67 minutes with an incredible effort from Sorensen.

    The hosts had won a penalty after Ben House was brought down by Burgoyne.

    Bishop struck a post from the spot, with the ball rebounding out to Sorensen on the right wing. The Dane instinctively let fly, with the ball arcing into the top left-hand corner of the net.

    Taylor Perry finally had the Shrews’ first shot on target after 70 minutes but Lukas Jensen produced a routine save.

  • Beryly Lubala scores stunner as Wycombe leave it late to beat Cheltenham Beryly Lubala scores stunner as Wycombe leave it late to beat Cheltenham

    Beryly Lubala’s stunning strike sealed a 2-0 victory for Wycombe over struggling Cheltenham that eased fears of them being dragged deeper into the scrap against relegation.

    The Chairboys were frustrated for most of the night by a superb performance by Robins goalkeeper Luke Southwood, but they were eventually able to record their first win in four games in League One.

    Wycombe dominated the first half, with Kieran Sadlier drawing a good save from Southwood, who later tipped a fizzing volley from Dale Taylor on to the top of the bar.

    The 26-year-old continued to frustrate the hosts after half-time when he saved Freddie Potts’ penalty before he got down brilliantly to push Garath McCleary’s low drive wide.

    But he was finally beaten with five minutes left when Joe Low was on hand to blast in from close range after McCleary’s corner caused havoc in the six-yard box.

    Lubala then sealed the win three minutes later when Luke Leahy rolled the ball into his path and he unleashed a thunderbolt that gave Southwood, for so long unbeatable, no chance.

  • Jayden Stockley’s late double snatches Fleetwood an unlikely point at Port Vale Jayden Stockley’s late double snatches Fleetwood an unlikely point at Port Vale

    Substitute Jayden Stockley scored two late goals as Fleetwood came from 2-0 down to snatch a 2-2 draw with fellow Sky Bet League One strugglers Port Vale.

    Darren Moore looked on course to celebrate his first win as Vale manager as the Valiants looked comfortable with only two minutes remaining.

    Instead, it is now four games without a win for Moore since he replaced Andy Crosby.

    Stockley, who also scored in the Cod Army’s 3-0 success over Vale earlier this month, pulled a goal back in the 88th minute.

    And two minutes into stoppage time he headed in Phoenix Patterson’s corner to earn the visitors the unlikeliest of points.

    Moore has now presided over three defeats and a draw, but first-half goals from Jensen Weir and Ethan Chislett suggested it might be fourth time lucky.

    Brighton loanee Weir opened his account with an 18th-minute strike from teenager Baylee Dipepa’s assist.

    Fleetwood were second best as Chislett won a contentious 42nd-minute penalty which he converted for his ninth goal of the campaign.

    The visitors bossed the second half, however, and super-sub Stockley came to their rescue.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.