EPL

Spurs forward Son Heung-min says transfer speculation ‘not easy’ for Harry Kane

By Sports Desk July 24, 2023

Tottenham attacker Son Heung-min feels the ongoing speculation surrounding Harry Kane is “not easy” for his team-mate, but has praised the professionalism of Spurs’ stand-in captain.

Son and Kane have landed in Singapore for the final leg of their Asia-Pacific pre-season tour after an eventful few days in Bangkok.

Monsoon weather saw Tottenham’s friendly with Leicester cancelled on Sunday and a day earlier a journalist from German publication BILD had unveiled a Bayern Munich shirt with ‘Kane 9’ on the back to new Spurs head coach Ange Postecoglou in his pre-match press conference.

Postecoglou was far from impressed but the noise around Kane shows no sign of going away, with Bayern expected to return with a third bid later this month and reports overnight stating Manchester United could enter the race again for the signature of the forward.

Kane, who is performing captain duties during Tottenham’s tour after Hugo Lloris was left back in England to finalise a move away from the club, has been hailed by his long-standing strike partner.

“Harry has been fantastic for me,” Son told reporters, via football.london, in Bangkok. “He’s always professional, always working hard.

“He’s never showed any thoughts about himself. There’s so much news going around it’s also not easy for him, but he’s captain at the moment and he’s working with the team.

“He doesn’t show any distraction. He loves being here. I love him as a player. I fully respect him.

“He’s one of the best strikers in the world, has been for five, six, seven years in a row. The decision will be between the club and Harry and we have to respect it.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Tottenham Hotspur (@spursofficial)

 

“I can’t say anything about the final decision because I don’t know anything. Probably Harry doesn’t know. We just have to wait.”

Kane has entered the final 12 months of his contract at Tottenham and Bayern have increased their efforts to sign the forward this month, with their honorary president Uli Hoeness claiming last week that personal terms had been agreed between the German club and the England captain.

Bayern are reported to have lodged two unsuccessful bids for Kane so far this summer, but Spurs remain determined to keep hold of their all-time leading goal-scorer.

A new contract has been offered to Kane by Tottenham, which is a significant increase on his current £200,000-a-week terms, but he has not made any decision on the new deal while speculation over his future continues.

Spurs are set to play local team Lion City Sailors in Singapore on Wednesday before they head back to England.

Related items

  • Sheffield United condemn racist abuse sent to Mason Holgate after red card Sheffield United condemn racist abuse sent to Mason Holgate after red card

    Sheffield United have condemned the racist abuse received by Mason Holgate in the wake of Sunday’s game against Brighton.

    Holgate was sent off in the 13th minute for a reckless thigh-high challenge on Kaoru Mitoma, with the VAR advising referee Stuart Attwell to upgrade an initial yellow card to red.

    Brighton went on to win 5-0 at Bramall Lane and Holgate subsequently received racist abuse on social media which he has shared on his Instagram account.

    “I can only apologise for letting my team-mates, club + fans down on the weekend & have done so this week personally,” Holgate wrote.

    “However, the last 48 hours have been difficult to take… the constant racist abuse across my social media… here are some of the messages!

    “As a sport + society we need to do more and there needs to be consequences for Racism!”

    Holgate’s club said in a statement: “Sheffield United condemn, in the strongest possible terms, the racist abuse received by Mason Holgate following Sunday’s Premier League fixture against Brighton and Hove Albion.

    “We will support Mason and applaud him bringing this to light on social media. The club will work with relevant bodies to investigate. There is no room for racism in our game.”

  • Another ACL injury at Chelsea with Mia Fishel set for lengthy spell on sidelines Another ACL injury at Chelsea with Mia Fishel set for lengthy spell on sidelines

    Chelsea striker Mia Fishel will be out for a significant period after sustaining an ACL injury while on international duty with the United States.

    The 22-year-old is the second Blues player to pick up such an injury this year after striker Sam Kerr was ruled out in January.

    Fishel signed from Mexican side Tigres in the summer and has scored once in 10 Women’s Super League appearances this season.

    In a statement the club said: “Mia will be assessed by a specialist in the coming days and will then begin her rehabilitation with the club’s medical team at Cobham.

    “Everyone at Chelsea would like to wish Mia the very best for her recovery.”

    Emma Hayes’ defending WSL champions were beaten 1-0 by Manchester City on Friday and now lead the table only on goals scored.

  • Ilkay Gundogan: Change of manager makes Napoli tougher proposition for Barcelona Ilkay Gundogan: Change of manager makes Napoli tougher proposition for Barcelona

    Ilkay Gundogan believes Barcelona face a “harder” test against Napoli following the Italian club’s change of manager.

    The Serie A champions sacked Walter Mazzarri on Monday and immediately brought in former coach Francesco Calzona until the end of the season.

    His debut in the dugout comes at home to Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 clash on Wednesday night.

    Speaking to La Vanguardia, Gundogan said: “This is what the Champions League is all about, making big demands.

    “I love this kind of pressure. Every game starts from zero. The fact they have just changed managers won’t make it any easier for us. If anything, it makes it even harder.

    “There are other teams in the competition with more of a chance and better experience, but if we can reach the quarter finals, we are entering special territory. I am a realist, but I also know it’s difficult for everybody.”

    Barcelona will see their boss Xavi leave the club at the end of the season.

    The 44-year-old confirmed the news last month, with Barca falling behind rivals Real Madrid and Girona at the top of the LaLiga table.

    Gundogan, who joined the club from Manchester City last summer after completing the treble, admitted he “didn’t expect” Xavi to leave.

    He said: “Xavi played a huge role in me coming to Barcelona. If our conversations had gone another way, I wouldn’t be here.

    “He made the difference and I’m grateful for that. I didn’t expect him to announce he was leaving at the end of the season, but I respect his decision.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by FC Barcelona (@fcbarcelona)

     

    “He should get a lot of credit. He thinks about his family, the players and the club before himself. Xavi loves Barca.”

    Despite their struggles in the league, Xavi steered Barcelona to top spot in Champions League Group H.

    Napoli finished second to Madrid in Group C and are also having a far from happy time of things domestically.

    They lie ninth in Serie A and have won just twice in their last eight league games.

    Barcelona have Joao Felix and Sergi Roberto fit again after spells on the sidelines.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.