Deschamps did not make France captaincy decision to please Mbappe

By Sports Desk March 23, 2023

Didier Deschamps insisted pleasing Kylian Mbappe played no part in his decision to make the Paris Saint-Germain star France captain.

Hugo Lloris' retirement vacated the France captaincy, with Mbappe named as the new skipper earlier this week ahead of Euro 2024 qualifiers against the Netherlands and the Republic of Ireland.

Mbappe revealed on Thursday that Antoine Griezmann, one of France's longest-serving players, was disappointed by the decision, though Deschamps refuted the suggestion he made the call to appease the 24-year-old, who won the Golden Boot at last year's World Cup.

"It's not a choice to make him happy, but because I am convinced that he has all the qualities to do so," Deschamps said in a press conference.

"I'm not going to go into details. You know how it went chronologically. I made the decision on Monday evening. Kylian has been used to being in this group for a while.

"He won't be alone. The most important thing is that it's not an extra burden for Kylian."

 

Indeed, Deschamps has no concerns that becoming captain will be too much responsibility for Mbappe, who has scored 31 goals in 33 games for PSG this season.

"Being captain of the France team is a responsibility, but Kylian, when he is on the pitch, he thinks about what he has to do on the pitch," Deschamps continued.

"It comes naturally. There is no advice to give to him, Kylian knows."

When asked if Mbappe would have to become less selfish or alter his game as captain, Deschamps added: "That a striker can create individual actions, that's part of the role of a striker. It's not selfishness. He doesn't have to change."

Lloris' retirement has also opened an opportunity for a new goalkeeper to confirm themselves as number one.

While Alphonse Areola and Lens' Brice Samba – one of the best-performing goalkeepers in Ligue 1 this term – have been included in Deschamps' squad, Mike Maignan is Lloris' heir apparent.

"Mike is used to it, he has already played [France] matches," Deschamps said. "He cannot replace Hugo's experience overnight.

"He has overcome his injury problems. I don't have the slightest doubt, I have total confidence in him. He has everything to be at this level."

Related items

  • Celtic appeal against Yang Hyun-jun red and express ‘serious concerns’ to SFA Celtic appeal against Yang Hyun-jun red and express ‘serious concerns’ to SFA

    Celtic have appealed against Yang Hyun-jun’s red card and written to the Scottish Football Association with “serious concerns” over the standard of officiating during their 2-0 defeat by Hearts.

    Yang was sent off in the 16th minute following a VAR review after initially being booked for catching Alex Cochrane with a high boot.

    Both sides had penalties awarded during the cinch Premiership encounter at Tynecastle on Sunday.

    Celtic confirmed they would be appealing against the red card and added in a club statement: “We have also written to the SFA to raise our serious concerns regarding the use of VAR and the decisions made within the match.”

  • Marc Canham confirms Republic of Ireland will announce permanent coach in April Marc Canham confirms Republic of Ireland will announce permanent coach in April

    The Republic of Ireland will announce a new permanent head coach at the start of next month.

    FAI director of football Marc Canham appeared to rule out interim boss John O’Shea from the role by revealing the preferred candidate is still in work.

    “The process of the appointment of the permanent new head coach is very close to the end, nearing its end point, and we look forward to announcing that new permanent head coach in early April,” Canham said at a press conference alongside O’Shea.

    “Existing contractual obligations mean that we are not in a position to announce any further details at this point but as we have committed to, we will announce that in early April.

    “The process has been ongoing for a period of time, we have given a series of updates, but we are near the end. We are at a really advanced stage but for different practical reasons we can’t confirm that until early April.”

    Former Manchester United and Ireland defender O’Shea was appointed interim boss last week for the home friendlies against Belgium and Switzerland later this month.

    “Look, my focus is on these two games,” said the 42-year-old. “When I got the message from Mark just over a week ago it was an amazing feeling, I’m very proud.

    “It’s an amazing feeling and I can’t wait for it to come round.

    “(The future) takes care of itself, I’m focused on these two games and we’ll see what happens then.”

    O’Shea will be assisted by Paddy McCarthy and Glenn Whelan, as well as former national team boss Brian Kerr as technical director.

  • Paul Tierney will not referee game at weekend after Forest-Liverpool controversy Paul Tierney will not referee game at weekend after Forest-Liverpool controversy

    Paul Tierney, who was at the centre of a dropped ball controversy in the Nottingham Forest v Liverpool match last Saturday, will not referee a Premier League match this weekend.

    Tierney faced criticism after he failed to award a dropped ball to Forest in an attacking area after stopping the match for a head injury to Liverpool defender Ibrahima Konate.

    Forest did regain possession after Tierney’s error, but conceded a 99th-minute goal which cost them a valuable point in the race for Premier League survival.

    Tierney has been selected as the video assistant referee (VAR) for the Arsenal v Brentford match on Saturday evening. Sources close to Professional Game Match Officials Ltd insist Tierney has not been dropped.

    He is one of a group of officials who regularly alternate between being referees and VARs.

    Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg, who has been employed by Forest on a consultancy basis as a referee analyst, told BBC Radio 5 Live at the weekend: “(Forest) should have had the ball back. If the referee stops the game, he has to give the ball back to the team in possession. That was Forest.

    “When (the ball was) given to the keeper, with Liverpool scoring afterwards, you can see why (Forest) are aggrieved,” Clattenburg added.

    “I haven’t spoken to the referee – I’ll leave that to the club. I went to go into the referee’s dressing room (after the game) but he (Tierney) wouldn’t allow it.”

    PGMOL is understood not to have received any further correspondence from Forest regarding the incident on Saturday beyond Clattenburg’s comments.

    Tierney sent off Forest’s first-team coach Steven Reid after he came onto the pitch at the end of the game to protest. Forest later dismissed reports that club owner Evangelos Marinakis had to be restrained by security staff in the tunnel.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.