Rabiot calm over Juventus future with all options open

By Sports Desk March 22, 2023

France midfielder Adrien Rabiot would not suggest whether he plans to remain at Juventus despite his contract only running until the end of the season.

The Bianconeri are still fighting in the Europa League and Coppa Italia, after a 15-point deduction derailed their league campaign.

Rabiot insisted he is focused on the remainder of Juve's season rather than being drawn on his personal position in a Tuttosport interview.

He said: "My future? For the moment there is no news, but we will definitely talk soon, because in about two months the season will be over and we will try to discuss [it], but I'm calm.

"There is the possibility of leaving but also the possibility of signing a new contract with Juve.

"I feel good in Turin, I do a good job at the club and there is a good relationship with the management, my team-mates and the coach, who has also helped me.

"I believe all of this is important to feel good and therefore make the right choice for my future."

Rabiot might well have left Juve last year, when he reportedly came close to joining Manchester United, though a move to Old Trafford fell through.

After a difficult start to the season, Juve had thrust themselves into the Serie A title race. However, their chances were ended by a 15-point deduction due to financial irregularities.

As a result, Juve went into the international break in seventh, seven points behind fourth-placed Milan with 11 games remaining.

Rabiot added: "Without the 15 points [deduction] we would be able to qualify for the Champions League.

"But honestly, I say that we could qualify even if the penalty were to remain. I believe it.

"We are focussed on all fronts and clearly the Europa League is something we will try and win.

"There are still many good teams left, but we want to achieve something important. I'm confident we can win both the Europa League and the Coppa.

"We are having a complicated season for all the reasons that are known, but I believe that despite this, we are able to win.

"In fact, to be honest, I can also say that succeeding would give us even greater satisfaction."

Juve's second game after the international break is the first leg of their Coppa semi-final against Inter, with the Bianconeri having beaten Simone Inzaghi's side at the San Siro in Serie A to round off their pre-break fixtures.

"The lads in the team have a lot of desire to win, also because it is the historical spirit of Juventus," Rabiot said.

"The DNA of the club is clear, and we all want to pass it on to those who arrive.

"If I have to tell the truth, the impression I got on Sunday is, Inter is a team less strong than the one we faced in Turin.

"They also seemed less strong than last year. I had the feeling that they felt less confidence."

Rabiot's initial focus is on France, with Les Bleus facing the Netherlands and the Republic of Ireland in Euro 2024 qualifiers over the coming days.

Related items

  • Super League could cause clubs to disappear, warns Shakhtar CEO Super League could cause clubs to disappear, warns Shakhtar CEO

    Plans to found a European Super League are "purely about money" and the breakaway competition would cause smaller clubs to disappear if it ever came into being.

    That is the view of Shakhtar Donetsk chief executive Serhiy Palkin, who believes the vast majority of European clubs are united in their support for UEFA.

    The threat of a Super League has never fully gone away despite fierce fan and media opposition causing the competition's attempted 2021 launch to fail in spectacular fashion.

    Real Madrid and Barcelona remain committed to the project, and in late 2022, A22 Sports Management was enlisted to oversee its revival, with a plan for a three-tier competition featuring promotion and relegation with no permanent members made public last year. 

    Those plans were met with widespread criticism, with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin saying the proposal was "even more closed" than the initial Super League format, given a tier-one founder would be guaranteed three years in the competition regardless of their results. 

    Last December, the European Court of Justice ruled UEFA cannot stop breakaway competitions by threatening to sanction clubs, but Palkin feels there is no real desire for change.

    "For me, it's difficult to discuss. When this news was issued about A22 winning in court, we had already issued our statement, we are supporting UEFA," he told Stats Perform.

    "Almost 90 per cent of clubs did the same statement on their websites. We have a special group on WhatsApp, everybody supports UEFA. I don't understand this Super League. 

    "I don't understand what kind of essence they have. I don't understand why we need to change something, when under the umbrella of UEFA, we have very well-structured competitions. 

    "If you look from 10 years ago to today, they developed a lot of things in a good way and they are always raising the amount of money that we receive. 

    "They are increasing the number of games, they are increasing the number of competitions with the Conference League.

    "They involved a lot of clubs. It's not all clubs, but the number of clubs involved in European competitions is increasing significantly. 

    "The most important thing for me is the involvement of clubs in European competitions and the financial support of these competitions. All the numbers are just increasing."

    Palkin believes only the very richest clubs stand to benefit from the Super League, warning smaller sides might struggle to stay afloat if the plans ever come to fruition. 

    "We don't have just 25 clubs in Europe. We need to pay attention to the whole of football. The most important thing is to spread football over the whole of Europe," he added. 

    "Otherwise, don't go to stadiums, just switch on the TV and see the top, top clubs playing between each other, and that's it. Then they become much, much richer, and others disappear. 

    "For them [smaller clubs], receiving these bonuses from UEFA is critical from a financial point of view. 

    "I support football, the game itself, and we need to promote this idea. This Super League, it's not about the game, it's just about money. It's purely about money."

  • Massimiliano Allegri not underestimating Napoli as Juve look to end barren run Massimiliano Allegri not underestimating Napoli as Juve look to end barren run

    Massimiliano Allegri is not fooled by Napoli’s position in the Serie A table as Juventus look to end their long hoodoo at the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.

    Heading into Sunday’s clash in Naples the reigning champions are only eighth, with visitors Juve 17 points better off and pushing Inter Milan for top spot.

    However, the Bianconeri have not taken three points from this away fixture since March 2019 and head coach Allegri knows Francesco Calzona’s men can be very dangerous on home turf.

    “Juventus haven’t won in Naples for five years, it won’t be easy,” Allegri said at his Saturday press conference. “It will be a difficult match as they’re a good team and it’s strange to see them in that position in the table.

    “We know that there are endless challenges at Napoli; we need to limit their strengths and try to be proactive when we have the ball.

    “They’ve just won a tough match against Sassuolo, and with (Victor) Osimhen returning they’ve found their bite again.

    “They’ve had their problems this year but the quality of their players has not changed.”

    Juve have problems of their own. Their tense win against Frosinone last weekend was a first victory in five attempts and Allegri wants his men to come flying out of the traps in March.

    “We’ve been through a difficult period, it wasn’t a good February. We must ensure that March is better than last month.

    “Against Frosinone we conceded two avoidable goals and we must do better as a team when defending.

    “Now the most beautiful but also more complicated period of the season begins; we must stay focused and know that picking up points becomes more difficult from now.

    “Last year we came third, this year if we came second it would be a good result.”

    Federico Chiesa and Danilo should be in contention to feature for Juve in Naples while Moise Kean and Mattia Perin will need longer to recover from injuries and Adrien Rabiot and Weston McKennie have outside chances to be involved.

    It may not all be doom and gloom for Napoli, for whom Jens Cajuste and Cyril Ngonge are injury doubts, as they ran riot to win 6-1 at Sassuolo last weekend.

    Matteo Politano feels the appointment of Calzona as Walter Mazzarri’s replacement on February 19 could be the catalyst for a late-season resurgence.

    The Italy midfielder told sscnapoli.it: “He is giving us a lot of motivation but keeping us calm, too.

    “Some of us have known him for years, we know how he works and we are totally on board with following his ideas.”

  • Shaw again on target as Manchester City beat Everton to go top of WSL Shaw again on target as Manchester City beat Everton to go top of WSL

    Manchester City defeated Everton 2-1 to climb to the top of the Women’s Super League table.

    City picked up where they left off in their first match since defeating Chelsea last month, with goals from Khadija Shaw (15th) and Lauren Hemp (55th) taking them three points clear of Emma Hayes’ side, who play Leicester on Sunday.

    It is now 12 victories in a row in all competitions for Gareth Taylor’s City, who were pegged back by a fine strike from Hanna Bennison in the 60th minute but deserved the three points.

    City, who have won all 16 of their league games against the Merseyside team, were behind Chelsea only on goals scored at the top of the table heading into the clash at the Joie Stadium. They were well fired up for this game and dominated from beginning to end against Brian Sorensen's team.

    City enjoyed the majority of early possession but had a hard time getting time and space in dangerous areas. After a few tame efforts, Everton made it easy for the home team when Justine Vanhaevermaet crumbled under pressure and played a short pass inside the box that went directly to Shaw, who suddenly had an abundance of time and space to smash in the opener.

    The goal gave the in-form hosts a massive boost as they looked even more dangerous from then on, with Chloe Kelly and Lauren Hemp sending dangerous balls into the box that Shaw was unable to connect with. By half-time, 1-0 seemed a low score considering City had 13 shots throughout the first 45 minutes.

    Everton, meanwhile, were gifted one chance late in the half when goalkeeper Khiara Keating played the ball straight to Rikke Madsen, but her weak shot was straight back at the youngster.

    After Shaw missed a great opportunity by heading over the bar, it was Hemp who doubled City's lead, combining with Coombs in the middle of the pitch before driving forward and sending a long-range effort rolling into the bottom corner.

    Everton were not down and out, though, as City suddenly looked flustered at the back and gave the ball away, resulting in Hanna Bennison smashing in a beauty of a goal from outside the box. Both teams pushed on for another goal, but neither could find a way past their opponents' goalkeeper.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.