Christian Atsu found dead after Turkey earthquake

By Sports Desk February 18, 2023

Christian Atsu has been found dead after the earthquakes that hit Turkey, his Super Lig club announced on Saturday.

The former Premier League player had not been seen since southern Turkey and northern Syria were hit by powerful tremors on February 6.

Previously with Newcastle United, Chelsea and Everton, Atsu scored for Hatayspor the day before the earthquakes, which resulted in the collapse of the apartment block in which the 31-year-old was living. 

Atsu's club initially reported he had been recovered from the rubble, but it was subsequently confirmed that was not the case.

Hatayspor's update said Atsu's body had now been recovered and was being returned to his homeland of Ghana.

The club said in a statement posted on social media: "The funeral of our football player Christian Atsu, who lost his life under the rubble, is on his way to be sent to his hometown [in] Ghana.

"We will not forget you, Atsu. Peace be upon you, beautiful person.

"There are no words to describe our sadness. REST in PEACE ATSU."

Over 40,000 people have been reported by local authorities to have died due to the earthquakes.

Related items

  • Luton celebrate landmark Premier League win to turn up heat on Everton Luton celebrate landmark Premier League win to turn up heat on Everton

    Luton claimed their first ever Premier League win with a 2-1 victory at Goodison Park as Everton’s positive vibes drained away in the Merseyside drizzle.

    Representatives from the Toffees’ prospective new owners 777 Partners were in attendance after back-to-back wins over Brentford and Aston Villa had fostered hopes of brighter days ahead.

    But set-piece goals from Tom Lockyer and Carlton Morris put Luton two up and, although Dominic Calvert-Lewin pulled one back before half-time, the Toffees could not find an equaliser.

    Instead it was a landmark day for Luton, who celebrated their first top-flight victory since a 2-0 success against Aston Villa in April 1992.

    Everton began the match very much on the front foot but, as with previous games at Goodison this season, they could not turn chances into goals, or even trouble Thomas Kaminski.

    Dwight McNeil had the first opening in the third minute, volleying just past a post after a defensive slip, while James Garner, Idrissa Gueye and Amadou Onana all put their efforts wide and Calvert-Lewin, back in the starting line-up after goals in successive matches, headed straight at the keeper.

    Luton’s only opening had been a shot from Marvelous Nakamba that flew high and wide, but they looked dangerous from set-pieces and Lockyer gave notice of his threat by finding space in the middle of the box from a corner and heading just over the bar.

    And it was the Luton captain who made the breakthrough from another corner in the 24th minute.

    Morris’ powerful header hit the bar and rebounded off Jordan Pickford, Ashley Young was too slow in trying to clear the ball and Lockyer got in the way to divert it into an empty net.

    The optimism around Goodison Park rapidly drained away and things got worse in the 31st minute when Morris was given space at the back post to meet Alfie Doughty’s free-kick and send a crisp volley flying into the far corner.

    Everton should have pulled one back six minutes later when McNeil’s well-judged cross found Garner unmarked six yards out, but his header hit the angle of post and bar.

    Four minutes later they did manage to put the ball in the back of the net and it was eventually given after a three-minute VAR check.

    Garner’s ball in found Onana, who appeared to be having his shirt pulled by Reece Burke as he scrambled a shot, which was blocked by Kaminski.

    With Everton fans screaming for a penalty, the ball squirmed away from the keeper and Abdoulaye Doucoure teed up Calvert-Lewin, who was eventually deemed to be just onside, for the simplest of finishes.

    Luton dug in to preserve their lead until half-time and both teams made changes for the second half, Jack Harrison replacing Gueye for his league debut for Everton and Mads Andersen coming on for Burke.

    The Hatters then lost captain Lockyer to injury, with Teden Mengi coming on in his place.

    There was a big cheer when Beto was introduced for Everton, who could manage little more than lofting hopeful balls into the box as they sought the equaliser.

    Luton had the ball in the net again with 63 minutes gone but Morris was denied his second by an offside flag.

    Everton slowly began to ramp up the pressure, but Kaminski did not have a save to make in the second half, with Beto heading over from the best two openings, and boos greeted the final whistle.

  • Miguel Almiron hits target again as Newcastle extend winning run against Burnley Miguel Almiron hits target again as Newcastle extend winning run against Burnley

    Miguel Almiron’s second goal in a week set Newcastle on their way to a third-successive Premier League victory as Burnley’s wait for a first top-flight win of the campaign continued.

    Almiron’s sweet 14th-minute strike and Alexander Isak’s late penalty were enough to secure a 2-0 success at St James’ Park and extend the Magpies’ unbeaten run to five games in all competitions on an afternoon when they were utterly dominant.

    But for the efforts of goalkeeper James Trafford and some sub-standard finishing as they failed to scale the heights they reached to put eight past Sheffield United last Sunday, the margin of victory would have been significantly more substantial.

    For their part, the Clarets might have taken an early lead through Zeki Amdouni had it not been for Nick Pope, but they otherwise struggled to put the England goalkeeper’s goal under genuine pressure.

    A Newcastle side with one eye on Wednesday evening’s mouthwatering Champions League showdown with Paris St Germain on Tyneside might have been behind within four minutes.

    Full-back Dan Burn slipped as he attempted to collected the ball under little pressure and allowed Luca Koleosho to race away and square for striker Amdouni, only for Pope to make a fine save to keep his side level.

    Koleosho was proving a real handful down the Clarets’ right in the early stages with the Magpies struggling for coherence, although Trafford needed two attempts to collect Isak’s skidding 11th-minute strike after Bruno Guimaraes had intercepted Connor Roberts’ ill-judged square ball.

    Trafford was beaten, however, three minutes later when, after Kieran Trippier had dispossessed Aaron Ramsey, Almiron cut inside before curling an unstoppable shot across the keeper.

    With the home side hunting in packs, Burnley were struggling to cope with their high press and Sean Longstaff fired just wide of the far post after Elliot Anderson and Isak had combined to wrestle the ball back.

    The Sweden international should have doubled their advantage with 27 minutes gone after running on to Guimaraes’ first-time pass, but he took a heavy touch and although he forced the ball past the advancing Trafford, the off-balance frontman was unable to finish at the second time of asking.

    Trafford kept Burnley in it 10 minutes before the break when he somehow managed to keep out the unmarked Anderson’s diving header and had to atone for his own error by denying the same man in stoppage time after his wayward pass had been picked off by Guimaraes.

    Newcastle went close within seconds of the restart when Tripper’s powerfully-struck shot was deflected wide with Trafford having gone the other way and the visitors found themselves camped deep inside their own territory once again as the second half unfolded.

    Anthony Gordon was enjoying the space afforded to him down the Magpies’ left, but it was Almiron and Trippier who caused problems down the opposite flank with 57 minutes gone, although Isak was unable to make contact with the England full-back’s teasing cross.

    Burnley midfielder Josh Cullen saw a shot from distance blocked by Guimaraes 20 minutes from time, but Trafford had to field Gordon’s snapshot and then found himself staring down the barrel after the home side were awarded a 77th-minute penalty for Ameed Al-Dakhil’s clumsy challenge on Gordon.

    Isak expertly sent Trafford the wrong way from 12 yards to seal the win with the minimum of fuss.

  • Village Superstars win 2023 SKNFA Premier League title Village Superstars win 2023 SKNFA Premier League title

    After a long, hard-fought season, Rams Village Superstars were crowned 2023 SKNFA Premier League Champions when they defeated SL Horfords St. Paul’s United 8-7 on penalty kicks in the ultimate game 3 of the Super Six finals at Warner Park on Friday night. 

    It took sudden death penalty kicks after both teams were locked 0-0 after regulation extra time. Both teams also ended the match with 10 men with one of each sent off with red cards. This is Village’s 6th Premier League title and their triumph denies St. Paul’s United from winning their 3rd straight Premier League title after dominating other cup competitions this season.

    After an electrifying championship final between Rams Village Superstars and SL Horsfords St. Paul’s United, the curtain falls on the Premier League 2023. This season will be remembered for its breathtaking moments, coming down to the very last penalty kick.

    This season has been a display of tenacity, skill, and sportsmanship at every level. Each match showcased the best of football, with teams giving their all and fans unwavering in their support.

    The SKNFA extends heartfelt gratitude to all participating teams for a season pulsating with excitement and memorable moments. As we celebrate the triumphs, let's honor the exceptional talents of this season with our League Awards:


    League Awards

    Premier Division

    Coach of the Year:

    Iroy Jeffers (SL Horsford St. Paul’s United FC) - $1000

    Golden Glove:

    Clifford Samuel (Sol Island Auto Conaree FC)- $1000

    Best Defender:

    Denis Fleming (Rams Village Superstars FC)- $1000

    Best Midfielder:

    Yohannes Mitchum (Newtown United FC)- $1000

    Golden Boot:

    Keithroy Freeman (SL Horsford St. Paul’s United FC) - $1000

    Regular Season MVP:

    Keithroy Freeman (SL Horsford St. Paul’s United FC) -$10,000

    Finals MVP:

    Zaykeese Smith (Village Superstars FC)- $5,000


    Division 1

    Coach of the year:

    Jevon Francis (Trafalgar Southstars FC)- $500

    Best Goalkeeper:

    Abasti Tyrell (Trafalgar Southstars FC)- $500

    Best Defender:

    Ricaldo Archibald (Trafalgar Southstars FC)- $500

    Best Midfielder:

    Orlando Mitchum (Conaree Fireball International FC)- $500

    Golden Boot:

    Reynaldo Matthew (Dieppe Bay Eagles FC)- $500


    Abasti Tyrell (Trafalgar Southstars FC)- $5,000

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.