EPL

Tottenham managing director Paratici steps back from role

By Sports Desk March 31, 2023

Tottenham managing director Fabio Paratici has stepped back from his role while the club awaits the outcome of his appeal against a worldwide ban from football.

FIFA announced on Wednesday that the 30-month suspension handed to Paratici by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) in January would extend beyond Italian football.

Spurs were caught cold by the timing of the announcement and said in a statement they were "urgently seeking further clarification from FIFA" regarding Paratici's situation.

The 50-year-old's appeal will be held on April 19, but it was confirmed by Tottenham on Friday that he will step back from his duties until then.

"In view of FIFA's decision, Fabio has agreed with the club that he will take an immediate leave of absence pending the outcome of his appeal," a Spurs statement read.

Paratici was one of 11 individuals banned by the FIGC in January after Juventus were found guilty of alleged breaches in relation to historical transfer dealings.

Juve were docked 15 points in Serie A as part of the punishment, with Paratici and the club denying any wrongdoing and lodging an appeal to the Italian Olympic Committee.

Then-chairman Andrea Agnelli and former director Pavel Nedved were hit with 24 and eight month bans respectively, which they are also appealing in April.

Paratici's leave of absence comes at a time when the club are on the lookout for a new head coach following the sacking of Antonio Conte last week.

Related items

  • Sean Dyche urges Everton team-mates to ease pressure on Dominic Calvert-Lewin Sean Dyche urges Everton team-mates to ease pressure on Dominic Calvert-Lewin

    Sean Dyche accepts pressure will continue to grow on Dominic Calvert-Lewin the longer his barren run continues.

    But the Everton manager has reminded the rest of his goal-shy side it is not just the principle striker who needs to find the net.

    Calvert-Lewin has not scored for the relegation-threatened Toffees in 19 appearances stretching back to October.

    However, he is not the only Everton player struggling in front of goal with the team having struck just 27 times in 25 Premier League games this season. Only bottom two Burnley and Sheffield United have worse records.

    “I think he knows where he’s at,” said Dyche of Calvert-Lewin. “There’s enough noise in football now.

    “Do you think he’s thinking there’s no noise about him not scoring? I’m pretty sure he knows that.

    “Whether fair or not, that’s strikers, isn’t it? That’s being a striker, that’s the reality of the role.

    “But all strikers, I’m sure, want the adulation of being a striker and scoring goals.

    “That’s part of the fuel that you’d have as a striker, that amazing feeling when you do score, especially at Goodison, because the crowd generally erupt.

    “So I think they know the responsibility. That’s part of their role.

    “Having said that, of course, it’s not just strikers’ responsibility to score goals.

    “We want them to work, we want them to defend, we want them to do the hard yards for the team. So therefore we’ve got to pay that back with other people scoring.”

    Conversely, in a difficult season, Dyche can take positives from his side’s strong defensive record.

    Everton have conceded just 33 goals this term, a figure equalled or bettered only by the current top four.

    Dyche said: “I’m pleased with that side of things and that’s the whole team. A lot is made about individuals in the back unit but I think we ask the players to defend from the front and I think they’re getting better at that.

    “The tactical shape and understanding the side, I think has improved and then finding that balance for scoring goals – we know that’s the biggest part of the challenge – transitioning the chances we’re making into actual finishes and actual goals. That’s obviously still a work in progress.”

    Everton, who clawed themselves out of the relegation zone on goal difference with a 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace on Monday, travel to seventh-placed Brighton on Saturday.

    Everton claimed an impressive 5-1 win at the Amex Stadium as they battled against the drop last May.

    Dyche said: “That was probably a hiccup in their season at that time. We made that happen, though, don’t get me wrong.

    “It wasn’t because they weren’t playing well or they weren’t a good side, because they are a good side.

    “They’ve shown again they’re a good outfit and the home record has been very good for a number of seasons.”

  • Andrew Cole believes Sir Jim Ratcliffe will need time to turn Man Utd around Andrew Cole believes Sir Jim Ratcliffe will need time to turn Man Utd around

    Former Manchester United striker Andrew Cole believes it could take Sir Jim Ratcliffe longer than three years to turn the club into genuine Premier League title challengers.

    Ratcliffe has laid out his plans to restore United to their former glory at the top of English football within “two or three seasons” after becoming their co-owner earlier this week.

    Cole, who won five Premier League titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League during his eight seasons as a player with United, told the PA news agency: “It’s going to take time.

    “It could possibly take longer than three years, we have to be very honest.

    “We’re what, 11 years in now (since United were last crowned Premier League champions)?

    “If we look at ourselves now, we’re still in the same position and if he’s going to turn it around in three years he’s going to have to go some. But change is good.”

    Cole, attending an event held by United’s official hydration partner WOW HYDRATE, said it has taken both Liverpool and Manchester City “six or seven years to lay their foundations”.

    “They’ve had managers in place for the long term and have bought well in the transfer market. That’s what we have to do,” he said.

    “As long as Pep Guardiola stays at City it’s going to be very difficult for anyone to beat them to the Premier League title.

    “I think it could change at Liverpool due to the fact that Jurgen Klopp leaves at the end of the season.

    “They could find themselves in the same position as Manchester United are in, starting all over again, new manager, fresh ideas.”

    United won their first major trophy since 2017 last season under manager Erik ten Hag, but Cole is undecided on whether the Dutchman is the right man for the job.

    “You’re only the right man if you keep winning football matches,” the former United forward said. “Once you don’t win football matches, you’re not the right man. Football will never change.”

    Five straight wins in all competitions have eased the pressure on Ten Hag, with £72million summer signing Rasmus Hojlund playing a key role.

    Hojlund has scored eight goals in his last eight appearances after a slow start to his United career and Cole is delighted for the 21-year-old Denmark striker.

    “A lot was expected of him, but it was always going to take time in this United team,” Cole added. “But fair play to him. He took a bit of flak, but he never hid.

    “A lot is expected of a young man to come in and be Manchester United’s main goalscorer.

    “Many players have come before him to Old Trafford and failed and I like the way he’s gone about his business recently.”

  • Football rumours: Erik ten Hag’s Man Utd future in balance until end of season Football rumours: Erik ten Hag’s Man Utd future in balance until end of season
    What the papers say

    Manchester United investor Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to wait until the end of the season before deciding on the future of manager Erik ten Hag, reports the Daily Star.

    Meanwhile, Liverpool knocked back an approach from Chelsea for forward Darwin Nunez last summer, says The Times.

    According to the Independent, Sporting Lisbon manager Ruben Amorim is a leading contender to replace Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp if they miss the chance to secure Xabi Alonso .

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg: Tottenham do not expect the midfielder to stay at the club this summer, with several Serie A sides interested in the 28-year-old, writes Football Insider.

    Amadou Onana: Arsenal are eager to sign the Everton midfielder this summer, reports TEAMtalk.

    Oscar Bobb: Manchester City are close to locking the Norway striker into a new long-term contract, says the Daily Mail.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.