EPL

De Gea calls for refereeing consistency after Casemiro red

By Sports Desk March 12, 2023

David de Gea appealed for "more consistency" from referees after Manchester United had Casemiro sent off in their 0-0 draw with Southampton.

United failed to get back to winning ways in the Premier League following their 7-0 thrashing by Liverpool last week.

They spent much of a home game with the division's bottom club on the back foot, especially after Casemiro became the first United player to receive two red cards in the same league season since Nemanja Vidic in 2013-14.

Casemiro was initially booked by Anthony Taylor for his challenge on Carlos Alcaraz, but the referee was instructed by VAR to consult the pitch-side monitor.

Having looked at replays that showed Casemiro going over the top of the ball and sending his studs high into Alcaraz's leg, Taylor changed his decision and showed the Brazil midfielder a red.

United claimed a point despite Southampton attempting 17 shots, with De Gea called into action to preserve their clean sheet on several occasions.

Speaking to Sky Sports, De Gea said: "It should be a game to win today, but the game changed when we lost a man in the team.

"We tried our best to score, but it was difficult. They had some chances, but in the end we showed good team spirit. We have to take the point and keep going.

"I think Casemiro was unlucky. He tried to touch the ball and his foot came up high. I think the referees need to show more consistency. Sometimes they show a red card, and sometimes they don't."

Casemiro is now set to miss the next four domestic games for United. He will be unavailable for the FA Cup quarter-final with Fulham as well as Premier League clashes with Newcastle United, Brentford and Everton.

"It's going to be tough, he's a big player," De Gea said. "We will miss him for four games, but we have a big squad. We have players coming from the bench who do well. We will keep working hard."

Related items

  • Edwards, Wharfe to decide TTFA presidential race Edwards, Wharfe to decide TTFA presidential race

    Kieron Edwards or Colin Wharfe will take the reins of a new Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) administration, after both confirmed their candidacy for the presidential elections scheduled for April 13, 2024.

    Edwards, the Eastern Football Association (EFA) president, confirmed his nine-member slate, which includes Colin Murray, Osmond Downer and Jameson Rigues as vice-presidential candidates, while Wharfe, the CEO of the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL), announced a vice-president candidates list that includes Colonel Keston Charles, Renee John-Williams and Huey Cadette. 

    After submitting his slate, Edwards promised a "paradigm shift" in the governance of football in the twin island republic, with a focus on transparency and good governance.

    Both Southern Football Association (SFA) president Denis Latiff and Veterans Football Foundation of T&T (VFFTT) president Selby Browne pulled out of the presidential race after expressing a strong desire to steer local football forward in the past few weeks.

    As such, the April 13 elections, will see Edwards aiming to ascend to the post of TTFA president with his Team Progressive slate, which is completed by Alicia Austin, Andrew Boodhoo, Allan Logan, Ryan Nunes and Shelton Williams, as ordinary members.

    With over 200 years of "football acumen" under their belt according to Edwards' release, Team Progressive promises to provide the "perfect mix of people who have the skill, the background, the experience and the years of dedicated service to others in the football fraternity, that will see our football experience a resurgence in excellence."

    The release continued, "Team Progressive is committed to implementing sound financial practices. We will work diligently to ensure responsible budgeting, financial transparency, and strategic allocation of resources to support the sustainable development of football at all levels."

    TTFA's general secretariat is expected to circulate the official list of candidates to all TTFA members on April 3.

  • Jude Bellingham back and ‘at 100 per cent’ as Real Madrid take on Valencia Jude Bellingham back and ‘at 100 per cent’ as Real Madrid take on Valencia

    Jude Bellingham is fit to face Valencia with Carlo Ancelotti confirming the midfielder will feature for Real Madrid on Saturday.

    The England star has been sidelined with an ankle injury but is available for the LaLiga clash at the Mestalla.

    Bellingham, who has 21 goals for club and country this season, has been out since suffering the injury against title rivals Girona in February and has missed Real’s last three games.

    Ancelotti said: “He’s at 100 per cent. He hasn’t trained too much with the team but he’s done all he needs to on an individual basis.

    “He’s in good shape, optimum physical condition and he’s comfortable with his ankle. He’s up for it and will play.

    “The team has trained well and (Dani) Carvajal, (Eduardo) Camavinga, Joselu and Bellingham will all be back. We want to deliver a positive display. The key moments in the season come in March and April and confidence is high.

    “We have options. Picking a starting XI is always tough. There are several players who are contributing very well and deserve to play. I haven’t had too many difficult decisions to make up until now because we’ve always had so many injuries.”

    Real are six points clear at the top of LaLiga having lost just once in the league this season, to rivals Atletico Madrid in September.

    They beat Valencia, who are ninth, 5-1 at home in November but have struggled at the Mestalla recently.

    Real have only won one of their last five trips to Valencia, including last year’s 1-0 defeat, with Ancelotti wary of the threat their hosts have.

    He said: “The closer we get to the end of the season, the more important the games become. Real Madrid have always struggled at Mestalla because it’s a tough place to go against opposition enjoying a good run. Of course, we’ll have to be at our best.

    “The plan is to play a great football match and I’m sure Valencia are thinking the same. That’s what the fans and players want ahead of the game, an entertaining spectacle.

    “It’s one of the biggest. But all are important, including the three points against Sevilla. Picking up points at this stage of the season is hugely important. Every team needs the points to fight for top spot, the Champions League places or against relegation.”

  • Brendan Rodgers calls for consistency at Celtic as title run-in heats up Brendan Rodgers calls for consistency at Celtic as title run-in heats up

    Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers believes they have been their own worst enemies this season.

    But he is optimistic his side can find the consistency of performance they will need during the title run-in.

    The cinch Premiership champions delivered their biggest victory of the season on Wednesday when they thrashed Dundee 7-1 with the help of six first-half goals.

    Previous league games since the winter break had all been tight and two draws saw Celtic lose top spot in the table to Rangers, who could go five points clear when they host Motherwell on Saturday.

    Celtic travel to face Hearts on Sunday, possibly without skipper Callum McGregor, and Rodgers is looking for his side to build on their midweek display.

    “I have always felt our biggest enemy this season is ourselves,” he said.

    “If we perform to the level that we can do on a consistent basis, we are a very good team. It’s that consistency now of taking that performance into our next game.”

    Rodgers has seen Alistair Johnston, Greg Taylor and Cameron Carter-Vickers return to his back four in recent games following injuries.

    He is looking to utilise that settled platform in the final months of the season.

    “When you arrive at 10 games to go, that’s when the fun begins, that’s when you are into the business side,” he said. “That’s what I am really looking forward to.

    “We have obviously had inconsistencies up to this point. But we are still very much there, still very much in our hands what it is we want to do.

    “To have these players coming back is great and really good timing.”

    McGregor was replaced by Daniel Kelly at half-time against Dundee, with the 18-year-old scoring his first goal on his league debut.

    “Callum came off at half-time during the week,” Rodgers said. “He felt his Achilles a little bit and his calf.

    “I know from speaking to him, at this time of the year he does normally feel a little bit because he does play so much.

    “So we just have to assess that and see where he is over the next 24 hours.”

    McGregor has played further forward in the past two games after the return of Tomoki Iwata, who missed two months of action after picking up a knock.

    The Japanese midfielder has seized his latest opportunity after making only 10 starts during his first 12 months as a Celtic player.

    “He anchors that midfield for us and allows Cal to move on,” Rodgers said.

    “He is a very good player but he has missed a lot of this season, moments where it looked like he was going to get his run in the team, he was out injured.

    “So that’s been the challenging time for him and then it was just been about getting him up to speed and getting him in at the right time.

    “I am really pleased for him because he has given his all in training and he has waited for that opportunity.

    “This was a midfield that was very difficult for players to get into.

    “If you look at Matt O’Riley, with all due respect, Matt wasn’t really starting last year. You had Callum, Reo Hatate and Aaron Mooy playing a lot of the games. He has come in and had a fantastic season, Matt, and Tomo has had to be patient.

    “But I trust him, when he does come in. He plays the game simple, he is dynamic in winning the ball back and he has performed really well in these last two games.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.