EPL

Arne Slot chooses to remain with Feyenoord as Tottenham manager search goes on

By Sports Desk May 25, 2023

Tottenham target Arne Slot has committed to staying at Feyenoord for another season.

The Dutchman had reportedly become a leading contender to replace Antonio Conte at Spurs following a fine campaign where he led the Rotterdam club to the Eredivisie title.

Talks between Slot’s management and Feyenoord took place this week but it has been agreed the 44-year-old will stay at De Kuip.

Slot told AD Sport: “I have heard a lot about the interest of other clubs in me. I am grateful for the appreciation, but my wish is to stay with Feyenoord and continue to build on the foundation that has been laid there over the past two seasons.

“There are no transfer talks going on and there have not been any and yesterday’s discussion was only about a possible extension.

“All conversations with Feyenoord are only focused on that. I look forward to the new season at Feyenoord.”

Slot is the latest manager to be ruled out of the vacant head coach role at Spurs after Xabi Alonso did similar last week when he pledged his future to Bayer Leverkusen despite links to the Premier League club.

Earlier this month ex-Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann was deemed to no longer be viewed a candidate by Tottenham to replace Conte, the PA news agency understands.

Vincent Kompany is another manager linked with the post to have committed his future to his current club after he signed a new five-year deal with Burnley at the beginning of May.

Spurs’ search for a new head coach is now starting to draw parallels with their 2021 hunt for Jose Mourinho’s successor where they needed 72 days before they decided to hire Nuno Espirito Santo, who had been out of work for six weeks.

Friday will mark two months since Conte departed Tottenham and the club appear no closer to his replacement with chairman Daniel Levy seeking to find a new head coach and managing director of football following the resignation of Fabio Paratici last month.

Related items

  • Football rumours: Man Utd and PSG leading summer pursuit of Victor Osimhen Football rumours: Man Utd and PSG leading summer pursuit of Victor Osimhen
    What the papers say

    Manchester United and Paris St Germain have emerged as the frontrunners to land the signature of Victor Osimhen in the summer. According to The Independent, Chelsea and Arsenal are also interested in the Napoli forward.

    The Telegraph reports Newcastle are edging closer to inking a new deal with midfielder Joelinton. The 27-year-old has little over a year left on his current deal, but the two parties are believed to be on similar terms with negotiations proving productive thus far.

    Tottenham have reportedly taken an interest in Sporting Lisbon midfielder Morten Hjulmand. The Sun, citing Portuguese paper Record, says Spurs sent scouts to watch the Denmark international in action as Sporting beat rivals Benfica 2-1 last Thursday, with a view to a potential summer move for the 24-year-old.

    And the i says Newcastle intend to send 19-year-old winger Yankuba Minteh out on loan for a second successive season. Minteh has been at Dutch side Feyenoord this season.

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Alphonso Davies: Real Madrid are willing to offer as much as £43m for the Bayern Munich defender, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    Archie Brown: HITC reports Chelsea, Leeds and West Ham are all monitoring the English defender, currently playing for Belgian side Gent.

  • Mikel Arteta celebrates ‘great night’ as ruthless Arsenal demolish Blades Mikel Arteta celebrates ‘great night’ as ruthless Arsenal demolish Blades

    Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta described his side’s 6-0 thrashing of Sheffield United as “a great night” as they climbed to within two points of leaders Liverpool.

    The Gunners dominated from start to finish against a Blades team who looked well beaten after Martin Odegaard, Jayden Bogle’s own goal and Gabriel Martinelli had put them 3-0 behind inside 13 minutes.

    Kai Havertz and Declan Rice put the irrepressible Londoners 5-0 ahead at half-time and Ben White crashed home their sixth before the hour mark.

    Arteta, whose side’s seventh straight league victory saw them become the first English league side to win three consecutive away games by five or more goals, said: “It was a great night.

    “The way we started made a difference. We were really aggressive and positive and we showed real quality in the final third to take the game into a great position for us.

    “Then we maintained the rhythm, maintained the hunger and I love that about the team.”

    Arsenal struck their fifth goal in the 39th minute, the earliest an away side has had a five-goal margin in Premier League history.

    But Arteta warned his side they cannot afford to drop any points between now and the end of the season if they are to pip Liverpool and Manchester City to the title.

    “The fact that we’re scoring many goals and not conceding is a great sign, but it’s about winning every game now,” the Spaniard said.

    “That’s the demands these two teams have set over the past few years and that’s the task ahead of us.”

    Arteta confirmed Bukayo Saka was withdrawn at half-time due to illness, while Martinelli was replaced by Gabriel Jesus in the 64th minute after cutting his foot.

    “We need to wait and see how it is,” added Arteta on Martinelli’s setback, which was the only downside to the evening.

  • Inter Milan stretch lead at top by beating Genoa Inter Milan stretch lead at top by beating Genoa

    Inter Milan stretched their lead at the top of Serie A to 15 points after they earned a 2-1 win over Genoa at San Siro.

    After a slow opening spell, the home side soon clicked into gear and established a two-goal lead by the 38th minute through Kristjan Asllani’s strike and Alexis Sanchez’s penalty.

    Inter looked like they would go on to cruise to victory but they were soon forced to increase their concentration levels when Johan Vasquez pulled a goal back for the away team nine minutes after half-time.

    Vitinha then thought he levelled things up for Genoa but the offside flag saved Inter, who held on to stretch their winning run in Serie A to nine games.

    Inter were frustrated through the opening quarter with the hosts coming closest when Nicolo Barella pounced on Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s long ball but guided over the crossbar.

    Genoa came close to breaking the deadlock after Stefano Sabelli’s cross was powerfully headed towards goal by Mateo Retegui but Yann Sommer saved. The rebound fell into the path of Albert Gudmundsson who diverted wide.

    Inter had the breakthrough on the half-hour mark when Sanchez’s through ball found Asllani, who smashed emphatically into the roof of the net to make it 1-0.

    The hosts had a chance to double their lead when Lautaro Martinez picked out Barella, who was adjudged to have been fouled inside the area by Morten Frendrup and a spot-kick was awarded.

    Sanchez stepped up for the penalty and powered into the right side of the net, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.

    Inter were smelling blood and could have had three when Mkhitaryan raced through on goal and let fly only to see his goalbound shot blocked by Johan Vasquez.

    Genoa had a route back into the game nine minutes after the break after Stefan de Vrij’s defensive header looped straight into the path of Vasquez who arrowed a volley into the bottom right corner.

    The visitors thought they had an equaliser when Vitinha cut inside and picked out the bottom corner but the assistant referee’s offside flag cut celebrations short with 20 minutes to go.

    Genoa came close once again but Tottenham loanee Djed Spence’s cross was glanced wide by Retegui and Inter held their nerve to edge closer to the Serie A title.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.