Benzema and Camavinga to miss Madrid's trip to Girona

By Sports Desk April 24, 2023

Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed both Karim Benzema and Eduardo Camavinga will miss Tuesday's LaLiga trip to Girona.

However, Ancelotti expects the pair to be available again for Saturday's home game with Almeria, before Los Blancos play the Copa del Rey final against Osasuna and their Champions League semi-final with Manchester City.

David Alaba is also anticipated to be back for the Osasuna clash on May 6, having not played in the 2-0 win against Celta Vigo on Saturday.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Ancelotti ran through the players he will have missing as his team attempts to close ground on leaders Barcelona.

"Benzema and Camavinga will miss out and [Dani] Ceballos has got accumulated cards,"he said. "Camavinga lasted the game [v Celta] but then he felt some discomfort from a knock. I think they should be available for Almeria. 

"[Ferland] Mendy and Alaba won't be there either. Alaba is recovering well and I don't think he should be a problem for the Copa del Rey final."

Elaborating on Benzema's situation, Ancelotti added: "If he recovers from his knock, he'll play against Almeria.

"He's hugely important for us. He's shown a fantastic level in recent games and you keep that up by playing, not by resting. If he's fit, he wants to play and that's what we want as well."

The gap at the top of LaLiga remains 11 points with eight games to play after Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 1-0 on Sunday, and Ancelotti is keen to close that to better reflect what he believes is a true representation of how close the Clasico rivals are.

"If we're talking about the quality of the two teams, there's no way there should be 11 points between us, and that's been clear in the games we've played against each other," he said. "We're two evenly matched sides and the deficit has come about through small details. We want to cut it down."

Despite their victory against Celta, there were more concerns about the surface at the Santiago Bernabeu, which has been affected by the ongoing renovations at the famous stadium.

Marco Asensio scored and assisted in the game, but also hit a wayward shot in the second half that appeared to bobble up off the surface, and Ancelotti previously confirmed it will be replaced before they play City on May 9.

“Every team wants to play on a beautiful pitch," Ancelotti said. "We are aware of the problems we have at the Bernabeu and we won't complain.

"We're talking about something which is clear to see, our playing surface is suffering due to the ongoing works and they will fix that as soon as possible."

Related items

  • Matildas captain Kerr to miss Olympic Games Matildas captain Kerr to miss Olympic Games

    Australia captain Sam Kerr will miss the Olympic Games in Paris after failing to recover from an anterior cruciate ligament injury in time for the team's upcoming friendlies. 

    The Chelsea forward suffered the injury during a mid-season training camp in January, leaving her participation in serious doubt.

    Kerr represented the Matildas at the 2016 and 2020 Olympics, also playing at four World Cups and four Asian Cups during her international career.

    On Tuesday, Football Australia confirmed Kerr will not make the Olympic tournament – which begins on July 25 and ends on August 10 – while announcing the squad for two matches against China this month.

    "Attacker Amy Sayer (ACL) and forward Sam Kerr (ACL) remain on the sidelines with long-term injuries," a statement from the governing body said. 

    "Kerr and Sayer will continue their rehabilitation programmes in their home club environments and subsequently will not be available for selection for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games."

    Kerr, who is Australia's record scorer with 69 goals, was limited to just seven starts in the 2023-24 Women's Super League, contributing four goals and three assists for the eventual champions. 

  • Real Madrid and Germany midfielder Kroos to retire after Euro 2024 Real Madrid and Germany midfielder Kroos to retire after Euro 2024

    Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos will retire from football after representing Germany at Euro 2024.

    The 34-year-old was thought likely to sign a new contract with Los Blancos, but he announced on Tuesday that he will hang up his boots after representing his country on home soil at the Euros. 

    Kroos has enjoyed a distinguished 10-year spell with Madrid, who he joined from Bayern Munich in 2014, winning LaLiga and the Champions League four times apiece with the Spanish giants.

    He played a crucial role as Carlo Ancelotti's men regained their domestic title in 2023-24, but next week's Champions League final against Borussia Dortmund will be the final game of his club career before his Euros swansong. 

    He initially quit international football after the delayed Euro 2020 three years ago, only to agree to return to the fold under Julian Nagelsmann earlier this year.

    In an open letter to Madrid's fans, Kroos wrote: "As I have always said, Real Madrid is and will be my last club.

    "After 10 years, at the end of the season this chapter comes to an end. I will never forget this successful time! I would like to thank everyone that welcomed me with an open heart and trusted me. 

    "But especially I would like to thank you, dear Madridistas, for your affection and your love from the first day until the last one. 

    "At the same time this decision means that my career as an active footballer will end this summer after the Euro championship."

    Kroos also issued a rallying cry as Madrid target a record-extending 15th European crown, adding: "I am happy and proud that in my mind I found the right timing for my decision and that I could choose it myself. 

    "My ambition was always to finish my career at the peak of my performance levels. From now on there is only one leading thought, la 15! Hala Madrid!"

  • Earps seeking answers before making decision on Man Utd future Earps seeking answers before making decision on Man Utd future

    Mary Earps will seek answers from Manchester United regarding the club's direction before making a decision on her future, saying she has felt like a "punching bag" this season.

    Earps' contract with the Women's FA Cup winners is set to expire in June, and there have been few signs of progress concerning a new deal.

    Last year, United rejected a world-record bid for Earps, who starred as England won Euro 2022 and finished as runners-up at the 2023 World Cup.

    Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain and other clubs have been linked with Earps, and she is biding her time after enduring a difficult campaign in which her commitment to United was called into question.

    "The honest reality is that conversations are still ongoing," Earps told Sky Sports on Tuesday. "I've been clear I don't want to make an emotional decision.

    "The beginning of the season was really tough, I felt really upset about things that were being said about me and things that came out that weren't true.

    "I've tried to be professional, keep my head down, work hard, get on with my job and that's been hard. I've been a punching bag at times.

    "I know I've given my heart and soul for the whole season. It's a tough situation.

    "I've asked the club for some confirmation on what they're trying to achieve and when I have those answers I'll be able to make a decision. It's up to the club."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.