EPL

Klopp made Liverpool commitment to lead 'necessary' rebuild

By Sports Desk January 24, 2023

Jurgen Klopp says the chance to lead a "necessary" rebuild at Liverpool was a key motivation behind his decision to sign a new contract last year.  

Klopp committed his future to the Reds – with whom he has won seven trophies including the Premier League and Champions League – until 2026 when he penned a new deal last April.

Having gone close to winning an unprecedented quadruple last season, Liverpool have disappointed this term, sitting 10 points adrift of the Premier League's top four in ninth place. 

With Liverpool stalwarts such as Jordan Henderson and Fabinho struggling this season, many onlookers have suggested the Reds' side must be refreshed, and Klopp concurs.

"I'm not saying it's the biggest challenge, but it's a challenge, and it was one of the main reasons why I signed a new contract, because I knew it was necessary [to rebuild]," Klopp said during an appearance on BT Sport's Football People podcast.

"It will not go overnight, and imagine the situation now with another coach in the chair. I would be somewhere on holiday and everybody would shout my name, 'with him it would not have happened!' 

"I'm obviously not a miracle worker. That's why it's good how it is, because of all the problems you have in a transitional period – we have an awful lot of injuries and that makes life really complicated. 

"I have no problem with that because obviously I know the majority of the outside world are just interested in the short term, but we have to be long-term focused as well."

Liverpool are not the only giant marooned in mid-table this season, with Chelsea below them on goal difference after the sides played out a dismal goalless draw on Saturday.

While Chelsea have spent big to attract Mykhaylo Mudryk and Benoit Badiashile in the current transfer window, Klopp insists Liverpool cannot afford to conduct business in the same way.

"There are obviously plenty of different ways you can do it, but it's all based on the situation you are in," he said.

"Chelsea with the new ownership obviously… nobody knows exactly how they do it, how they can spend this much money. 

"Nobody likes me talking about other teams, but transition needs time if you don't have endless money, otherwise you can change it overnight pretty much, by bringing in 10 players."

While Klopp will have spent 11 years at Anfield if he sees out the remainder of his contract, he does not believe he will stay in the game as long as some other coaches have.

"I know I dream of football, so that's not cool… the job is incredibly demanding, it is, but it's great as well," Klopp added.

"When Roy Hodgson came back again [to Watford last season], I saw him and asked him, 'do you have a wet flat? You go again?' He says, 'no, I love it'.

"I cannot see myself beyond 70 and still standing in the dugout in every weather, and especially each weather for training, two hours standing there in the wind. I can't see that. 

"I hope other things are that interesting to me that I am really fine with not being involved anymore."

Related items

  • 'What a waste of money' – Potter warns Chelsea new boys must deal with derisive chants 'What a waste of money' – Potter warns Chelsea new boys must deal with derisive chants

    Graham Potter has warned Chelsea's new signings about the derision they will face from opposing fans after Fulham's supporters described Enzo Fernandez as "a waste of money".

    Chelsea had three of their January signings in the starting XI as they slumped to a goalless draw at home to west London rivals Fulham on Friday, leaving the Blues 10 points adrift of the Premier League's top four.

    Chelsea spent a reported £294.8million in the January transfer window alone, making Fernandez the Premier League's record signing on deadline day having already acquired Mykhaylo Mudryk, Benoit Badiashile, Andrey Santos, David Datro Fofana, Joao Felix, Noni Madueke and Malo Gusto.

    Though Fernandez was largely impressive on his debut, the World Cup winner was taunted by Fulham's travelling fans, who directed chants of "what a waste of money" towards him.

    Potter knows Chelsea's recent arrivals must get used to that type of treatment, saying: "It's not just Enzo, it's the whole team.

    "It's normal because we have spent the money we've spent and you guys aren't going to let that go under the radar, so all of football will be singing that song.

    "We need to improve as a team. If you look back 18 months, Chelsea were not scoring and they thought they would spend £100m on a centre-forward and that would fix all the problems, and it didn't. 

    "You have to act better as a team. That's our challenge. That's what we need to do."

    Chelsea's spending has attracted criticism from rival managers, with Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp joking he would not speak about the Blues' business without a lawyer present. 

    Manchester City's Pep Guardiola, meanwhile, implied there would be more of a backlash if the champions embarked on a spending spree similar to Chelsea's.

    Asked about those comments, Potter said: "Everybody's entitled to their opinion. It's a free world, it's free speech, which is good. 

    "[Guardiola and Klopp] are entitled to their opinion. I don't worry too much about that. They've got their right to speak."

    With Chelsea winning one of their six Premier League games since the turn of the year, Potter is under pressure to get his squad to gel quickly, but the former Brighton and Hove Albion boss does not know how long it will take.

    "I don't think anyone could give you a timescale," he added. "If I could get a month for every time I was asked that question, I would be here for five years."

  • Rumour Has It: Bayern Munich looking to pry Fati from Barcelona Rumour Has It: Bayern Munich looking to pry Fati from Barcelona

    The future of Ansu Fati at Barcelona appears to be increasingly uncertain.

    Fati was a revelation when he first broke into the Barca first team, but has suffered several injury issues that have halted his momentum.

    Even when fit, Fati has struggled to get into Xavi's side this season, featuring in 30 games but only nine times from the start, with six goals and three assists to show for it.

    And reports are starting to emerge that vultures may be circling to offer the Spain international more regular football.

     

    TOP STORY – BAYERN LEAD THE WAY IN HUNT FOR ANSU FATI

    Mundo Deportivo reports that Bayern Munich are at the head of a queue of seven European clubs interested in making a move for Fati at the end of the season.

    It is also mentioned that four of the seven potential suitors come from the big-spending Premier League, though only Arsenal and Tottenham are named.

    The player only signed a new deal in 2021 that committed him to Barca until 2027, with a release clause of €1billion, but the continued absence of Fati in the starting XI even after Ousmane Dembele's latest injury is apparently a concern to the player's agent, Jorge Mendes.

    ROUND-UP

    Barca, Atletico Madrid and Milan are all looking at a move for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at the end of the campaign after Chelsea surprisingly left the striker out of their Champions League squad, according to the Mail.

    Chelsea are poised to join Manchester United in targeting Napoli hitman Victor Osimhen as the Blues look to solve their goalscoring problems, report the Mirror.

    Real Madrid turned down the chance to sign Joao Cancelo on loan from Manchester City before he went to Bayern on transfer deadline day, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    – The Mail has pointed to Tottenham's good relations with Atletico as reason for their optimism about signing Jan Oblak and Yannick Carrasco at the end of the season.

    – The Mirror reports that Manchester United will look to move on six players at the end of the season, including Harry Maguire, Scott McTominay, Anthony Martial and Donny van de Beek.

  • Moyes: Rice would blow British transfer record out of the water Moyes: Rice would blow British transfer record out of the water

    Declan Rice will set a British record fee if he leaves West Ham at the end of the season, David Moyes believes.

    The Hammers captain has long been linked with a move across London to Chelsea, while Arsenal have reportedly made the England international their prime target ahead of next season.

    Chelsea recently set a new British transfer record with the deadline day captain of Enzo Fernandez, splashing a reported £107million on the Argentina World Cup winner, but Moyes does not expect that record to stand for long.

    In fact, he believes a deal for Rice would not only surpass that figure but would "blow it out of the water".

    "Undoubtedly Declan is going to be a top player. He'll be a British transfer record if he ever leaves West Ham," he told the BBC following West Ham's 1-1 draw against Newcastle United.

    "There's a lot of talk about it and when you see what's going about for the prices, I think Dec will be blowing that out of the water, that's for sure, when it comes around."

    Asked whether he felt an exit for Rice was inevitable, Moyes added: "I hope it's not. I hope he sees his time here."

    Rice has 18 months remaining on his contract at the London Stadium, meaning a sale would be required next season to avoid losing him on a free transfer in 2024.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.