Arteta lauds Ramsdale's 'magic moments' in dramatic Anfield draw

By Sports Desk April 09, 2023

Mikel Arteta hailed Aaron Ramsdale for producing "magic moments" that could be pivotal in the Premier League title race after Arsenal's 2-2 draw at Liverpool on Sunday.

The Arsenal goalkeeper produced a trio of expert saves to deny Liverpool a late winner after Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino scored to drag the Reds back into the game from 2-0 down.

Ramsdale denied Darwin Nunez when one-on-one, superbly tipped a deflected Salah curling effort around the post and somehow thwarted Ibrahima Konate from point-blank range in the dying seconds.

Arteta likened Ramsdale's influence to the impact Alisson has had for Liverpool in recent years after the England international starred at Anfield, where Salah missed a second-half penalty.

The Arsenal manager said during his post-match press conference: "You need your goalkeeper if you want to win and be in title races. How many times has Alisson done what he has to do?

"You have to have that, you have to have those magic moments from the keeper. We had some exceptional moments from players today as well and to win at grounds like that, you need that."

The draw leaves the Gunners six points clear of second-placed Manchester City at the Premier League summit, albeit Pep Guardiola's reigning champions have a game in hand.

While Ramsdale stepped up in the decisive moments, the drew could be seen as a missed opportunity for Arsenal after Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus fired the visitors into the ascendancy.

A short trip to London rivals West Ham follows next Sunday for Arsenal, who then host strugglers Southampton before a trip to City on April 29.

Arteta acknowledged the late heartbreak of Firmino's 87th-minute leveller but backed his side to continue responding as they have done all campaign.

He added: "When you concede at the end, you always focus on dropping two points because you have it and you are suffering, but you are relying on certain moments and the feeling is 'Ah, we should have done it!'

"But being fair to ourselves, they had four big chances where they could have scored and [Salah] missed the penalty.

"We will have to look at ourselves in the mirror and we should have done much better in the second half.

"We've been responding for 31 games now. Every single day is a test and the test is now: how good are we going to be on Monday and how well are we going to prepare to beat West Ham and to play the way we want to beat West Ham."

Related items

  • Wolves stun Manchester City to end the champions’ winning run at Molineux Wolves stun Manchester City to end the champions’ winning run at Molineux

    Gutsy Wolves stunned Manchester City to pull off a shock 2-1 win and end the champions’ winning run.

    Hwang Hee-chan’s second-half winner earned the hosts a brilliant battling victory at Molineux.

    Julian Alvarez’s free-kick cancelled out Ruben Dias’ early own goal but Pep Guardiola’s side were unable to find a way back from Hwang’s strike.

    They were aiming to win their first seven Premier League games for the first time but instead were beaten by a combative and fired-up Wolves.

    Defeat puts a fresh spin on next Sunday’s trip to Arsenal, with the Gunners now a point behind the leaders, after Wednesday’s Champions League game at RB Leipzig.

    For Wolves boss Gary O’Neil it represents vindication for his methods, with the manager having come under early fire this season.

    Few, though, would have expected the result to come against City.

    Erling Haaland went close to Matheus Nunes’ cross as, predictably, the visitors dominated early but found Wolves tough to break down.

    Nunes was the obvious pantomime villain, having effectively gone on strike to force his eventual £53million deadline-day move to City from Wolves.

    So there was even more delight from the home fans when Wolves stunned Guardiola’s men after 13 minutes.

    Mateo Kovacic’s loose pass hit Phil Foden which allowed Pedro Neto to seize on the mistake and tear past Nathan Ake.

    He powered his way down the right, avoiding Ake’s desperate lunge, to race into the area and Dias deflected his cross past Ederson from close range.

    Neto remains Wolves’ man of the moment, their spark, having given Liverpool nightmares two weeks ago and scored in the 1-1 draw at Luton, but Wolves had been in this position before and faltered.

    They faded badly after a fine first half against Liverpool to lose and a promising display on O’Neil’s debut at Manchester United yielded nothing.

    Wolves needed results to back up their grit and determination but Rayan Ait-Nouri gifted Foden a way through in a sloppy moment to underline the fragile nature of their lead.

    City were left frustrated, Jeremy Doku was haphazard and Haaland engaged in a physical battle with Craig Dawson, while Foden and Nunes were ineffective.

    As expected, City had plenty of the ball but the Wolves wall stood firm and there was even a degree of control from the hosts when in possession.

    Guardiola, in the stands serving a touchline ban, had seen enough and hauled Nunes off for Oscar Bobb at the break.

    Opposite number O’Neil continued to conduct his men from the sidelines as Wolves dug in, while weak Haaland and Alvarez efforts did little to trouble Jose Sa.

    Yet the hosts’ resistance was broken after 58 minutes. Wolves were still fuming Matheus Cunha’s demands for a free-kick were turned away after a quick break.

    City went up the other end and Joao Gomes barged into the back of Bobb 20 yards out for Alvarez to then curl his free-kick into the top corner.

    It was the cue for the visitors to ramp up the pressure in a barnstorming half and Dawson cleared off the line before Sa turned Manuel Akanji’s shot wide.

    They proved crucial as Hwang turned up the heat on City to grab the winner after 68 minutes.

    Nelson Semedo was sent dashing down the right and his cross was cleared as far as Hwang, whose shot was blocked by Dias. It fell for Cunha to keep his cool and lay the ball off to Hwang to sweep in from six yards.

    Molineux erupted and then braced for the expected City onslaught. Kalvin Phillips curled wide and Kyle Walker shot at Sa, yet there was no comeback as Wolves deservedly held on.

  • Luton celebrate landmark Premier League win to turn up heat on Everton Luton celebrate landmark Premier League win to turn up heat on Everton

    Luton claimed their first ever Premier League win with a 2-1 victory at Goodison Park as Everton’s positive vibes drained away in the Merseyside drizzle.

    Representatives from the Toffees’ prospective new owners 777 Partners were in attendance after back-to-back wins over Brentford and Aston Villa had fostered hopes of brighter days ahead.

    But set-piece goals from Tom Lockyer and Carlton Morris put Luton two up and, although Dominic Calvert-Lewin pulled one back before half-time, the Toffees could not find an equaliser.

    Instead it was a landmark day for Luton, who celebrated their first top-flight victory since a 2-0 success against Aston Villa in April 1992.

    Everton began the match very much on the front foot but, as with previous games at Goodison this season, they could not turn chances into goals, or even trouble Thomas Kaminski.

    Dwight McNeil had the first opening in the third minute, volleying just past a post after a defensive slip, while James Garner, Idrissa Gueye and Amadou Onana all put their efforts wide and Calvert-Lewin, back in the starting line-up after goals in successive matches, headed straight at the keeper.

    Luton’s only opening had been a shot from Marvelous Nakamba that flew high and wide, but they looked dangerous from set-pieces and Lockyer gave notice of his threat by finding space in the middle of the box from a corner and heading just over the bar.

    And it was the Luton captain who made the breakthrough from another corner in the 24th minute.

    Morris’ powerful header hit the bar and rebounded off Jordan Pickford, Ashley Young was too slow in trying to clear the ball and Lockyer got in the way to divert it into an empty net.

    The optimism around Goodison Park rapidly drained away and things got worse in the 31st minute when Morris was given space at the back post to meet Alfie Doughty’s free-kick and send a crisp volley flying into the far corner.

    Everton should have pulled one back six minutes later when McNeil’s well-judged cross found Garner unmarked six yards out, but his header hit the angle of post and bar.

    Four minutes later they did manage to put the ball in the back of the net and it was eventually given after a three-minute VAR check.

    Garner’s ball in found Onana, who appeared to be having his shirt pulled by Reece Burke as he scrambled a shot, which was blocked by Kaminski.

    With Everton fans screaming for a penalty, the ball squirmed away from the keeper and Abdoulaye Doucoure teed up Calvert-Lewin, who was eventually deemed to be just onside, for the simplest of finishes.

    Luton dug in to preserve their lead until half-time and both teams made changes for the second half, Jack Harrison replacing Gueye for his league debut for Everton and Mads Andersen coming on for Burke.

    The Hatters then lost captain Lockyer to injury, with Teden Mengi coming on in his place.

    There was a big cheer when Beto was introduced for Everton, who could manage little more than lofting hopeful balls into the box as they sought the equaliser.

    Luton had the ball in the net again with 63 minutes gone but Morris was denied his second by an offside flag.

    Everton slowly began to ramp up the pressure, but Kaminski did not have a save to make in the second half, with Beto heading over from the best two openings, and boos greeted the final whistle.

  • Kai Havertz off the mark for Arsenal before Bukayo Saka goes off injured Kai Havertz off the mark for Arsenal before Bukayo Saka goes off injured

    Kai Havertz hit his first Arsenal goal as Mikel Arteta’s side eased to a comfortable victory at Bournemouth.

    The Gunners outclassed their hosts to win 4-0 and move to within striking distance of Manchester City – who visit the Emirates Stadium next weekend – but a late injury to Bukayo Saka will worry Arteta.

    Havertz has struggled to make an impact since moving across London from Chelsea in the summer but stroked home a second-half penalty, much to the joy of his team-mates and the travelling support inside the Vitality Stadium.

    Arsenal were already two goals to the good at that point, Saka breaking the deadlock with his fifth of the season, before Martin Odegaard scored from the spot with a Ben White header wrapping up the win in stoppage time.

    Arteta was able to call on a number of players who were injury doubts ahead of the trip to the south coast as William Saliba, Declan Rice and Saka all started despite missing the majority of training leading into the game.

    Saka, though, hobbled off for the second game in succession having injured a foot against Tottenham in last weekend’s north London derby draw.

    Bournemouth are still without a league win under head coach Andoni Iraola, who very much came off second best in the battle against childhood friend Arteta.

    Arsenal were on the front foot from the off as Havertz saw a shot deflected behind off Illia Zabarnyi and behind for a corner.

    Saka duly put them ahead soon after, nodding into an empty goal after Gabriel Jesus’ header came back off the post and into the path of the England winger.

    Oleksandr Zinchenko stung the palms of Neto with the visitors in search of a second goal, which arrived from the penalty spot after Max Aarons felled Eddie Nketiah.

    Saka initially stepped up, only to give the ball to his captain with Odegaard dispatching the spot-kick to widen the gap before the break.

    Bournemouth continued to cause their own problems as a poor challenge from Ryan Christie on Odegaard led to Michael Salisbury pointing to the spot for a second time.

    Saka, again, collected the ball but this time ceded responsibility to Havertz, without a goal or assist in his first nine Arsenal appearances.

    He coolly slotted home before being mobbed by his team-mates as his name rang out from the away section with the points all-but secured.

    The only sour note of the afternoon for Arsenal came when Saka hit the deck in pain after a coming together with Milos Kerkez.

    He limped on for a couple of minutes before being replaced by Fabio Vieira with Arsenal adding another goal late on through White.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.