Infantino wants equal prize money by 2027 Women's World Cup, denies Saudi deal agreed

By Sports Desk March 16, 2023

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has set a target for prize money at the 2027 Women's World Cup to be equal to payouts at the men's tournaments.

Infantino, who was re-elected at Thursday's FIFA congress after running unopposed, also denied there is a deal for Visit Saudi to sponsor the 2023 Women's World Cup, to be held in Australia and New Zealand.

The prize money for the 2023 World Cup is set to be $150million (£124m), a rise of 300 per cent from the 2019 tournament, with the number of competing teams increasing to 32 from 24.

The 2022 men's World Cup in Qatar involved prize money totalling $440m (£365m).

Infantino said that "broadcasters and sponsors have to do more" and be willing to pay more into the women's tournament, adding: "FIFA is receiving between 10 and 100 times less from public broadcasters for the women's World Cup than the men's World Cup. Do you think that is normal?

"At the same, these public broadcasters who are paid by the taxpayers' money, they criticise FIFA, a bit less the others, for not guaranteeing equal pay to men and women.

"You pay us 100 times less but your viewing figures are very similar, maybe 20-25 per cent less, not 100 per cent less. Well offer us 20 per cent less or 50 per cent less, but not 100 per cent less. How can we do it, otherwise?"

Regarding reports Saudi Arabia's tourism arm was due to sponsor this year's tournament, which sparked concern from football authorities in Australia and New Zealand, Infantino confirmed talks had taken place but said a deal was not reached.

"I can clarify that there were discussions with Visit Saudi," the FIFA president said. "At the end, this discussion didn't lead into a contract. How do you say it? It was a storm in a water glass. A storm in a teacup."

Infantino expressed his belief there had not been as much backlash around trade deals between Saudi Arabia, which has been criticised for alleged human rights violations, and Australia.

"This doesn't seem to be a problem," Infantino said. "But between a global organisation like FIFA and Visit Saudi this would have been an issue. There is a double standard here, which I really don't understand."

He added: "There is no issue and no contract. There are discussions and of course we want to see how we can involve Saudi sponsors in women's football generally, how we can involve Saudi sponsors in men football, or we can involve Qatari sponsors in women's football and men's football, and all other sponsors from all over the world."

The chief executive of Football Australia, James Johnson, was pleased to hear Infantino's comments, saying: "Equality, diversity and inclusion are really deep commitments for Football Australia, and we'll continue to work hard with FIFA to ensure the Women's World Cup is shaped in this light."

Related items

  • John O’Shea appears out of running to land Republic of Ireland job permanently John O’Shea appears out of running to land Republic of Ireland job permanently

    The Republic of Ireland appear to have ruled out interim boss John O’Shea from taking over as head coach permanently.

    The Football Association of Ireland said last week it plans to name a permanent successor to Stephen Kenny in early April, with director of football Marc Canham revealing at a press conference on Monday that the preferred candidate was still in work.

    “The process of the appointment of the permanent new head coach is very close to the end, nearing its end point, and we look forward to announcing that new permanent head coach in early April,” Canham said at a press conference alongside O’Shea.

    “Existing contractual obligations mean that we are not in a position to announce any further details at this point but as we have committed to, we will announce that in early April.

    “The process has been ongoing for a period of time, we have given a series of updates, but we are near the end. We are at a really advanced stage but for different practical reasons we can’t confirm that until early April.”

    Former Manchester United and Ireland defender O’Shea was appointed interim boss last week for the home friendlies against Belgium and Switzerland later this month.

    “Look, my focus is on these two games,” said the 42-year-old. “When I got the message from Mark just over a week ago it was an amazing feeling, I’m very proud.

    “It’s an amazing feeling and I can’t wait for it to come round.

    “(The future) takes care of itself, I’m focused on these two games and we’ll see what happens then.”

    O’Shea will be assisted by Paddy McCarthy and Glenn Whelan, as well as former national team boss Brian Kerr as technical director.

  • Luis Enrique offers Kylian Mbappe no guarantees of Champions League playing time Luis Enrique offers Kylian Mbappe no guarantees of Champions League playing time

    Paris St Germain boss Luis Enrique has offered Kylian Mbappe no guarantees about his playing time in the Champions League.

    The reported wantaway striker was taken off at half-time during PSG’s goalless draw with Monaco on Friday, having been substituted just over an hour into the draw against Rennes a week earlier.

    Asked what he expected from Mbappe in their second leg at Real Sociedad on Tuesday night, Enrique told a press conference: “I expect my team to be up to the level of the game and to approach it in the way we have throughout the season.

    “I can see that the team is full of confidence and we have a clear target, which is to try to win the game.

    “We want to beat Real Sociedad away from  home, but it will certainly be very tough.”

    PSG lead 2-0 from the first leg and Enrique added: “It is an attractive position to be in and we have the desire to be in this competition.”

    Enrique confirmed that full-back Nuno Mendes was fit to start following his lengthy injury absence.

    Real Sociedad coach Imanol Alguacil knows his side face a tough task to overturn the two-goal deficit, but is hopeful they can spring a surprise.

    “I will ask the team to show personality, just like in Paris. We made it clear over there that we are capable,” he said.

    “For our part, we will do everything we can to achieve it. I want the best atmosphere, both on and off the pitch. It won’t be easy, but we are full of hope. The important thing is to compete and to stay alive.”

  • Gareth Taylor ‘very happy’ to commit future to Manchester City Gareth Taylor ‘very happy’ to commit future to Manchester City

    Manchester City boss Gareth Taylor has signed a new contract with the Women’s Super League outfit running to 2027.

    The 51-year-old has been in charge at City since May 2020 and oversaw the team winning the delayed 2019-20 FA Cup final six months later and the League Cup in 2022.

    The news of Taylor’s three-year extension comes with City currently lying second in the WSL, level on points with leaders Chelsea, and on a nine-match winning run.

    He said in a statement from the club: “I’m very happy to be able to commit to City for another three seasons.

    “I think what we’re doing here and trying to achieve is a build and a long-term project of sustainability and success.

    “Our ambition was always to be right at the top and we’ve done that. It’s taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people behind the scenes. The players have really bought in to what we’re trying to do and achieve.”

    City, whose only WSL title to date came in 2016, have bounced back this season after missing out on the Champions League places with a fourth-placed finish last term. They came second in 2020-21 and third in 2021-22.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.