EPL

Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped

By Sports Desk February 02, 2023

Criminal proceedings against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been discontinued, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has announced.

The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 and was due to stand trial in November on accusations of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.

However, the CPS confirmed on Thursday that all charges have been dropped.

A statement read: "Mason Greenwood was charged in October 2022 with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

"A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code of Crown Prosecutors."

A CPS spokesperson said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

"In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

"We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met."

Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, Greater Manchester Police's Head of Public Protection, said: "Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

"The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

"Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail."

Greenwood last played for United on January 22 last year in a 1-0 victory against West Ham before being suspended by the club.

Related items

  • Messi absence forces Martino apology for disappointed Vancouver crowd Messi absence forces Martino apology for disappointed Vancouver crowd

    Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and Luis Suarez all did not travel for Inter Miami's 2-1 victory over Vancouver Whitecaps, leading head coach Gerardo Martino to apologise.

    The former Barcelona trio were expected to feature for the Eastern Conference leaders on Sunday, but were rested as Martino's side triumphed thanks to goals from Robert Taylor and Leonardo Campana.

    Vancouver's BC Place was expecting a larger than usual home crowd to greet the global superstars, though Whitecaps Axel Schuster apologised once the hosts got wind of Messi's absence.

    With Martino subsequently leaving Messi and his former Blaugrana stars at home, the Miami boss felt it necessary to offer his apologies to the expectant Vancouver crowd.

    "Obviously it is very important for us because of the absences we had," Martino said after the victory that made it 10 unbeaten games for Miami. 

    "The expectation that people have. I really don't think I have to apologise, but in some ways we are very sorry for not being able to travel with our stars.

    "There is a question, we have or have come without our great players. Leo, Luis, Busi, Diego Gomez and still we have competed very well."

    Schuster and the Whitecaps had previously echoed Martino's apologetic sentiment on Thursday when news emerged of their absence.

    "We know that there will also be a lot of disappointed fans," Schuster said in a statement released by Vancouver.

    Disappointment followed on the pitch as Vancouver slipped to six straight MLS matches without victory.

  • Vancouver Whitecaps 1-2 Inter Miami: Taylor stars for Eastern Conference leaders Vancouver Whitecaps 1-2 Inter Miami: Taylor stars for Eastern Conference leaders

    Inter Miami extended their club-record unbeaten streak as Robert Taylor starred in Sunday's 2-1 triumph away to Vancouver Whitecaps in MLS.

    Taylor opened the scoring after 38 minutes before teeing up Leonardo Campana's second-half strike, rendering Ryan Gauld's late penalty as meaningless at BC Place.

    Jordi Alba teed up Taylor's third MLS goal this season, playing down the left before the Miami man cut inside and rifled into the top-right corner.

    Taylor continued to dominate in the second half, driving down the left-hand side before cutting back for Campana to slot a routine, first-time finish into the bottom-right corner after 54 minutes.

    Gauld sliced the deficit with 18 minutes remaining, caressing a cool penalty past Drake Callender, but that mattered for little as Miami continue to lead the Eastern Conference standings.

    Data Debrief: Unbeaten Miami on fire

    Gerardo Martino's side are now unbeaten in their last 10 MLS games, a club-record run, as well as moving to five games undefeated on the road – another first for Miami.

    In stark contrast, Vanni Sartini's Whitecaps are without victory in their last six MLS matches, last suffering as long as a winless streak between October 2022 and March 2023.

  • Pioli vows to never forget Milan faithful after Rossoneri farewell Pioli vows to never forget Milan faithful after Rossoneri farewell

    Stefano Pioli vowed to never forget the Milan supporters after signing off from his Rossoneri tenure with a disappointing 3-3 draw with Salernitana on Saturday.

    Pioli has the fourth-most Serie A wins of any Milan manager (108), behind Carlo Ancelotti (163), Nereo Rocco (120) and Fabio Capello (110).

    Yet the Italian leaves after a five-year spell in Milan, having suffered a frustrating season and finishing second behind city rivals Inter.

    "We lost together, we suffered together, we won and rejoiced together... You have an energy that we tried to put on the field," Pioli said as he thanked the fans during his speech on the pitch after the game.

    "You put a fire in my heart and it will always remain lit. I will not forget you."

    Pioli led the Rossoneri to their first league title in over a decade in 2022 but they have struggled to challenge since and are 18 points behind Inter, who visit Verona for their final game on Sunday.

    The seven-time European champions bowed out of the Champions League in the group stage earlier this season before getting knocked out of the Europa League by Roma in the quarter-finals.

    "I experienced emotions thanks to our fans that don't happen often in the career of a coach," Pioli added to DAZN.

    "They filled my heart with joy and gratification. I can only be proud of what we did together, to be forever in the history books of such a prestigious club.

    "This experience took me to this moment and I want to keep building, if I get the possibility, something special.

    "I am very demanding with myself, I leave my comfort zone. I know what to ask from the club and players, I know what it takes to raise the level again. That is the joy of this profession.

    "We were the youngest squad to win the Scudetto and I watched these lads become men. I can say that I have the ambition to try to repeat something special."

    As for his future, Pioli hinted that the Premier League could be an option if the opportunity arises.

    "I am studying English, it might be the right time," he continued. "We'll see over the next 10-15 days, which could be decisive, but I don't feel the pressure to choose anything in particular.

    "I realised that I am very resilient and tenacious. This is part of the growth process for a coach.

    "I don't like coaches who talk too much, above all those who are not working now or worked in the past and talk a lot. They've all been through the same things we have, they know judgment could be more balanced."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.